Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 05:39 Go to next message
Hopefully the title got your attention Smile

I was reading the "Why BP is the best" thread, and figuring that some of us have no choice in the matter at all.

Short of a 200km round trip (for BP Ultimate; Mobil 8000 just doesn't happen in the bush), the only 98 fuel I can get is Optimax. You blokes in the cities have no idea how good you've got it Rolling Eyes

So the question is, when it is all that's available, surely Optimax is better than 95 RON premium? What did everyone do before 98 RON became available?

This is for the 1JZ Cressida I'm building for my Dad - it'll be hard enough to wean him off regular unleaded - the scarcity of real petrol isn't going to make the job any easier Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as you don't work the crap out of the 1JZ-GTE install, Optimax should be fine. The quality of fuel determines how 'hard' you can tune your car.

I really can't tell the difference between 98 Octane Shell Optimax and 98 Octane BP Ultimate. And yes, Optimax is better than any 95 Octane premium fuel. Use it.

Also, the Caltex/ Vortex V8 Super car uses Optimax. They all do. It's the control fuel for the whole series.

My 2cent

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2005 06:05]

AaronST185
Regular

December 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can't even get Mobil 8000, Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate in all of Tassie. Consider yourself lucky. My poor GT4 has to run on premium Sad
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petrol quality varies from petrol station to station even for the same company. However i see no dif from optimax and others i use em all cause im lazy and just want to get my petrol when its convinent for me. I understand that bp use ethanol in their petrol which tends to attract water which in turn leads to corrosion which is why i will only fill up at bp if im really lazy.

my 2 cents aswell
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 18:14

Petrol quality varies from petrol station to station even for the same company. However i see no dif from optimax and others i use em all cause im lazy and just want to get my petrol when its convinent for me. I understand that bp use ethanol in their petrol which tends to attract water which in turn leads to corrosion which is why i will only fill up at bp if im really lazy.

my 2 cents aswell

i thought the ethanol was shell?? Shocked
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all stations say they dont use ethanol

who cares BP is best...
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Give me ultimate , or give me detonation Razz
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ultimate or ban Laughing
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1j will run fine on shell crap.. just wont have as much hoot as with ultimate, i can notice the diff
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bp admit to using ethanol but provide a fuel guarantee (not that you could prove anything) shell have stickers all over their pumps stating that no ethanol is added to the petrol.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate just told me his car detonates depending on what day he gets his Optimax. Somedays it's fine, some times it's bad. Something to do with when the truck unloads, compared to when he fills up.

WTF?

Octane floats/ settles? Weird...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All you people that say ultimate is better and you can feel the difference, your limp wristed homos.
If you get some fresh ultimate and fresh optimax, you will never tell the difference. Redcliffe dyno proved this on a fair few cars.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They're not homos, they just like the band Placebo. SYKE! Twisted Evil
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 21:34

who?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 22:41

who?

with mine, you can notice a bit of oomph gone, not a lot.. but if your really trying to feel it.. you can
its especially evident with about 2 week old fuel, ultimate always feels fine.. but my car feels like crap with optimax
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been useing Bp ultimate for a week know... I can tell you know it runs smoother.. And dosent drink as much as regular does... And pulls abit harder Wink Bp ultimate all the way Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 22:05

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 22:41

who?

with mine, you can notice a bit of oomph gone, not a lot.. but if your really trying to feel it.. you can
its especially evident with about 2 week old fuel, ultimate always feels fine.. but my car feels like crap with optimax

Man your dreamin. Or you been buying optimax at some indian restaurant Rolling Eyes
wumpagrande1992
Regular

July 2002
Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 22:28

A mate just told me his car detonates depending on what day he gets his Optimax. Somedays it's fine, some times it's bad. Something to do with when the truck unloads, compared to when he fills up.

WTF?

Octane floats/ settles? Weird...

The fuel might be hot in the tanker when it unloads and hot fuel is bad for performance.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem apparently with Optimax isn't its ability when new, its that it tends to have some nasty qualities such as leaving deposits in fuel systems, or losing its octane quicker, or generally not lasting as long.

Shane, you said it yourself, comparing fresh batches there shouldn't be a performance difference, but the Ultimate seems to be the most consistent.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Wed, 19 January 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 00:39

The problem apparently with Optimax isn't its ability when new, its that it tends to have some nasty qualities such as leaving deposits in fuel systems, or losing its octane quicker, or generally not lasting as long.

Shane, you said it yourself, comparing fresh batches there shouldn't be a performance difference, but the Ultimate seems to be the most consistent.

