Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
icon8.gif  The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 00:21 Go to next message
I just watched the morning news on Channel 9.
What's her face said "Despite all the campaigning P platers continue to disregard the warnings in a string of accidents last night".

The voice over said "This Mitsubishi was seen weaving through traffic before hitting another car and spinning out. 5 people were taken to hospital but amazingly nobody was hurt. The car can be seen with that familiar plate again".
The lancer driver is a gronk and he's lucky nobody died and fair comment.

Next it's rainning somewhere in Sydney and a pedestrian lost his footing while trying to cross the road and ended up under the wheel of the car. Ummm.. what happened to the P plater driving business?

Next accident, someone was driving along and lost control at a bend and crashed into a ditch -- and what's that? No P plates!

When they do the "and coming up, P platers continue to ignore warnings.." bit I was actually thinking my God. I'm a P plater. My friends are P platers. Nobody seems to be driving any crazier, what's with this surge of people being dickheads. I was really interested in the story.

What does the media take us for? It's always been done. They mould a story to make it more interesting and make people sit up and take notice. This is no different I guess but nonetheless just as irritating Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solution == dont watch the news
Kimber
Occasional Poster

Banned Again

January 2005
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with thu187. Why is the media always out to portray EVERY P plater as an accident prone driver? And that article just makes me mad, as you said, where the hell is the relevence to the p platers?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, drivign at 110 back to sydney after i did my EFI conversion, on the Hume Hwy/M5, of the cars that overtook doing 120-130? more than half were fecking P-Platers..... that shits me. not all P drivers are fucked, but a lot have to learn what is safe.. simple as that.
Kimber
Occasional Poster

Banned Again

January 2005
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atleast thats not 130 on some country road.
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 11:25

solution == dont watch the news

as they say, no news is good news, i tend to agree Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its pretty straight forward

news needs what?

- viewers

who watches the news?

- old people

who do old people hate?

- young people

young people are all?

- tards

Eye Spin
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another P plater tread Rolling Eyes
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 14:42

news needs what?

- viewers

who watches the news?

- old people

who do old people hate?

- young people

young people are all?

- tards

Eye Spin

LOL nice work old man rob Laughing

and BigBen this is sort of more about the portrayal of P platers than what restrictions should be imposed on them.

Old people are crazy I tell you. Just went shopping and almost got hit by 4 old people driving and omgosh I'm walking along slowly and they are approaching perpendicular to from out of an aisle and head straight for my trolley! They don't even bother to look left and right -- just like when they drive! Laughing Twisted Evil
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and i bet somebody is just gonna pop up and say stuff like "P platers should be off the road, they r hoons etc etc..."

my sympathy to P platers to have to go against the media who psycho the old ppl, and it is the old ppl that cast votes and make the laws/rules
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 15:53

LOL nice work old man rob Laughing

i get it all from old man river i tells ya!!!! Razz
Kimber
Occasional Poster

Banned Again

January 2005
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe we should start driving like arabs. Laughing (If you havn't seen arab drifting you won't get this)
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant afford to drive like arabs with the cars arabs drive Sad
Kimber
Occasional Poster

Banned Again

January 2005
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries, buy yourself a hyundai elantra.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't wait til i get off the damn things, only 2 more months til the plates go woohooo!!!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 16:15

i get it all from old man river i tells ya!!!! Razz

Hey, I saw that!!!! Smile

seeyuzz
river
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 17:41

i can't wait til i get off the damn things, only 2 more months til the plates go woohooo!!!

lol only 2 years and 3 months till im off my P's Very Happy

WHO WANTS TO COUNT DOWN WITH ME??

NOLAN
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn i cant remember when my intl license expire Confused
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kimber wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 12:02

Atleast thats not 130 on some country road.

But it's 130 around a lot of cars, other cars also going quick. Plus P platers are inexperienced drivers.

Remember there's a lot less P platers than people on full licenses. It's all about ratio.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Fri, 21 January 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just went to the runs tonight, and idiots with their riced up cars full thrash their cars in lot to grab attention and do shit burn outs
wankers mate. bloody wankers.
but i did meet this fella from toymods that had a 4agze in his ke corolla Smile he was nice enough to look for a screw driver for us Smile toymods community rocks Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2005 14:51]

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: The Media on P Platers Sat, 22 January 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale_ta22 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 20:23

Plus P platers are inexperienced drivers.

