Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
steering nuckle/arm Sat, 22 January 2005 01:54 Go to next message
hey guys from my last thread i have found that it is an MX73 strut and steering arm/nuckle.. so this leads me to my next Q Very Happy

on the steering arm where the ball joint goes and also where the tie rod goes can i get these welded and re-drilled to make the holes smaller to fitn the stock TA22 ball joint and tie rod???

if so can anyone direct me where... should i go to a metal engineering place?

once again thanks guys for all the help

cheers

[Updated on: Sat, 22 January 2005 02:30]

Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: steering nuckle/arm Sat, 22 January 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think it would be cost effective. Both the ball joint and tie rod end have tapers on them. You would have to reweld and then remachine the tapper in....I personally don't like the idea (and think that it would be quite expensive...), that said a metal engineering workshop would be the place to ask I suspect.

Why not find a shorter tie rod end that fits the existing situation (and the mx73 steering arm) assuming that the mx73 tie rod end is too long or short or something and can't be used?

And either find a lower control arm that is an OK length but has a lower ball joint that fits the mx73 arm as well, or modify you LCA (lower control arm) so that it accepts a mx73 ball joint?

Or find different steering arms that will work (ie bolt to the mx73 strut but have smaller diameters on both the tie rod and ball joint mounting points?)?

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: steering nuckle/arm Sat, 22 January 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Modifying cast-iron steering arms is a BIG no-no - definitely not street legal, and not that smart either. Find different tie-rod ends to suit your steering arm (MX73 tie-rod ends would be a good place to start), that way you're not modifying any critical steering components.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: steering nuckle/arm Sat, 22 January 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and as for the lower ball joint, I'm pretty sure an RA23 one will fit an MX73 steering arm. If it doesn't fit in your TA22 control arm you should be able to swap in an RA23 control arm.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: steering nuckle/arm Sun, 23 January 2005 09:52 Go to previous message
the TAs and RAs use the same ball joint... if the bottom half of the ball joints are the same diameter then thats sweet and ill use that and then all i have to do is figure out the tir rods situation...

also what i want to do is weld the steering arm tie rod hole and re-drill that smaller to fir the stock TA22 tie rod...

cause the TA22 has an inner and outer tie rod that screw into a shaft (so to say) then the other option i have is that i could use the MX73 tie rod and would need to fabricate a piece of metal XXXmm long and tapper one side to fit the MX73 outer tie rod and the TA22 tie rod connector/shaft
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corona XT130 engine conversion ideas
Next Topic:wierd central locking/alarm problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:06:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045650005340576 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.