Toymods » General Car Talk » SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gigante
Regular

January 2005
SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Wed, 19 January 2005 22:29 Go to next message
hey all, im anthony just signed up..

just need your advice..
ive been reading alot about both these cars and there both very different in almost every way.
would you be able to tell me the good and bad things of these cars and which one would be better street racer and street cruise..
im saving up for either one just gathering info for which one would be the better buy for the money..

cheers

Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Wed, 19 January 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you need 4 seats?
kyler
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 20 January 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^

The one and only downfall (or plus) of the MR2.

The one and only reason I drive a Nissan instead of a Toyota Smile
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 20 January 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recommend the jza70 .. such a nice car to drive and looks the goods , but hey , ive got a battleboat myself so im a bit biast Laughing
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 20 January 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it would be a down fall with only two seats in the mr2 but then again most of my friend would have cars already...
im heading down the road more towards the jza70...
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 20 January 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wont regret going down that road .. jza70's are sweet and dont forget to add it to members rides , ill chuck mine up soon , didnt get it that long ago! Razz
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 20 January 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i prob wont get the jza70 for a while because im only 16 and still saving up.. Cool
but give me a yr or 2 and ill have one in the driveway beggin to be abused Mad
im saving every penny to get it asap!!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 20 January 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its threads like this that make me wish i had my JZA61 Sad soon tho!!

I would take the JZA70 over the SW20 simply cause they looks nicer. the fact that a JZA70 would be quicker is another good factor!
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 20 January 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been reading and both cars factory stock the sw20 mr2 turbo on paper does 14.3 while the jza70 2.5 tt does 14.8...
but then again bolt on upgrades done to both would leed the jza70 on top. Cool
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i spose with a bigger engine smaller mods would make a more noticable differnce rather than the same mods on a smaller engine
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all Bias people...
go the mr2 nothing beats it.

Seriouly though i think its all for what you want the car for i think the 2 have much better looks very sleak and classy. can be modifed to extreams... and traction is fantastic in them with large power. so quater mile times great track driving can be great, but drifting a big no no

supra power easier but keep in mind the weight factor so in realty they come about even in power. 4 seats great track car with suspension mods and very driftable.

but i am bias also i love the 2's always have always wil.

good luck
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the input man!!
is the 3s-gte easy to work on and take care of?
ive only started reading about them so im not that much informed..
do u have a pic of ur engine bay?
when u start makin high hp out of the mr2 cooling is a problem..
how can u over cum that.. ive seen rear mounted intercoolers in the boot, but thats gettin extreme..

cheers
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
High hp doesnt mean heat problems in the mr2. The most common option is a water to air intercooler mounted somewhere in the engine bay, with a front mounted radiator to cool the water for the cooler. The rear engine bay gets huge airflow due to the underbody design of the car.
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an mr2 also, so bias again (3s-ge though) and yeah, I love them both, but mr2 wins Smile However, if the supra came with that girl in your avatar...... Smile
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that sure answered my question with the cooling problem..
btw your mk1 is quite a clean look!! very nice!! (your avatar)
shes got a stunning ass dosent she Muzzi!! lolz just like a freshly grown peach Laughing
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that was after a nice wash, my car is so dirty atm, hasnt had a wash for about 3 weeks. It doesnt have the enkei 17s on it anymore, i got some 15" 5kg wheels on it now + its been lowered since then so looks nice Smile. I vote gen3 mr2... you can get huge power out of them.
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 17z look madd on the mk1 but i guess lighter is better!!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 21 January 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hear MR2s are hard to work on, due to having such a godamned small engine bay.

Both are great cars. If you want something light and nimble, get a SW20. You wants something very quick, cruisy, and big, get a JZA70.
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sat, 22 January 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen in japan some 600ps plus mr2z so them having a small engine bay might not be such an issue..
i guess alot of the power comes from internal rebiuld..
but ive also seen mr2s get 400ps plus with just bolt-on upgrades..
the engine bay is small but there is space for bigger turbo and cooler upgrades etc...

[Updated on: Sat, 22 January 2005 06:42]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sat, 22 January 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y not compare an SW20 to a JZA61 Very Happy
then there is not such a weight issue Laughing

[Updated on: Sat, 22 January 2005 07:24]

gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sat, 22 January 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i put this thread up because these are the 2 im considering buying when i have saved enough...

the jza61 is a nice ride but, one of my favourites!! Smile
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gigante wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 18:41

Confused i am not with u ? are u saying the JZA61 is one of your favourite rides ? or wat ?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR. 2 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 11:41

all Bias people...
go the mr2 nothing beats it.

