Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sprinter_86
Regular

July 2003
New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 00:39 Go to next message
hey guys im in the stage of my 7mgte (ma61) conversion where im starting to think about gettin a boost controller just want to know wat sort yous have, are u happy with it, was it good for the price and just simply wat yous think are good ones. thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
seven_mgte
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are looking for cheap and fairly effective then a Manual Boost controller would probably be best. Best $30 I have ever spent. However they are not perfect, IE. they are prone to spiking, and they are a pain in the ass to adjust. However, if you have the cash to spend then get an electronic one. And I can't give you any advice on which, because I have never worried about it myself.
sprinter_86
Regular

July 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i would most probly be looking at an electric one. thanks
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i gots myself one of those GFB Atomic ones. Doesn't spike as much as I can see. But boost does creep down as the revs get higher. Can't remember how much it cost me though.

Yian
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hyper boost, email celicamad Very Happy
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just got a dual stage turbosmart mbc and it cant' hold the boost in the high revs. it drops off a few psi.. Sad dunno if its how i set it up or its my car, but i'm not that impressed with it..
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my turbosmart boost T is leaking, it is much laggier than when I run no boost controller.

Go the hiperboost

http://www.hiperboost.com/
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you guys who are finding boost drop off, it might not be because of the controller, but you are running too high of a boost the turbos can provide? Idea?
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im using a turbosmart single stage boost controller and have had no problems with, it holds boost to my determined setting with out dropping off. I got no complaints Very Happy But I have heard that celicamad boost controllers are sik.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a proper ELECTRONIC boost controller that works, its FULLY programmable and variable throughout your entire RPM range, does everything else that the aforementioned boost controller does whilst being 100% variable and programmable....... then you want a Witzl Boost.

http://www.witzl.com/boost

Im Using one right now on PMP-80Y, and i have excellent control over my boost level and more importantly - i have complete control over the way boost is initially built. You can make your turbos spin up as FAST AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE and still have and very smooth boost curve with little to no boost spiking.

Of more interest is to those who have problems with your boost dropping off. Since this boost controller is completely programmable, you can flatten out your boost curve by directly controlling what boost pressure your wastegate actuator sees at any of 64 different load points.

..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a norgen valve from a agricultural store, i know of several people using them on 10 sec 500plus horse power cars and they never have problems. and they only cost $65
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Sun, 23 January 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Witzl great to hear you are building these up!! As soon as funds permit i'll be grabbing one from you.

Cheers
Joel
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries Joel. Of course discounts apply for card holding Toymods financial members Very Happy
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiperboost Controllers are a proven bit of gear around here.

"Proven" meaning they have been tested back to back against many leading brands,shown to actually increase performance in nearly all applications including when compared to mega dollar jap controllers(HKS EVC 3 + 4, Blitz SBC) as well as the local bleed type units.

Hiperboost is NOT merely a simple bleed valve nor a combination of them.

see the Web site for further details.

http://www.hiperboost.com

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 04:35]

Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

My electronic boost controller was only about $40 and is brilliant. Of course, I had to fork-out over a grand for the Haltech E6X to run it. Rolling Eyes

But seriously, if you have any future plans for aftermarket management - get this first. Then getting an integrated boost controller is cheap & easy!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree - aftermarket engine management systems which have boost controler outputs are the best way to go if you are heading for aftermarket computers.

Witzl Boost controls the same solenoids as your haltech does, in the same manner, with the same end result. Heck if you already have the solenoid, the price then drops to only $250!

I will admit though, that being a relatively cheap stand alone boost controller it doesnt function in a closed loop manner, meaning that it doesnt know what boost you are making and thus cannot compensate for changes in atmospheric pressure nor temperatures etc. A good (read: typically above $800) E.B.C. can do these functions, but i dont have $800 for just a boost controller... thats almost Microtech money!!

Happy boosting everyone, no matter what path you choose Smile

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can setup the Autronic to contol boost.. But I really want something switchable and Autronic would need to plug the laptop in and change the maps.. Not just a flick of the switch so to speak.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Haltech also has an optional ($20) rocket switch for switching between two pre-set boost maps. Smile

But if I didn't have programmable management, I'd be getting very excited about Witzl's unit.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Autronic will control boost really well using the right solenoid.

The Autronic SMC is limited to having two boost settings, with the solenoid off it will drop to actuator pressure whilst with the solenoid turned on it will be as per the defined boost level in the program.

The Autronic SM2 on the other hand is allot more flexable and has the ability to run 3 different boost tables and and even different boost levels in diffferent gears. (They also do traction control and Anti lag !! Wink )

Special Ed,

I notice you have only compared the Hyperboost to the entry level electronic boost controllers. Perhaps you should evaluate it against the better end of the market (Ie the ones that are dyno proven to work and be nice and stable). The Blitz SBC "Spec R" and Up use an awesomely stable boost solenoid as does the Apexi AVCR Blue screen.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooooo that sounds good! So I can run my factory wastegate pressure of 10psi or so.. Then run a higher boost setting.. With the SMC how is it switchable though? Just by cutting power to the solenoid?
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiperboost was tested against those units back in the day when they were the bees knees ( so to speak ). It seemed fair to compare them when they cost about the same (second hand) as the the hiperboost unit. I have no doubt that the very latest and $$$ electronic units may outperform the Hiperboost (probably marginal in actual boost control and adjustment), however they are not seriously comparable in terms of cost being mostly double the cost of the Hiperboost.

