Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lucas
Newcomer

May 2004
Modifying driver's seat rails Tue, 18 January 2005 21:06 Go to next message
Good morning all.....

Can anyone shed any light or any advice on modifying the rails for the driver's seat in my KE55 'rolla?

I'm just under 6'4" tall, and understandeably I'd like a little more leg room! Very Happy

Is there a way I can modify the rails, or fit other ones, so that my seat goes farther back?

Many thanks,
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Modifying driver's seat rails Wed, 19 January 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucas wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 08:06

Good morning all.....

Can anyone shed any light or any advice on modifying the rails for the driver's seat in my KE55 'rolla?

I'm just under 6'4" tall, and understandeably I'd like a little more leg room! Very Happy

Is there a way I can modify the rails, or fit other ones, so that my seat goes farther back?

Many thanks,

Its illegal in NSW too have "non engineered" seat rails that have been modified, so id start with that.

Find a automotive engineer.

Cheers

Steve
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Modifying driver's seat rails Fri, 21 January 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

for the seats, you can probably cut the tabs off that hold it to the rails and move them in proportion, or move the seat in proportion to the rails, can u take a few pics of what u have?

FKN16V: you better not look at my car! how does this sound:

- my own cutom brackets holding the brakes on on all 4 sides
- modified mounting points on the diff
- custom seat rails with completely new mounts

no I dont have a welding ticket and I have never been trained to do anything, its safer than original though.

the list goes on

ozaristov300
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Modifying driver's seat rails Fri, 21 January 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are after something cheap and cheerful but very effective, make up a simple bracket to raise the front of the seat tracks. My 6'4" mate had a similar problem with his TA22 Celica and used a rectangular piece of flat steel, say 50mm * 20mm * 3mm with 2 * 10mm'ish holes drilled one above the other. He used the standard seat bolt through the bottom hole of the bracket into the chassis and a nut and bolt through the top hole to attach to the seat rail. All times 2 of course. The assumption is the bolts holding the front of the rail go in horizontal towards the reas. If they go in vertical, just use a short length of 25 square tube, drilled, with longer bolts.

This tilted the seat swab down towards the rear, raising the front edge and providing much needed thigh support. I know it doesn't sound like it increases the distance from your bum to the pedals but it does. Picture your legs going from "--" to "/\", but obviously not as exaggerated.

As a test, just undo the front seat rails and pack the front of the rails up 25mm temporarily with a block of timber. (No, don't test drive it, just test sit it). You'll be very surprised.

And yes, I suspect the modification is illegal as suggested above.

Good luck.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Modifying driver's seat rails Sat, 22 January 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one word. "Engineer" see one of them. this mod would be illegal Shocked to do yourself
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Modifying driver's seat rails Sat, 22 January 2005 08:18 Go to previous message
mick wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 15:25

one word. "Engineer" see one of them. this mod would be illegal Shocked to do yourself

Its not illegal to do yourself if an engineer approves the modification and supplies you with a mod plate to suit. Trying to convince an engineer that its a safe modification might be a touch difficult Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA23
Next Topic:valves bending
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:05:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045030117034912 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.