Thats all bullshit. I know fuck all about fuels, one thing I do know is that a massive company like Shell is not going to be selling a fuel that goes off in a few hours.
If any of the two company's are going to have problem with their fuels, its going to be BP. Ethanol is prone to moisture, it sucks the moisture out of the air.
Any problems you are having comes down to the privately owned station your getting your fuel from.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who said anything about a few hours? This is all different though, because the formula is different from state to state.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've been sucked in by all the advertising bullshit.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You've got your head up your ass too far, stop looking for an argument. I barely see any of the advertising because BP doesn't have to compete with Shell or Mobil over here. I'm talking about the numerous discussions we've had on these very forums. No No No
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly my point. Your weak minded. You think BP is good because other people say it is. You might as well become an American.
You have no proof that BP is better than Shell or vise versa, so until you do, your stories mean shit.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And you are an antagonistic prick who has trouble with grammar, it's you're.

I don't believe I said in this thread that BP owns all. All I offered was experiences from a group of people. Until there becomes a law against that, you can just piss off Twisted Evil
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohh the little man is getting upset. You might aswell move to America because you sure are acting like one.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just keep going Shane, you're just proving my point for me.

Anyone else who is looking for stuff on this, there are plenty of threads around you can search for, some of which Shane wasn't acting quite like as much of the keyboard warrior he is now.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats right, I am a keyboard warrior. A very good one too it seems. I had no trouble getting you to bite did I? And you just keep biting ans biting Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 10:30

Just keep going Shane, you're just proving my point for me.

And what point is this exactly? The point that your acting as an American being controlled by the Medium?(i'm sure thats a song)
Rolling Eyes
Or the fact that i'm a proud Australian and can make up my own mind about things?
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forum arguments crack me up Laughing

How bout this: Shampoo VS Conditioner.

Opening argument:
"Shampoo is better; it cleans the hair"
"Nooo, conditioner leaves the hair silky and smooth"

Who cares. Make up your own mind.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 10:49

My point exactly.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about the fact that only bp and mobil are 98 octane where the rest are 96?
and go on, put a thing of optimax in ur tank and leave it for 2-3 weeks
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres another one controlled by all the advertising Laughing
I feel sorry for you people Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 09:04

Nope, Optimax indeed is 98RON.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 11:04

Optimax is 98. You obviously have no place in discussions on fuel.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 12:08

Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 11:04

Optimax is 98. You obviously have no place in discussions on fuel.

i havent seen any advetising for fuels in years?
i dont watch normal tv much..but even the little bit I do, i never see any fuel ads?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as I use 98 RON fuel I have never noticed a difference between brands. My car just kicks arse all the time Very Happy

Quote:

put a thing of optimax in ur tank and leave it for 2-3 weeks

I attended 2 dyno days about 4 weeks apart and used the same tank of optimax at both, car performed the same at both events Very Happy

My car recently sat in the garage for nearly 3 months becuase I had not time to drive/play with it and it had a 3/4 tank of optimax in it the whole time. Ran fine when I drove it after it's hibernation, pulled just as hard and clean as the day I filled it up.

My car is fairly pushed too, 1.6L making 170 - 180 rwkw on 19psi.

Meh, use what ever you like if you are happy with it.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 11:31

As long as I use 98 RON fuel I have never noticed a difference between brands. My car just kicks arse all the time Very Happy

Quote:

put a thing of optimax in ur tank and leave it for 2-3 weeks

I attended 2 dyno days about 4 weeks apart and used the same tank of optimax at both, car performed the same at both events Very Happy

My car recently sat in the garage for nearly 3 months becuase I had not time to drive/play with it and it had a 3/4 tank of optimax in it the whole time. Ran fine when I drove it after it's hibernation, pulled just as hard and clean as the day I filled it up.

My car is fairly pushed too, 1.6L making 170 - 180 rwkw on 19psi.

Meh, use what ever you like if you are happy with it.

You sir have now formally been knighted as a true Australian.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 11:49

Opening argument:

car wash vs car polish

"wash cleans your car"
"polish keeps your car clean"

btw, whats with all these american thing going on? FYI, i support the american more than australians!!!!