Seriouly though i think its all for what you want the car for i think the 2 have much better looks very sleak and classy. can be modifed to extreams... and traction is fantastic in them with large power. so quater mile times great track driving can be great, but drifting a big no no

supra power easier but keep in mind the weight factor so in realty they come about even in power. 4 seats great track car with suspension mods and very driftable.

but i am bias also i love the 2's always have always wil.

good luck

What do you mean driftin in an mr2 is a no no just keep ya foot burried and counter steer like crazy Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 23 January 2005 08:02]

kayot1k
Regular

July 2003

Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy

[Updated on: Sun, 23 January 2005 08:12]

gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 07:53

gigante wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 18:41

Confused i am not with u ? are u saying the JZA61 is one of your favourite rides ? or wat ?

sorry TRD_supra... i shouldnt have the "but" in there..
yeah their one of my favourites Smile
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i get u now!!! i love them... i can't wait to have my MA61 to its true form! and fuck i love yer avatar gigante, i can't stop looking at it. where did u get it from ? i should get some for my GF! but she wears holden underwear cause she knows i dislike them!... bitch!
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolz tell me about it thats one fine ass!!!
just searching google and came across it, just lucky i guess...
if i had a gf and she wore holden underwear i would go to her..
"umm babe i dont think this relationship is gonna work.." hehehe
the only thing u can do is just take them off Very Happy
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 12:43

i can't wait to have my MA61 to its true form!

is yours in the work shop or..?
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gigante wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 23:19

lolz tell me about it thats one fine ass!!!
just searching google and came across it, just lucky i guess...
if i had a gf and she wore holden underwear i would go to her..
"umm babe i dont think this relationship is gonna work.." hehehe
the only thing u can do is just take them off Very Happy

she takes it off eventually.. but when we goto car shows and stuff.. she always makes fun of the cars i like and more so the toyota's i like.. she thinks i am too obsessed with cars.. I tell her its a healthy addiction! i spose its better to spend money on cars than drugs! mind u its also better to spend money on drugs than holdens!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gigante wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 23:22

TRD_Supra wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 12:43

i can't wait to have my MA61 to its true form!

is yours in the work shop or..?

Na not yet... i am still dragging the 5ME around with the MA61!! but hopefully end of this year in uni holidays i will have my much needed $10k and i will start on the JZA61 ! wat sort of car do u have btw gig ?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gigante wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 17:37

ive seen in japan some 600ps plus mr2z so them having a small engine bay might not be such an issue..
i guess alot of the power comes from internal rebiuld..
but ive also seen mr2s get 400ps plus with just bolt-on upgrades..
the engine bay is small but there is space for bigger turbo and cooler upgrades etc...

I'm not talking about it being imposible to make good power 'cuz the engine bay is to small. I'm saying, it's very hard to work on the engine as the engine bay is so small. It'll take you twice as long to do anything on the MR2 as the JZA80 (at a guess). Plus I would imagine bolt on parts for the MR2 would be more expensive as they have to be made compact.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OH!!

Is the MR2 only a 2 Seater??? im talking the SW20 Confused

gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]! wat sort of car do u have btw gig ?[/quote]

i got nothing atm because im only 16 and still saving up for one..
im hoping at the end of the year or sometime next year with alot of hard work i should have enough or come close to buying either jza70 or gen3 mr2..

*writes letter to manager, "needes more shifts plzz"*
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Sun, 23 January 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]I'm not talking about it being imposible to make good power 'cuz the engine bay is to small. I'm saying, it's very hard to work on the engine as the engine bay is so small. It'll take you twice as long to do anything on the MR2 as the JZA80 (at a guess). Plus I would imagine bolt on parts for the MR2 would be more expensive as they have to be made compact.[/quote]

very good points there!!! true also..
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, don't let that put you off if you have the extra time and money to work it (or you just wanna leave it fairly stock, as they're pretty mean stock anyway).

And alliance_22, all MR2s are two seater. With the mid mount engine, it's hard/impossible to fit back seats in. The only mid mount I know of with back seats is the McLauren F1.
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill see how things goes when the times comes...
but i rekon spending the extra money would pay off Smile
its still a fight between the 2...
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, a JZA80 will be more cruisy. I hear the 2JZ-GTE can make 500hp all day long without breaking a sweat with a ton more torque than the little 3S-GTE.

