Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 01:40 Go to next message
New thread to coincide with my other thread "Holden Brarina" in my quest to convince my girlfriend not to get a Holden over a Toyota.
What about Astras? Anyone know what problem areas they may have? A mate's sister had one with a Pulsar engine in it and it was okay. She is looking for an around the mid '90's model. Can anyone give me some pointers? Much appreciated.

Send a private message to this user    
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for goodness sake, for her budget/build date range, an early 90's corolla is the ultimate chick car made by toyota.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Corolla is NOT a chic's car thankyou...
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure it is, it's got a girly A series motor. and the front wheels spin.
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll second that saying that a rolla isnt a chick's car...chicks can drive em, but they arnt chick's cars. Razz

my sister is in a similar situation. just on her p's, looking for a first car....i say that she gets a rolla hatchback, but she has interests in an excel!!! Confused

what can i say to convince her not to get a hyundai,and to get a toyota?? apart from the fact that toyotas are so much better....like whats wrong with excel's?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tell her excels were/are designed to be throw away cars.. rolla's are better than excels. though to me rolla's are like civics Smiley =
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not tell them to look at a Paseo. They are a good little car if you dont mind a 2 door
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a starlet over a Paseo, they go harder and are more practical
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mum has a paseo... uses about 6L/100km. her one has about 45,000k's on it and it's a 91 model.. runs like a dream.

on a side not, I'd love a little sports car about that size which was RWD
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Nissan N13 pulsars ('88-'91 from memory) come with the holden 1.6 or 1.8L motor, depending what level of model you get, such as GL, Sports, or 'Q'. This is the same motor as the LD Astra with the same body.

If you get the sports or Q model, it has an injected 1.8L, which is reliable as anything, and cheap as chips to get parts for the motor, but the LSD gearbox is a bit pricey if you have to replace or repair it.

Unfortunately, I have to say I'd chose an N13 pulsar Q over an early 90's 4AF carby motor in a corolla, unless you plan to convert it to injected 4AG or the like (or just find an SX, for a stupid price). The Q is good value and fairly easy to find at a good price, and has A/C, p/steer & central locking (& nice seats & interior) all as standard fitment.
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Holden Astra Sun, 10 November 2002 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remedy wrote on Sun, 10 November 2002 20:50

Get a starlet over a Paseo, they go harder and are more practical

Only the turbo Starlet goes harder but thats an import and a lot more expesive on insurance. But when it comes to practicality yeah the starlet is better.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Holden Astra Mon, 11 November 2002 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Sun, 10 November 2002 17:56

A Corolla is NOT a chic's car thankyou...

HAHAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: Holden Astra Mon, 11 November 2002 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey bugman,

"sure it is, it's got a girly A series motor. and the front wheels spin. "

Girly A series? Time to bring the 4-A-gze out to show you what girly means i guess Razz

Someone was saying they want a small rear wheel drive.. Drive a Aw11 Mr2..Doesnt get much smaller than that.
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Holden Astra Wed, 13 November 2002 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corolla? front wheels? girly?

/me looks at the smoke pouring out of the rear wheel arches of his ae86.

hmmm... not me!
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Holden Astra Thu, 14 November 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey... are you forgeting something... no use paying out a fellow toyota car...even if it is a corlla.. with a A series engine.. shhes.. what is the world coming to... Confused
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Holden Astra Thu, 14 November 2002 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dylusion wrote on Thu, 14 November 2002 15:38

hey... are you forgeting something... no use paying out a fellow toyota car...even if it is a corlla.. with a A series engine.. shhes.. what is the world coming to... Confused

I find that's what this forum is coming to... everyone thinks their car is the bomb, disregarding the merits of anyone elses car. Crying or Very Sad

fast fours forum is a little less hostile i find... good mix of ricers, sleepers, nicers, flyers, bombs etc.. everyones opinion is pretty cool
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: Holden Astra Sat, 16 November 2002 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To all who've posted in this thread - THANKS HEAPS FOR YOUR INPUT!

I've found much the same thing Les is referring to. Everyone lately raves about how their car is THE car and bags any other mention of another car. I for one LOVE my car, but in the long run it's just an AE92 with a crappy 4A-FC motor with a ricey chrome tipped 2" exhaust and front body scoop. Wow. But I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in for something like the other cars some of you have, Soarers, better Corollas and the like. But its the AE92 for now and I love her. But I envy some of the speedhogs you guys drive.

Once again cheers.

And a Corolla is NOT a girl's car!!

[Updated on: Sat, 16 November 2002 07:32]

mr_messy
Regular

May 2002

icon14.gif  Re: Holden Astra Sat, 16 November 2002 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup for practicality...toyota starlet
theyre great little cars...
im not saying its the best car its a bit small but that makes easy for parking getting round town n stuff...
also it doesnt do bad going interstate either...i drive up and down melbourne, from sydney, a lot...and it hasnt skipped a beat...and despite being small and light running over a dead kangaroo doesnt really unsettle the car much..
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Holden Astra Mon, 18 November 2002 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my fiance was looking at getting a charade or a lancer but I talked her into getting a '92 Seca and she loves it. They aren't cheap to buy but if they are looked after they are as reliable as anything. Also heaps of boot space for me to chuck parts in at the wreckers, oh she loves that! Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Holden Astra Mon, 18 November 2002 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard84 wrote on Sat, 16 November 2002 18:32

To all who've posted in this thread - THANKS HEAPS FOR YOUR INPUT!

.....And a Corolla is NOT a girl's car!! ...

yes it is....my sister has one Laughing jokes !!!
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Holden Astra Wed, 20 November 2002 05:00 Go to previous message
One of my mates has a rolla.... and he's a bit of a girl!

I'm not sure whether this proves or disproves your theory though?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Honda Add, 7 speed auto???
Next Topic:Cressida Wagon with full kit!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:16:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051100254058838 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.