Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mullett
Occasional Poster

July 2004
4AGZE Overboost pulleys Tue, 18 January 2005 09:13 Go to next message
I am currently in the process of modifying my AW11SC MR2, and the idea of an overboost pulley has crossed my mind more than once. But, I have access to a full CNC machining shop, so if there is enough interest I will make up a run of them for all the fans of this great engine...I will need some dimensions though, so if someone has some good drawings of a 12psi pulley, or can lend me one for a while, that would be great. Even a standard pulley will do, as long as I can work out the dimensoions needed for the belt in the new one.
Anyone interested? PM me or reply below Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Tue, 18 January 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Overboost pulley? Never heard of it called that before! Only an overdrive pulley.

If you want to make your own...you'll prolly need to copy the design of a stock SC12 pulley and enlarge it and lighten it. If you want to make them well and ensure they're balanced at high rpm you'll need to design the pullies on a CAD program.

gluck mate. Happy GZEing Smile
Mullett
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Tue, 18 January 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that was the idea. I have access to some of the latest Harding CNC gear, so acuraccy is not an issue. I really just need a stock pulley to copy off, and some interested buyers. No point writing the program for 2 pulleys.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Tue, 18 January 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ageeza wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 19:32

If you want to make your own...you'll prolly need to copy the design of a stock SC12 pulley and enlarge it and lighten it.

enlarging the s/c pulley will make less boost, not more.

Mullett, most people use a larger crank pulley to gain more boost from the sc12. the 165mm crank pulley by memory is the 12psi one.
there has been some smaller fixed pullies made for the sc12 before.
Mullett
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Wed, 19 January 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I was actually under the idea of making one to suit the supercharger...I've been told that there isn't much you can put on the crank in the MR2 before you run out of room. Is that the case?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Wed, 19 January 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont forget that your SC12 will melt at about 12000rpm...

you might have to look at the arrangement of the electromagnetic clutch too if you are going to put on a smaller SC pulley. One dude somewhere got some made up with a new clutch as part of the whole package.
UUP-46X
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Wed, 19 January 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Get an oversized NEVO crank pulley for it, this alows the extra boost once fitted & set up correctly, This is what i will be in the market for in the not to distant future,
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Wed, 19 January 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have an aw11 4AGZE from a trueno.... same deal

i have a 175mm crank pulley, this is the largest that will fit, it almost doesn't, very tight

much easier to fit a larger crank pulley, as has been said the sc12 is on an electomagnetic clutch and it would b a good idea not to ignore this...

if a nevo pulley is too expensive u can press a ford falcon around ur standard crank pulley to get more boost
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Wed, 19 January 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know everyone advises against smaller s/c pulleys but im gonna add my 2c.

i had a smaller s/c pulley, it was solid mounted (no clutch) and with long intercooler piping and a largish cooler it made 15psi. now i know everyone says 'you cant boost it over 14psi' bla bla bla but most of these people dont have any first hand experience, they are just repeating crap they have heard. i ran this set up for only a little over a year, but the guy i bought it from ran it for about 5 years WITHOUT a FMIC, only a top mount under the bonnet with NO scoop. after all that time there was no trouble with the s/c, the car went fukin hard until the power dropped off after 6000rpm which is expected. maybe its bad for the s/c, but i reckon its worth it cause even if you had to replace it every 5 years, they only cost $200 so its not that much of a big deal.

i dont have the s/c pulley atm, im still wating for someone to give it back to me but when i get it ill measure it up, unless i can find the measurements before hand. i do still have pics somewhere however if wanted. if you want more info just ask.

sorry for the LONG post Rolling Eyes
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Wed, 19 January 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did run a 90mm fixed s/c pulley for 2 weeks (had it on loan)before i did my turbo conversion, the s/c produced boost faster and harder than my mates 175mm crank pulley'd aw11 4agze did. i liked it. Evil or Very Mad (i was getting about 12-13psi).

as ke35 - 4AGZE said 175mm is max size to fit for any 4agze crank pulley, and that is spose to put you up around the 14psi mark.

