Toymods » General Car Talk » Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 00:07 Go to next message
got a pair of h4 halogen 4000k bulbs the other day
fitted them in the sprinter and they turned out brighter than before but still arent bright enough.

whats the maximum k i can get without my car blowing up?

and what brand is the best because i saw a phillips set and the japanese set

http://photobucket.com/albums/v358/poh_86/

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 13:45]

Send a private message to this user    
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a hid kit from wei...
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wei?
0_o
who is that? sorry im kinda new to this forum Confused
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86T
UUP-46X
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~visionr/

I'm pretty sure this is his site from memory,
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks dude
your memory is pretty good Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is HID really worth it?

what about high wattage white point (5000k) color bulbs like raybrig?

a set can be had for $100AUD for 125/130W 5000k bulbs
thing is to obtain 125/130 wattage brightness, they only use 55/60w draw on the electrical system!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
99.9% of aftermarket HID kits aren't road legal anyways.
They need to be self leveling to be ADR compliant.
Along with needing to have headlight washers and a bunch of other stuff.

I was looking for legal HID kits for a while and found only a few kits that were legal and they were all model specific. (No ST18X series celica ones unfortunately)
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter Tue, 18 January 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift: yeh i know exactly what u mean.. 55/60w is the maximum and im not sure if the electrics can handle a 5000k bulb. i was contemplating on getting a brighter pack but when i saw the 95 dollar price tag at motorquippe at burwood i was abt to run out of the door screaming and pulling my hair out
a soft comprimise with a 4000k and he said i wouldnt get haslted by cops costed me 60 bucks =\

i got a few pics of it
http://photobucket.com/albums/v358/poh_86/

tell me what u guys think

theres a before and after, comparison to my golf.
they arent as white in real life

and toobs: where can u get hid from and how much roughly?

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 09:09]

toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poh 86: was ur upgrade really worth it in ur mind ? i am still running standard and wouldnt mind improving mine, but i am thinking if it is worth saving the extra and gettin a HID kit
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well for temporary usage yes it was ok. because i have dry points in my electrics. once i was driving i didnt even know that my head lights turned off by themself until my frend told me Confused

so with brighter headlights in mind i can see if they are actually working and that they can reach the extra distance at night. its the legal ones u can get, and i dont want to get defected yet by arsehole cops (still paying off car and debts and future funds). the worker at motoquippe burwood was telling me abt it and stingy cops that 4000k white will get away with it.. yet they have heaps of stock of the brighter ones. dont know why if they suggest legal limits
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and also. i might cut out the lamp shade around it inside the housing if it makes it any brighter?
but i havent tested it at night to see how bright it is
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's not just the metal part around the globe it has to do with the reflections and material used (keep in mind it was budget material when made)

I suggest you look at getting JDM/Kouki headlights... aus spec lights have very poor visibilty and restrict brightness... hids, bright globes and cutting the shade won't make much difference... From my guesses... JDM lights increase visibilty by about 50m and 200m with high beams and brightness increased by 100% easily.. i paid 600 for my pair with fogs and i can't think of any better way to spend the money if u want increased brightness

also note that those panasonic/phillips globes dont' acctually increase visibility by much if at all... they are just a whiter/bluer/cyrstal light

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 10:57]

poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i read abt that in the trader some guy selling the kouki head lights
and i looked online at vision r and saw them selling for 1,450 shipped
i also wanted to run out of my room and scream yanking my hair out lol

i jus got something temporary it was better than my old ones for sure i could only see abt 20m infront of me... and the rest was all dim for abt another 10

phillips are OK but not the best. it would have been nice to have actual displays of the globe in use. but oh welps

shiri what do u recommend for good globes? considering price and stock housing. that is for kouki and aus spec.
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im using phillips blue vision for my kouki headlights but i had them in my aus specs as well...

When i changed over the stock globes to blue visions when i had my aus spec lights... i couldn't notice the difference and i really thought i got ripped off... i still couldn't see past 10m infront of me... i havn't tested stock lights in my kouki's...

if u REALLY want me to go i can go take a pic of my lights now... but i don't have a lighted garage like you do so it would be hard to compare
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always wanted my headlights to look like this...

http://img111.exs.cx/img111/6046/bright4uf.jpg
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok kool dude. same here on bluevision. im considering on getting the lamps in abt 2 months time if theres any around.
is the one in the pic hid??
my frend has bright bright white ones like i mean like stadium type light on his sil80 i was tailing him. didnt have to worry about mine going out for one second

also thats some low as spotties
is it illegal to have those coloured spotties in aus?

considering my bulbs. i think they are bright but considering i was in the car park and the lamps on.. i think its got potential as is.
banhbao
Regular

September 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^ is dat pic from option? Rolling Eyes
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Tue, 18 January 2005 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or you could do what i've done.
http://img98.exs.cx/img98/4581/UploadDSCF5143.jpg
Spot the hairy ringhole of a kangaroo from a klick away. Evil or Very Mad
And get comments of "Rally car" Cool
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Head light bulb for sprinter now with pics Wed, 19 January 2005 00:22 Go to previous message
HID's are worth it IMO even if they aren't ADR compliant ...

I've tried fitting mine on but they don't seem to work - I am not sure if the AE86 electrical system is outdated that they are incompatible in stock form to actually turn on / off the ballast unit with its current.

I know that Bill Sherwood's got some in his but left that to an auto electrician to fit them so couldn't tell me if there were additional mods required.

Too lazy at the moment to figure it out but I've already arranged for someone to look at it sometime in the near future (along with other upgrades planned).

Even with HID, you still have the following issues:

1) getting a system which has hi / low beams or just getting a kit with low beams only;

2) I think even if you put in HID, the standard headlight housing on an AE86 will be its downfall ultimately - no use putting in a bright light if the reflective housing is faded over 20 years. And unlike Truenos, I'm not aware of any Levin replacement housings available.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help! How to comply Mk3 1989 Supra in SA?
Next Topic:My poor corona - pics inside
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 02:55:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062360763549805 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.