There are many stats and comparisons at http://www.Hiperboost.com if people would like to see the data that is available.

Any other Hiperboost (or celicamad) owners care to add their experience ?

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon6.gif  Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 18:21

Hiperboost was tested against those units back in the day when they were the bees knees ( so to speak ). It seemed fair to compare them when they cost about the same (second hand) as the the hiperboost unit. I have no doubt that the very latest and $$$ electronic units may outperform the Hiperboost (probably marginal in actual boost control and adjustment), however they are not seriously comparable in terms of cost being mostly double the cost of the Hiperboost.

There are many stats and comparisons at http://www.Hiperboost.com if people would like to see the data that is available.

Any other Hiperboost (or celicamad) owners care to add their experience ?

Matt,

I'm sure the price comparisson was was fair enough and still is. Hey you get what you pay for.

As for the Hyperboost experiences lets not make this another thread trying to push a product for those two cheap to advertise it ! All further comments will be deleted unless deemed directly relevant and beneficial

I think what is up here already is more than enough.

Karl,

Same goes for you dude. This isn't an info-mercial its a technical question so enough of the shameless plugs. As above, All further comments will be deleted unless deemed directly relevant and beneficial.

Joel,

Yeah mate all you need to do is have a switch to cut power to the boost control valve Smile Then bingo you have a high and low switchable controller that is electronic, ECU controlled and very stable. Ok so it isn't adjustable but at around $150 it is a very viable option. If nothing else it gives you the "W" mode (Wet weather or Wife mode Wink )

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 07:49] by Moderator

sprinter_86
Regular

July 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks heaps guys still got a fair bit of time to decide but ill be checkin out all options.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

As for the Hyperboost experiences lets not make this another thread trying to push a product for those two cheap to advertise it ! All further comments will be deleted unless deemed directly relevant and beneficial

Rod correct me if im wrong but i did actually enquire about advertising for both hiperboost and the Toyota Nationals

After an initial enquiry .we where given a quote but further emails still remain unanswered .It became obvious that our advertising was unwelcome .
if you are now saying that you welcome our advertising we are quite happy to advertise on toymods . we already advertise on several forums and soon in a major magazine with a full tech article to boot

THE WITZL
We at hiperboost have done extensive testing of these jaycar kits .As we do all our and our competitors products .

i have to say they are a very good kit . and will work as you have stated they will bring boost on faster and will hold boost above a given rpm (where required)

supplying these in assembled form is a good idea many people would simply buy the kit and never build it or muck it up etc

i have a question though have you been able to overcome the issue with the boost spike in autos .this is actually outlined in the instructions .when testing on a 1jz auto boost spiked almost 3 psi on gear change

but as most people have manual anyway this is not as much of an issue

The only issue is in the event of of a reset or product failure . or even a bad install . the solenoid valve is normally closed at 0% duty cycle . so NO boost can get to the wastegate actuator . This could cause boost to rise uncontrollably to the point of boost cut or engine explosion(whichever comes first)

we are currently finishing our own version of this unit that will ultilise a normally open valve .we will also have 4 available maps 2 pre programmed likley maps eg 1jz and two available maps

the solenoid valves are also being custom made so that no bleed system needs to be added and we are incorporating some of the original hiperboost valve systems to be able to bring boost on even faster .
So in effect actaully combining the origianal hiperboost system and the jaycar unit in 1 .

it will also be available with an adaptor to make it work in the same manor on external wastgates

i am happy to exchange ideas and even supply valves and the reprogrammed chip(when complete) .good luck !!!!
ps email me sales@hiperboost.comim happy to refer any electronic enquiries i get to you .until our unit is finalised

anyone considering the the witzl boost rest assured it works very . just read CAREFULLY anyone with reasonable knowledge on turbos will fit one quite easily

in regard to systems like autronic,or the haltech valve etc.

they LACK one VERY important function they operate as a bleed which means they will control boost (very well) but they DO NOT block the passage of air to the wastgate .THEREFORE bringing boost on much harder MUCH faster .
if you have a haltech or autronic just buy the assembled (jaycar unit) and use your existing valve .the boost will come on MUCH faster

So far of ALL the units we have tested (about 20) . the only units that do this are

1. turbo smart e boost
2. hiperboost
3. jaycar boost controller(witzl boost)

if electronic is your bling thing then e boost is awesome
but for the money the jaycar kit works JUST AS WELL

in regard to norgren valves
these work quite well on external wastegate setups but often melt .they RARELY work on internal wastegate setups
but using ANY boost controller that blocks air to the wastegate
WILL bring boost on faster

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 10:50]

7MSupra
Regular

April 2004
    ?
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont forget about Boost cut on the 7M-GTE!!! Cool
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using an apexi avcr, I am VERY happy with the way this works. The only draw back being it can be a little complicated to get to work in the begging and $$, but once you come to terms with its functionality and price it will give you awsome results.

