Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sat, 09 November 2002 13:56 Go to next message
lessons learnt tonight:

1. Never drive hard when you're not feeling 100%
2. No matter how good you think you are, you're not
3. No 2 cars handle exactly alike. Never drive a car you're not used to to the limits, as it may do unexpected things.
4. Sometimes you get given a chance. Make the most of it and LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!

How did I learn all this?

Was driving the supra tonight (in an unnamed place, for legal reasons) with 2 other sports cars with me. I'd thought to myself that it handled just like my celica, but with less understeer, so I figured I had it under control. Coming round a corner at a little over 100 (almost redlining in 3rd gear, whatever that is), and I figured the back might give a little wiggle, and the front might skid a little... much like my celica does.
Wrong.
The back slips a LONG way out, which is ok.. I can handle that. Promptly gently correct the opposite way to bring it back in. Which is where I hit problem number 2. I'm used to my non-power steering celica. Unfortunately in the supra, turning the wheel my usual amount to correct actually caused a large over-correct.

This spun my car 90 degrees, at 100km/hr, and mounted the front half of the car up the gutter. At this point, the car suddenly snaps a 180, and comes to a smoking stop in the middle of the road, facing the gutter. My first thought wasn't for my own safety, it was to get moving. Tried to start it. Nothing. Next step was to inspect for damage.

Amazingly, the front spoiler has 1 new large crack, 1 new small crack, and the support was already broken... So I'm thinking I was pretty lucky. Thinking this shouldn't have killed the engine, I get back in and try to start it again, and it starts no problems.

Drive away, had a chat to the guys with me, and then went back around, parked, and had a look what had happened. Upon inspection of the site (and fast talking a not-so-bright rent-a-cop) I find out I've snapped a 6" fence post clean out of the ground, and taken a sizeable chunk of the fence with it. The resulting spin took my car away from the large tree it almost hit.

So I count myself VERY lucky to have gotten away with it, only 1 panel of my car is damaged (and easily replaced/removed), and I now know to keep the celica for thrashing, and the supra remains a grandpa car till I learn it's ways.
  Send a private message to this user    
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sat, 09 November 2002 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lets hope this thread makes some people think twice about their driving, i know all to well how a laps of concentration can cause you to loose it Embarassed
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sat, 09 November 2002 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scary stuff
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sat, 09 November 2002 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You sound like me...only I havent had my XX long enough to muck around with as you have.

One of the first things you notice is the way they like to oversteer... Smile

Good thing you're alright though dude Nod
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 10 November 2002 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thing is, I was fairly sure the back was gong to chirp... I was pushing it on purpose (not smart in a car I've driven 3 times).

as usual, it took a combination of things for the acident to occur. Stupidity, a LOT more oversteer than I expected, and accidentally over-correcting due to being not used to the steering.

All in all, I'm glad I got away with it as cheaply as I did
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 10 November 2002 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and thanks for the concern guys... but I wasn't at any point worried about injuries to myself ... just to the car Razz

it's only thinking back on it now.. losing it at 100, that I realise how lucky I was.
20m further down the road and I'd be wrapped around a tree where there's no guard rail
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 10 November 2002 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you sound like me when my car turned itself around for the first time in the wet..."is my car alright???" my gf slapped me! Very Happy
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon12.gif  Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 10 November 2002 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats how i learnt my driving lesson, nearly killed myself!!! from then on its just responsable driving.
JUZZO
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 10 November 2002 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea well, health insurance covers repairing me... my car is uninsured.
plus I love my car more Smile

um... it will keep me sensible in the supra until i learn it (read : 6 months in the future)
I'll still spank my celica around, because I know I can get myself out of trouble in it (even tho it corners worse and brakes worse, i know it bumper to bumper)
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 10 November 2002 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll never forget when I just got my P's 'bout a year and a half ago and I spun da's '99 Falcon round 180 degrees in the wet. Thing was, I was going straight through a large roundabout, gently accelerated out of it as normal and off it went. I wasn't hooning at all (promise!). That's when I learnt not to fight the steering and dad has taken for a few rips to show me how to save my arse a couple of times. Advanced driver course this summer though. Very Happy Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 10 November 2002 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine happened on a small roundabout, arse spun out....scared the shit out of me, this was when I was on my P's.

You learn to get used to it, especially when you spend a lot of time in the car (pizza delivery Very Happy ). I remember one particular time talking on the hands free to my dad when on a delivery, "wait a sec dad..." "whats going on son?" "nah, nothing much, just came out of the roundabout sideways, my car does that from time to time" Smile

same thing both times though, I wasn't driving crazy, but it was wet. stupid old Maxxis tyres, can't do that so much with my RE711's...
freaky
Regular

October 2002
Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Sun, 17 November 2002 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
work @ caryard and get to pick from variety of cars to drive as company car, had the same bad experience, DONT BE STUPID, every car handles differently and u dont kno what can give way so dont push it unless its your own car and u know the area where u'r driving, my mistake only cost me $1600 and lucky it was a rexy otherwise it could have been more, part of the problem was driving an auto rexy and then i was disapointed and underestimated the manual one, huge difference!! Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Wed, 27 November 2002 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u almost had a crash like mine.. glad that u (and the car) are still with us Cool

TAKE IT EASY !!!!!!!!!
Fat_KE70
Regular

October 2002
Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Thu, 28 November 2002 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well have a look at the pic..
I managed to walk out of this with a few cracked discs in my back which 18 months later has only really just recovered, a very sore chest(seatbelt) and an even sorer jaw(where i knocked myself ou ton the steering wheel) luckily no one was on the footpath where i hit the pole.(was a popular nightspot in hobart). lucky i had the car insured.
I was travelling round this slight bend still in 2nd doing bout 65-70 when i see brakelights of the car in front of me. i went to merge to the left lane and thats the last thing i remember before waking up and going in the back of an ambo! witnesses say there was a di@khead playing chicken on the road but i cant remember it. anyway the car jumped the kerb and smacked into the pole. wrote of my car and knocked the pole out of the ground. bought the car back off of the insurance company and stripped it. the bloke who brought the motor stripped it and said i busted the block in 2 spots twisted the crank and broke 3 main caps!!! btw the cv shaft was snapped in the middle when i pulled the car down.(it was a big hit). i shortened the drivers side by 300 mm pused thge floor pan up under the pedals and ripped it away from the drivers sill panel thingy(side skirt thing). was the only black twincam i knew of in tasssie apart from an fx gt.

Since then i have slowed down a little bit and dont take everything for granted..
LOOK OUT AND EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Thu, 28 November 2002 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where's the pic?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Thu, 28 November 2002 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In avatar man !! dammm ! Crying or Very Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: let this be a warning to all you kiddies (and I count my lucky stars I'm here) Fri, 29 November 2002 04:45 Go to previous message
you're lucky you came away with your life.
good thing about my crash was I did spin.
if I hadn't have spun, the damage to me and the car would have been much worse.

although if I didn't spin, I wouldn't have lost control in the first place Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:heater fans
Next Topic:Bathurst 24 hour
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:22:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068860054016113 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.