Besides, are you actualy gonna get these cars up to that much power? I doubt it somehow. It's too expensive in Australia (I hate this country sometimes). And I don't think it's gonna be street legal with all that power.
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the very most i would wont would be around 500hp (as the final result)..
i have a family friend who works on performance cars and with a bit of money (10grand and on..) he can make some serious power out of both..
at his work they biult a 7m-gte powereed mk3 up to 450 - 500hp with a 8 grand budget for a customer..

i would probably start spending money and making power when im off my Pz and saved plenty of money...
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remember with that much power, you'r gonna need a day drive too.

450hp out of a 7M on an 8K budget? I doubt that engine/turbo/gearbox is gonna last very long. 8K doesn't seem nearly enough to get that kinda power safely out of that engine. How longs it been running? I'd give it 6 months before it needs a rebuild/new block, new turbo, or new gearbox.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I vote gen3 mr2... you can get huge power out of them.

that i cant agree with... bolt on mods yup gen 3 there is more availbe power they are dead = if we are talking about big power like 400hp + @ wheels.

gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 02:06

Remember with that much power, you'r gonna need a day drive too.

450hp out of a 7M on an 8K budget? I doubt that engine/turbo/gearbox is gonna last very long. 8K doesn't seem nearly enough to get that kinda power safely out of that engine. How longs it been running? I'd give it 6 months before it needs a rebuild/new block, new turbo, or new gearbox.

im pritty sure it was done round the start of 04 and im pritty sure everything is still running fine..
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still recomment a JZA61.. it would beat both!
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a pretty quick JZA61 now, but a JZA70 would look way more cruisy, and it'll be easier to do than a JZA61 given you don't need to worry about doing the swap and getting it engineered.
I'd suggest getting a JZA70 though, only cause I loved my MA70 Wink
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would recommend buying a yacht if u wish to go for the cruisy approach
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Mon, 24 January 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i probably wouldnt have enough time to do an engine swap so thats why i got my eye on the jza70..
see how things go...
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Tue, 25 January 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try looking for a JZA61 then.. Do u prefer the MA61 shape or the MA70 shape ?
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Tue, 25 January 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like both shapes alot but i got the soft spot for the ma70..
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Tue, 25 January 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance_22 wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 10:20

OH!!

Is the MR2 only a 2 Seater??? im talking the SW20 Confused

[M]iddle engine + [R]ear Wheel Drive + [2]seater = [M][R][2]
Very Happy
Laughing
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Tue, 25 January 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think someone sent that earlier lolz..
its ll good..
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Tue, 25 January 2005 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gigante wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 17:41

i like both shapes alot but i got the soft spot for the ma70..

U like the heavy, boaty, star ship enterprise shape did u say ? Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 25 January 2005 19:02]

gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Wed, 26 January 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha!! ummmmmm Rolling Eyes
if i could find a front spoiler or front lip for the mk2 it would change my mind alot...
i dont really like the stock front, it looks to high...
ive seen front spoilers for the mk2 ill try and get some pics...

thats just me but...

[Updated on: Wed, 26 January 2005 06:24]

gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Wed, 26 January 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok a found a pic!!
its not at the best angle but u should be able to get the idea...

http://web.telia.com/~u91302010/bilder/mk2/russsmokin.jpg
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Wed, 26 January 2005 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20, or, if you want more performanced based... go an aw11 with a few more mods for the same price, older, but, if done right, faster!

supras are great, but MR2's are my dream, along with the MISFIT Celica (DROOL!)
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 27 January 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the aw11z rnt my favourite car...
ive red good thing about them but the sw20 has more to offer...
i guess thats because its a newer model but they do also cost alot more...
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 27 January 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bloody Americans! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2005 04:51]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 27 January 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gigante wrote on Thu, 27 January 2005 00:01

ok a found a pic!!
its not at the best angle but u should be able to get the idea...

http://web.telia.com/~u91302010/bilder/mk2/russsmokin.jpg

This was the bloody american's quote!!!
My bad!
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 27 January 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it was built in america, i think it pulled like a 10sec 1/4 mile or some shit...
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Thu, 27 January 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its an american supra... not only can u see its LHD, but see the small lip spoiler right at the back of the hatch panel.... American Only!
and 10 secs.... pfffftttt my MA61 with a 5ME could do that Rolling Eyes maybe 6 or 7 seconds slower tho!
gigante
Regular

January 2005
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 28 January 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOLzz anythings possible!!
TRD_supra... LHD..?!?
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: SW20 MR2 turbo VS JZA70 supra 2.5 TT Fri, 28 January 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
You want a 206kw car for your first car!?!? I hope you can drive ok! Get the Supra!
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Absolutly STUPID ta22 on ebay...Ehhk?
Next Topic:Electronic throttles - discuss:
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:36:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012347936630249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.