Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Problem with coil lines (??)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Problem with coil lines (??) Sun, 23 January 2005 12:32 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Sometimes, my car sounds like it has bubbles, I thought straight up, that it could be a spark plug, but it is actually the leads (what are they called?). if I take the culpirite out (The second one from the front) the engine note does not change, but sometimes, it does work, its very on and off. How can I get a replacement? And is it hard to swap for a new one?

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, no one knows what Im talking about?? Here is a pic, its the plugs between the rockers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/EGG80X/Meet/charity%20cruise%20Jan%2005/meetshane.jpg
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You mean spark plug leads?
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are they the leads?? Looks like 2 wires in the plastic wrapper. This is where Im confused, why are they wires instead of the usual rubber things? Is it got to do with it being map or not?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you happen to have "coil on plug" coils??

if so, you will have normail wires going to each "plug", but the thing that goes between those wires and the spark plug is actually the coil and the spark plug lead incorporated into one..

where do the wires you speak of go to? if they actually go between a coil (or set of coils) elsewhere, and the rocker cover, then they would be normal spark plug leads.

if they just hook into the loom, or go to a set of ignitors (but not coils) then they are normal wires, and you have 'coil on plug'.

you maybe want to have shielded wires for that, but i think your best bet would be to get them from toyota (if they are normal replacement part.

have you actually checked the spark plugs? you could still have a dud plug (which is disconnected when you pull the lead)

Cya, Stewart
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, spark plugs are new, its an acutal plug, plugging into the...(i have no idea what they are called) but if it helps, its the 1JZGTE
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, they are COP (coil on plug).

Not quite sure how you would trouble shoot that other than throwing a CRO on the COP wires Sad
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that means it is running on 5 cylinders when it sounds like it is bubbling. Has it always done that?

It could be a dirty injector also.

If you want to check there is fuel, disconnect the spark plug and crank it over. pull the plug out and check that there is fuel all over it.

If it isn't that, then it is either spark or air. Most likely spark unless something is stuffed in the head.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's likely to be a bad connection in the plug where it connects to the coil. I'd inspect the plug carefully making sure that the contacts are perfectly clean and have enough "spring" in them to connect well with the terminals on the coil.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is where you get awful friendly with another 1JZ owner, and play swapsies with the injectors, coils, ignitor, etc.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 17:44

It's likely to be a bad connection in the plug where it connects to the coil. I'd inspect the plug carefully making sure that the contacts are perfectly clean and have enough "spring" in them to connect well with the terminals on the coil.

LOL!

It only happens sometimes, if I play around with the plug, it sometimes comes back. Its kinda strange, i sprayed some electronic cleaning spray on it, Ill see how that goes.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those plugs have 2 wires on em

one wire is black with orange trace
other is a coloured wire

the plugs have a small clip on side
these break due to heat

and the plugs get loose

they are a common problem for cauing misses
a bad plug will cause that cylinder not to fire

so either find good 2nd hand clips or source some new ones

make sure the new plugs have the lockin clip
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Mon, 24 January 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, thanks dude!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Tue, 25 January 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New plugs can be obtained from Toyota. 90980-11246 - about $10 each.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Tue, 25 January 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you guys are genius'!!

Thanks!
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Problem with coil lines (??) Tue, 25 January 2005 23:24 Go to previous message
You can make a real cheap spark tester with a crocodile clip, a jubilee clip and an old healthy plug. Just attatch the plug to the croc clip by means of the jubilee clip. Attach this to any handy earth and the suspect lead/ coil pack. Then really hope that theres good spark at the plug because you dont want to pay for a new coil pack.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:w57 speedo sensor
Next Topic:4AGZE translated wiring diagram or manual
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 18:55:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050618648529053 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.