Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » cant get my fuel filter off!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tomee
Regular

June 2002
cant get my fuel filter off! Thu, 20 January 2005 11:53 Go to next message
ok im trying to replace my fuel filter on a 3vz-fe v6 engine

its a 14mm nut under the filter, and i CANT GET IT OFF!!!!

ive tried using the 4 edged spanners to get more grip onto the buggar, but it just wont budge!!
im sure im going the right way when losening. (clockwise, from the top)
i suspect japanese engines dont use reverse threads?

ive soaked it in wd40 no hope!! Sad

anyone else had a problem where the nut is stuck?

Send a private message to this user    
-Talasas-
Regular

July 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Thu, 20 January 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just replaced the fuel filter on the 4AGE two days ago for the first time. I had the same problem, basically you just have to soak it in WD40 and be REALLY careful. It is on VERY tight, commonly because for one you have to tighten then up to stop fuel leaking and two because as they keep changing tempertaure from warm to ice cold (cooling effect of evaporation) and this makes them tighten.

What I found was the filter wanted to twist and bend the fuel lines while I tried so here's what you do:

1: Put wooden (or anything) braces in to hold filter in place. i.e I put a small 12 cm length of wood to hold the filter in place at the bracket and the other end sitting on my gearbox shifter arm to brace it. This stopped it wanting to twist

2: You should se a larger diameter hex section on the bottom of the filter which on mine was 15 or 17mm I can't remember. This is there so you hold the larger section in place with one spanner and undo the nut with the other smaller spanner. Also note the thread opens normally (i.e Anti-Clockwise) if you are lying under the car looking up. It should be pretty easy, you just have to crack the nut (again VERY tight) then it will undo pretty much by hand. Whatever you do just don't bend you fuel lines or get kinks in them.

Good luck.
tomee
Regular

June 2002
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Thu, 20 January 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuk me dead, ive tried almost all arvo trying to get it off!
how much wd40 did you use?

plus its pretty tight to get some leverage in there
-Talasas-
Regular

July 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not too much WD40. It just requires a lot of elbow grease Smile The main thing is once the filter is braced you don't have to worry about bending the fuel line.

The room isn't bad, on the AE92 you have to take off the front left wheel and reach up through a hole in the chassis. This makes it quite easy. If you are worried about smashing your hand into the chassis once the nut cracks what I do is wrap my hand in a cloth or use a mechanics glove that way I don't get cut or hurt too much.

if you can get one in try tapping the spanner a bit with a hammer to help get it going. Again it is a tight bastard but it will come of pretty easy once it's got going.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a couple other things you can try is

1. tighten it even more... sometimes taht breaks any locking grip it has

2. if you can heat it up... that will expand the metal and make it easier to take off

3. dont change it Very Happy OR get someone to do it for you
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 13:54

2. if you can heat it up... that will expand the metal and make it easier to take off

Shocked lets not forget you are dealing with a fuel filter here. fuel adn vapour will inevitably spill out
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get under the car with a socket and a breaker bar.
Then use lots of force, or a 2 foot extension on the breaker bar.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would freeze spray be any use in shrinking the threads of the fuel filter? just a stab in the dark Confused
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WD40
Vice grips
A GOOD socket set
Strength Razz
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any possibility of using a nut breaker? else extension bar
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 13:57

fade-e wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 13:54

Shocked lets not forget you are dealing with a fuel filter here. fuel adn vapour will inevitably spill out

yeah but so long as everything is removed and all hoses plugged up and away from the filter and filter drained the burn will be very minute and quick
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Small stilson...
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
be careful with undoing these fuel filter hoses.

easiest to get that bottom nut of is one of these toyota special tool but dont know if they still sell them, its like a pipe spanner head which allow u to put a extension and ratchet through and crack it open. always hold the filter neck with a 19mm spanner to keep it stable and not bend the lines. from top u open clickwise

check that u havent already damaged the nut
tomee
Regular

June 2002
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Fri, 21 January 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after all morning ive finally got it off
but ive hurt my pinky finger too Sad Very Happy

finger got caught inbetween the spanners when the nut let go

so now its red and nicely swollen Very Happy

BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Sat, 22 January 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomee wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 21:53

after all morning ive finally got it off
but ive hurt my pinky finger too Sad Very Happy

finger got caught inbetween the spanners when the nut let go

so now its red and nicely swollen Very Happy

Welcome to the world of working on cars.

I have so many cuts on my hands I can't even remember how I got them Sad Laughing.

Brad
silly
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: cant get my fuel filter off! Sun, 23 January 2005 06:31 Go to previous message
undo the nut anti clockwise. use a 19 and 14mm pipe spanner
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ta22 gt oil pressure ammeter gauge
Next Topic:18r-g aircon setup, will this work??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:52:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055220127105713 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.