I'm sorry but i believe that that statement is just too much of a generalisation. Some people on thier p's are quite experienced, however i think the thing which causes all this fuss is moreso overconfidence matched along with inexperience.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The Media on P Platers Sat, 22 January 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kimber wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 16:25

No worries, buy yourself a hyundai elantra.

No no, but the hyundai accident!!! I mean accent.... Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Sat, 22 January 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you think p-platers are bad drivers you should have seen an 40-50 yr old lady trying to parrallel park infront of my work. First she managed to scratch the car she was parking behind and then reversed into the car behind her like it wasnt there. Her shitty little excel managed to move a commadore with the hadbrake on 1m before she stopped getting out of her car like nothing happened. Point of this story there are alot of bad drivers on aussie roads and the thought of this lady teaching her 16yr old daughter how to drive frightens me.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 January 2005 04:31]

Freddoaw11
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Mon, 24 January 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/conspiracy theory] Doesn't everybody see who started all this mess, it was the nrma lobbying to the state government nearly a year ago now to put restrictions on p platers and quickly got turned down by the government, why would nrma do this? To improve there profit rating.

As this first attempt failed i think some money changed hands from nrma to a television station ( i presume it must be channel nine as they seem to have the least journalistic integrity of them all )

And tieing in with the old people watch the news old people hate young people said tv stations rating went up. What followed was the other commercial tv stations wondering what happened to there ratings then jumped on the band wagon.

With the major tv stations saying that p platers are hell spawn this changed the gullible public opinion ( it worked for mr howard didn't it? )

Now the question i want to ask after all these machinations by the nrma come to fruit and there risk factor for insuring young drivers goes down due to restrictions, do you think they will
lower there premiums?

I would be very surprised if they do....
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: The Media on P Platers Mon, 24 January 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a plater , get out of my way or I will lose control of my car and kill all around me.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: The Media on P Platers Mon, 24 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DiZ_ wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 19:14

I'm a plater , get out of my way or I will lose control of my car and kill all around me.

Laughing
why not? treat us like hoons we act like hoons Evil or Very Mad

for those who are about to flame me i wasnt serious

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 09:39]

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Mon, 24 January 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a way of taking out the anger i have for elderly people that live in my building and hate me and my loud car.

Late night Burn outs in the underground car park. Its quite the stress reliever. So if you live in a building with an underground car park. Keep it there and not on the streets. Laughing
And enough with the p plater posts. Smile
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The Media on P Platers Mon, 24 January 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 14:42

news needs what?

- viewers

who watches the news?

- old people

who do old people hate?

- young people

young people are all?

- tards

Eye Spin

Thats a good one. Smile
silvercil40
Regular

August 2003
Re: The Media on P Platers Mon, 24 January 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Back on topic. I agree that the media bashes p platers, but it would be expected after the EVL R34 incident and a few other high profile accidents just before christmas. People take what they want from the media, but reporters always need an enemy to make a story.
If anyone's ever paid enough attention to road toll statistics given by the media, the under 25 catagory of casualities and fatalities is compared to all other age groups, but what the media dont mention is that this includes people below the age of 17, people who are passengers.
If you ever get the chance to read the book with the yearly road toll and accident reports, do it. It'll leave you with a chill down your spine and a better understanding of how the media bullshits everbody just for a story.
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: The Media on P Platers Mon, 24 January 2005 13:57 Go to previous message
silvercil40 wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 00:51

Back on topic. I agree that the media bashes p platers, but it would be expected after the EVL R34 incident and a few other high profile accidents just before christmas. People take what they want from the media, but reporters always need an enemy to make a story.
If anyone's ever paid enough attention to road toll statistics given by the media, the under 25 catagory of casualities and fatalities is compared to all other age groups, but what the media dont mention is that this includes people below the age of 17, people who are passengers.
If you ever get the chance to read the book with the yearly road toll and accident reports, do it. It'll leave you with a chill down your spine and a better understanding of how the media bullshits everbody just for a story.

Very true, p-plater accidents are nothing compared to the 29-35yr old bracket i think it is, somthing like that n e way..
I was recently away on hoil's and needed reading material so i brought autosalon magazine and they had a big article about the whole P-plater thing with some good points. also a great article/interview with Mr.A (GIS) driver
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Purchasing from unfamiliar online traders
Next Topic:The Good ol' days of computers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 16:43:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061159133911133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.