.....in the australian open tennis men's event that is Very Happy Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 20:36

Opening argument:

car wash vs car polish

"wash cleans your car"

btw, whats with all these american thing going on? FYI, i support the american more than australians!!!!

i support the hottest woman
whoever that is

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Thu, 20 January 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't seem to notice the diff between opti and ultimate. Actually the best I felt the car go was when I put normal premium in with some octane booster....
shaneblack
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Fri, 21 January 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't notice any difference between Optimax and Ultimate. As to the difference between those and normal premium unleaded and standard unleaded I know that many years back when I had the misfortune of owning a Hyundaii Excel I did some testing and found that there was slight improvements with the higher octanes. Nothing I could particulary feel when driving around on the flat but going up Mount Ousley in 5th gear at 80km/h I noticed that with normal premium unleaded the car would hold it's speed on the steepest parts of the hill, with Optimax it would accelerate a little, and with the standard it would lose speed. I also noticed a significant increase in economy on the Optimax, going from an average of 600km per tank on premium to 700km on Optimax.
General_Bupkiss
Regular

August 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Fri, 21 January 2005 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am a true blue optimax fan, always have been always will be. I have never tried, and probley never will try bp's new rubbish, as i once filled my rolla with bp premium (there 95/96 RON) and the car ran like ass and had no fuel economy compared to even other premiums. But due to the fact that unless I really want optimax my car hardly ever gets it, it is like a 15min drive to get it, so I just fill up with caltex vortex 98 wich to me seems very very close to optimax performance wise, and is vertuly the same economy wise.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Why Optimax is good Fri, 21 January 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought Caltex Vortex was 95 octane. Did they bring out a new Vortex and not tell me about it? If they did, i'll use those Wollies discount petrol coupons from now on.
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: Why Optimax is good Fri, 21 January 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shell isn't australia nor is BP so whats with the aussie thing?

Bp is british and shell is american or whatever.

BP - their fuels
Shell - Dont.

Here are the spec sheets of each:

http://tds-au.bp.com/bpglis/oztds3.nsf/d9626f8424d 26a26ca256a790031248a/93dffc02e497c295ca256b670017 715b?OpenDocument

Typical Characteristics

Product Ultimate

Mneumonic M98

Product Code 000231

TEST UNIT LIMIT METHOD
Octane Number RON Higher than 98 ASTM D2699
Colour Pale Yellow Visual
Appearance Clear & Bright Visual
Density @ 15°C kg/L Report ASTM D4052
Aromatics %vol 42 max ASTM D5580
Sulphur ppm less than 50 ASTM D1266
Benzene % vol Less than 1.0 ASTM D3606
Driveabilty Index Less than 570 Calculated

http://www.shell.com/static/au-en/downloads/fuels/ tds/shell_optimax_tds.pdf

SHELL OPTIMAX
PREMIUM UNLEADED PETROL
24/01/01 14128.doc
TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS
DESCRIPTION UNITS METHODS TYPICAL
Colour - Visual Yellow
Octane Number - ASTM D2699 98.4
Density kg/m3 ASTM D4052 760.0
Distillation - ASTM D86
10% evaporated @ oC - 45
50% evaporated @ oC - 105
90% evaporated @ oC - 155
Final Boiling Point oC - 196
Copper Corrosion
(3 hr @ 100 oC)
- ASTM D130 1a
Benzene % vol. ASTM D3606 3.3
Sulphur % mass ASTM D1266 .015
Document Information
PDS Number: 14128
Date Revised: 24th January 2001
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Sat, 22 January 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who said anything about the fuels being Australian?
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: Why Optimax is good Sat, 22 January 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 20:48

b1gb3n wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 20:36

Opening argument:

car wash vs car polish

"wash cleans your car"

i support the hottest woman
whoever that is

The russian girls are the hottest!
-Speaking of: turbo Lada's with the big chromies always run best on vodka, with the occasional dash of violence to control the (lack of) build quality Razz

...did anyone ever realise that different combustion chamber and engine designs might work better with different fuels?

And that when you compare todays tank of BP to last weeks Optimax that the humidity, air temperature, tire pressure, malibu stacey doll collection in the boot, and krusty cheeseburger stain on your blouse are exactly the same for your comparison Rolling Eyes

blah, if you like it, use it, if it uses you, like it. Very Happy
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Why Optimax is good Tue, 01 February 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, thanks for the lively debate, people Smile I think pclabrat summed it up nicely - "if you like it, use it, if it uses you, like it" Smile

I figured I'd use whatever I can get, but it was interesting to gain some perspective on the matter!

Ribbo raised another interesting point, though - normal fuel plus octane booster. I wondered about putting a tin of booster in the boot for 'emergency' refuels in out-of-the-way places, particularly for the planned 'round-Australia' trip.

Any recommendations for a worthwhile booster? Or do I just buy a drum of toluene? Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why Optimax is good Tue, 01 February 2005 10:55 Go to previous message
The second latest Street Machine had something about fuels in it. The octane booster they recommended was one of the Nulon ones, the guy was doing back to back testing on lots of fuels.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ssr mkIII's... where can i get these?
Next Topic:Mechanic to avoid
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 12:11:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086710453033447 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.