Mullett, making a fixed smalled s/c pulley wouldnt be too hard a job given you have access to a machining shop. people say it flogs the bearings out quicker, the s/c i had loan of had been running the 90mm fixed pulley for a couple years and still worked and sounded fine.
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the unlikely event of you actualy driving a non clutched s/c sedately, could it return fair economy.
crzysx
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer whats the fuel economy like on them with th fixed pulley. I was going to put mine on this weekend but was hesitant on fuel economy and the clutch.
Lucas777
Newcomer

November 2002
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keeping my presently standard MR2 4agz on boost draws as much as 27 litres/100km of 98 octane fuel.

I am going the crank pulley change route at the moment, and I investigated both crank and SC pulley options. A local perFOURmance shop originally did the crank pulley enhancement themselves using the ford pulley method. This method was not reccommended because the shrink process is quite costly.

Lucas777
Newcomer

November 2002
icon10.gif  Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, yeah...

SC Pulley changes can still be sourced in Japan, but it is a fussy process with me not speaking Japanese Smile

So I have decided on a Diabolique all aluminium pulley from the US (if they reply to my emails...) because it costs a lowly $350 odd AUD for the kit and the lighter constuction will perfom better than the rivals.

It is supposedly rugged enough (endorsed by my mechanic) but may require a water pump pulley change (not included) to be sure of reliability.

Sorry 4 the sermon
Lucas777
Newcomer

November 2002
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
....You have probably seen these links before, but if not then definitely check them out. Thay just about cover it!

http://speedchaser.net/small_pulley.htm
http://www.diaboliqueracing.com/pagediaboliqueMR2p ulley.html

That should be it Razz
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cantr say i noticed any difference in the fuel consumption when i ran a fixed pulley compared to the clutched factory one.
Lucas777
Newcomer

November 2002
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
27 l/100 km seems extreme, because I was wrong Embarassed
It was 19 l/100km and with that my 4agze is a little out of tune and the SC slips intermittently. But that was very hard driving Evil or Very Mad

I raced it recently anyway and got 175km from a full tank (used 33.5 litres).
irishtwincam
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86/tech/pulley/

Lightweight balanced pulleys for sale. 175mm OS crank pulley.
Pics and weight above...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucas777 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 20:29

27 l/100 km seems extreme, because I was wrong Embarassed
It was 19 l/100km and with that my 4agze is a little out of tune and the SC slips intermittently. But that was very hard driving Evil or Very Mad

That still seems majorly extreme, thats about the same as a 300kW V8 in an 1800kg Commodore.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the speedchaser dude is who i was referring to with the smaller SC pulley + clutch.

EVOSTi - the reason you probably experienced no power above 6000rpm, is because at that speed you were probably running the SC above its rated RPM. Its ok if you dont do it too long, but yes can burn the fokker out pretty fast if done regularly.

Personally i would just smack a turbo on.

Who here gets over 110kW atw with just 10psi from a supercharger??

I have driven an AE82 AE101 map GZE, which i rated as pretty quick, and still do (i helped with this conversion). I always found the power to be pretty linear and have good torque down low.

Upon chucking the turbo on pimpboy, i have found a whole new meaning to torque. Even before i start making full boost, the turbo just seems to have more guts to it... and then rips it over the GZE.

P.S. anyone here with a GZE sprinter etc - i challenge you. 16th Feb. WSID. DO IT.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Thu, 20 January 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i knew there was no power to be made after 6000rpm, i figured due to the fact at that rpm the s/c becomes more of a restriction than anything, especially when you take into account the beautifully made inlet manifold as standard Laughing

for those interested the fuel economy with the fixed pulley was what i considered still quite good. i could easily get over 400 kms with half normal driving and half hard driving (in a sprinter).

and yes theres definately more power to be made with a turbo, i just miss the spontaneous power of the s/c. waiting for 5000rpm for anything to happen is a bit annoying but fun when you get there. Surprised
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGZE Overboost pulleys Fri, 21 January 2005 01:43 Go to previous message
bah - everything happens at 3000=3500rpm for me Very Happy
will be much sooner too once i properly tune my Witzl Boost controller.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2005 01:45]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:s2k exhaust on ae86?
Next Topic:3S-GE Cams
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:22:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085608959197998 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.