Initial boost build up can be controlled very accurately and desired boost held at a very stable pressure.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt you have been asked not to advertise in your signature. I still have the PM.

I'd ask you to tidy up your sig so it doesn't waste so much space.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Mon, 24 January 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 21:42

Rod correct me if im wrong but i did actually enquire about advertising for both hiperboost and the Toyota Nationals

After an initial enquiry .we where given a quote but further emails still remain unanswered .It became obvious that our advertising was unwelcome .

Yes you did enquire about advertiseing on the Toymods forum. After discussion by email you sent through an enquiry for a contact phone number so you could negotiate it. I gave you my mobile number but have never recieved a call and not recieved any emails from you since that point.

But that's neither here nor there, lets get back to the topic at hand, prefferably an unbiased answer to the original question of what kind of boost controller for the original poster to use on his 7M.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 23:17]

sprinter_86
Regular

July 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Tue, 25 January 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone have any views on the electronic blitz ones.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Tue, 25 January 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know that their uber doober one is AWESOME, but i dont know what model that is.

Rod knows.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Thu, 27 January 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 17:23

Ooooo that sounds good! So I can run my factory wastegate pressure of 10psi or so.. Then run a higher boost setting.. With the SMC how is it switchable though? Just by cutting power to the solenoid?

Joel, you could actually set it up to run through a solenoid with your autronic running one setting and any other type of boost controller for the other.

OR you could make up a simple electronic circuit to run as many settings as you want. I have seen this type of thing hooked up to an automatic transmission so that a different setting was used on each gear depending on how much wheel spin they were getting. Ie say 9psi in 1st gear, 14 in second and 20 in third.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Thu, 27 January 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ball valve and needle valve $10

like this:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/supra80/DSC00363.JPG

Works like this:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma45/10buckbleeder. MOV
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Thu, 27 January 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10 buck bleeder gives $10 worth of boost control. Great value. Completely useless.

..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Thu, 27 January 2005 23:35

10 buck bleeder gives $10 worth of boost control. Great value. Completely useless.

so on that theory the boost controller you sell would give $380 worth of boost control and eboost would give rrp $780 worth of boost control?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No offence to you special ed, but you walked straight into that one
Quote:

so on that theory the boost controller you sell would give $380 worth of boost control and eboost would give rrp $780 worth of boost control?
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not at all,

e-boost is a great unit. and actualy it gives more like $381 worth of boost control. $50 worth of additional programmable outputs. and about $350 worth of bling value ( which is Uber important to some).

I hope you guys are getting your eboost fitted for that kind of cash !!

Hiperboost is a mere semi assembled kit for that price, and doesnt include fitment. However if you are nice ( and local) we can most often fit it for you.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2005 00:36]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$1.50 boost control
http://users.bigpond.net.au/monkeymajik/car/boostcontrol.jpg

or in this case free as the washer T peice was from my car Smile and there was a spare in the tool box.

Of course this will not build boost quite as fast as a hiperboost, witzl boost or a topend ebc. But hey it was free Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 11:38

$1.50 boost control

or in this case free as the washer T peice was from my car Smile and there was a spare in the tool box.

Of course this will not build boost quite as fast as a hiperboost, witzl boost or a topend ebc. But hey it was free Smile

hook that back up to your washer bottle, add coffee and u have your own cuppachino machine Laughing
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you bleeding off all the air?

what boost does it run?
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 11:35

Not at all,

e-boost is a great unit. and actualy it gives more like $381 worth of boost control. $50 worth of additional programmable outputs. and about $350 worth of bling value ( which is Uber important to some).

I hope you guys are getting your eboost fitted for that kind of cash !!

Hiperboost is a mere semi assembled kit for that price, and doesnt include fitment. However if you are nice ( and local) we can most often fit it for you.

i was emailing a guy on the cenral coast the other day, his cost $650 fitting and tuned. only people silly enough to purchase of fullboost or autospeed would pay that $780.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 10:51

hook that back up to your washer bottle, add coffee and u have your own cuppachino machine Laughing

Laughing
I've always said you were an ideas man rob_RA40

Chris Davey wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 11:00

are you bleeding off all the air?

what boost does it run?

It doesn't bleed off all the air, it works just like a standard bleed valve. You want more boost? add more washer T's or perform a washer T UPGRADE(tm) to a larger model.

The combination of a standard sprinter washer T and a slightly larger washer T that was lying around produced 1.1bar.

Please note: performing this mod may cause your windscreen washer to spontaneously stop working.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul,

We sent you the pricing structure and you are welcome to become a paying forum sponsor. Josh looks after this area of things so just drop him an email if you want to revist the option.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New Boost Controller Fri, 28 January 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 11:51

monkeymajik wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 11:38

$1.50 boost control

But man the hiperboost allso does espresso!!

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma70supra/hiperespresso.JPG
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: New Boost Controller Sat, 29 January 2005 06:20 Go to previous message
ALLAN

thats some funny shit
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Surge tank. What low pressure pump to use?
Next Topic:ST185 Coilovers?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 23:04:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099987983703613 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.