Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help me 4AGE conking out!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Sun, 23 January 2005 15:53 Go to next message
Hey i need your help and your opinions. Ok to keep it simple, I just finished respraying my 86 (took almost a month due to probs) and got it all together yesterday so thought i might take it out for a drive. after about 10 minutes of driving i took a turn following my friend and next second i apply the trottle and the car starts conkin out!. so I got it towed home the next day, i had a similar problem which involed fuel. cause i can start it and it'll barely idle and if i apply the throttle instantly it dies!. so far i've replaced the fuel filter and i've checked to see if the pump was doing its job and it was. the filter is new of course so that cant be the prob and i checked. next what i believe is the problem is my injectors. I'm thinkin that they are dirty and need serivcing , replacing or cleaned? cause this same problem has happen ages ago and i waited a day and it started up again . at that time it was low tank but now i have over half a tank and its still conkin out at start up. Sorry if this doesnt make sense as i suck in english and very tired. Please need help THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Send a private message to this user    
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Sun, 23 January 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ECU maybe? if u need one, i can hook u up..............
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Sun, 23 January 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah Definately wouldnt be ECU but thanks anyway
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Sun, 23 January 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you checked the AFM plug?, just to see what would happened i tryed unpluging it, it done pretty much what u descibed, maybe running on 2-3 cylinders?
just a thought
hope ya find the problem.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually don't have a AFM instead i got a MAP sensor. i've checked that too and thats fine. I'm thinking its something dirty eg the injectors as i have had this problem ages ago and waiting a day it was back to normal, but now it can barely start at all
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check ur dizzy and timing.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmmmm nah timing and dizzy are perfect as far as i know. I got it serviced about 2 months ago and they said its perfect.
skit
Regular

November 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that first 10 min of driving you did was it since you got the car back from the shop and painted it, maybe check that the dizzy bolts haven't loosened, as the cap may have spun if whoever set your timing at the shop didnt tighten them properly.

Its a stupid thing but i'm sure its happened to at least 1 person. You'll just have to eliminate things 1 by 1. Start with easy things like this, its 5 min job to check ignition timing yourself.

Good luck.
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah it's fine. Plus before the service my 4AGE conked out the same it does now, the last time it hapen i thought and was told it was a low tank which is causing the problem. this time i have over half a tank so which gives me the idea its something to do with fuel. my pump and filter(new) are fine and whats left is my injectors, could they be dirty????. Plus its not timing/ignition as if i start up the car the first few seconds it will idle almost fine then conk out which in my case is a lack of fuel delivery or whatever
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take your injectors out one by one, put each in a glass bottle, crank the motor over for a while and see if they all spray fuel out? If some or any are blocked or stuck open take them to get serviced.

edit: left some out.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 January 2005 05:45]

Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i was thinking of taking out the injectors and checking them. Just wondering is it easy to take them out???. Do i have to remove the fuel rail and all the little hoses to get to the injectors? THANKS JoHnNy_K
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what was the last fuel you put in the tank? you said its been a few months since you started it, ill bet 10:1 that if your last fill was Optimax that the fuel has gone bad, drain tank and try some fresh fuel, and never use Opticraps again
INFMUS16V
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your throttle position sensor u may have to check it with multmeter and adjust it with a fieler gauge. u can get the spec from engine manual
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 19:03

what was the last fuel you put in the tank? you said its been a few months since you started it, ill bet 10:1 that if your last fill was Optimax that the fuel has gone bad, drain tank and try some fresh fuel, and never use Opticraps again

You'll most likely find a crap load of crap in the tank as well blocking up the pickup as well
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: Help me 4AGE conking out!!! Mon, 24 January 2005 14:11 Go to previous message
Ummmmmm i have an update. The car is longer conkin out and how my friend magically fixed it was the kinda same way i did before, all he did was turn the ignition on (pump fuel) for like half an minute then start her up, it struggled then gradually it was back in action. Now we have come ot the assumption my pump is in need of replacement. First i'm goin to get it pressure check and see if its in need of replacing of not. Plus just wondering is it normal to hear a pump making a sucking noise at some points as if its sucking no fuel??? or is it cause i have a carby tank. Well what i'm asking is if you guys could give me any clues to see weather my pump is stuffed or not THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MX83 Suspension.
Next Topic:Engine/Exhaust Options for my KE35
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:43:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055959224700928 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.