Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » longer control arm options???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sixteenv
Occasional Poster

March 2003
longer control arm options??? Wed, 29 December 2004 00:39 Go to next message
Can anyone recommend some options for longer lower control arms to use in my ke55?
In searching the site, sigma arms keep coming up - can someone provide some more details on this please?
I want to know what model to use, if any changes have to be made, what ball joints to use etc.
Thankyou kindly.
  Send a private message to this user    
sixteenv
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: longer control arm options??? Wed, 29 December 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone must know??
sixteenv
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: longer control arm options??? Mon, 03 January 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump.
I still need to know
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: longer control arm options??? Mon, 03 January 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA40 arms are the longest arms toyota makes untill u get psyco with cressida arms or similar

Here is some sizes in comparison to AE86 arms (approx)

RA40 +10mm
Cressida +60mm
Old sigma one piece arms +30mm
Sigma 2 piece arms +60mm

For longer arms you might need longer steering tubes. I use RA40 tubes with ke55 ball joints.

+10mm equates to 1-2 deg neg camber (at a guess)

for RA60 struts use +30mm arms for 3deg neg camber or else u will have positive camber

Sigma arms are a little fat in the rubber bush which will need a little shaving with angle grinder to fit crossmember. Also one of the caster rod holes might need a file.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: longer control arm options??? Tue, 04 January 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will have to double check but I think you will find RA40 arms are the same length as KE55 arms. I have a set of each in the shed so when I get a chance i will get out the tape measure.

Brad
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: longer control arm options??? Tue, 04 January 2005 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using old Sigma arms, they are about 30mm longer than KE55 ones. I didn't think the 2-piece Sigma arms were any longer than the 1 piece ones, but I could be wrong. With the 1-piece arms you need to shave the bushes a little, and get a crush tube made to make the holes the correct size. Apart from that, it's a bolt on.

For ball joints just use the original Sigma ones, the taper is the same.
sixteenv
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: longer control arm options??? Sat, 22 January 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, you guys are legends.
Can you explain a little more about what modifications must be done to the sigma arms (crush tube??), assuming that these are my best option??
Cheers
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: longer control arm options??? Sun, 23 January 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can help you with this, as I have just done mine on my ae86.

The things you need to replace are you lower control arms and the tie rods.

The lower control arms can be found on a Sigma GH model (old old model) with the one peice arm, press in ball joint.

The tie rods can be found in RA40 celica's, but i found that they were an absolute bastard to remove, so i went around the wreckers and mixed matched rods (ones that were removable) and found that alot of toyota's use the same tube. I got mine eventually off an old corona (can't remember model) and an RA40.

With these parts alone, you can basically bolt everything up to your KE55, but i got picky and bought brand new ball joints/bushes/crush tubes/tie rod ends/steering boots.

It was all bolt in for me, didn't even have to re-drill the castor holes (a couple of jacks come in handy here). The bushes for the crossmember you can just belt sand about 2mm off each side, and the crush tubes must be the same width as the crossmember attachment (takes 20 sec to cut with hacksaw)

with alot of grease and alignment, you'll notice an improved handling, and turn in.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: longer control arm options??? Sun, 23 January 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all, thought i'd ask this question here as its in relation to control arm lengths...

I am actually after something shorter. The AE86 ones are 300mm I think. I need something around 280mm. Anyone know if there is a Toyota with shorter control arms than the AE86? The RA28 is also 300mm so thats no good. Not sure about the TA22?

Cheers
Joel
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: longer control arm options??? Sun, 23 January 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 15:53

Hi all, thought i'd ask this question here as its in relation to control arm lengths...

I am actually after something shorter. The AE86 ones are 300mm I think. I need something around 280mm. Anyone know if there is a Toyota with shorter control arms than the AE86? The RA28 is also 300mm so thats no good. Not sure about the TA22?

Cheers
Joel

hey joel have you considered if there are any regulations in getting the stock control arm shaortened? you know ryans TA22 in america? yeah well he got his extended an inch so why cant you shorten yours?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: longer control arm options??? Sun, 23 January 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah could easily be cut and re-welded to make them shorter.

Just thought there might be a bolt in option.

It's not actually for me either, so i'm not sure about engineering requirements but they can find out that info Smile not my problem haha.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: longer control arm options??? Mon, 24 January 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver: Why did you have to get new tie rods? Mine bolted straight in.

AFAIK cutting/welding control arms is not legal, hence getting a "bolt in" alternative Smile
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: longer control arm options??? Mon, 24 January 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 19:49

ae86slaver: Why did you have to get new tie rods? Mine bolted straight in.

I guess the AE86 tie rods are a lil different to other models with only one side of the tube being adjustable. Now the new ones look awesome with both sides being adjustable with new parts here and there Cool
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: longer control arm options??? Mon, 24 January 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, righty-o. My KE35 ones are adjustable on both sides.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: longer control arm options??? Mon, 24 January 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the point of longer control arms just to get a bit more camber and therefeore better handling???
ozaristov300
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: longer control arm options??? Tue, 25 January 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Longer arms were a great trick on TA22 Celicas. As well as gaining neg camber, you also reduced Ackerman angles (induced tyre scrub on turn for safety reasons) which improves cornering speeds. Can be a spooky on the road until you get used to it...
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: longer control arm options??? Tue, 25 January 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, my car turns a bit funny now, the steering is non-linear which makes driving rather interesting Smile
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: longer control arm options??? Thu, 17 February 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got a pic of a sigma one? also do sprinters have any anti-acherman angles built into them?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: longer control arm options??? Thu, 17 February 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try XT130 arms for a little longer than AE86, I think the Ke55 are shorter but may have the wrong bolt point for the sway bar
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: longer control arm options??? Thu, 17 February 2005 21:04 Go to previous message
mad conversion!
not only do you get around 3 degrees neg camber, but it allows you to wind in HEAPS of + castor too on the stock castor rods!
although my tyres are rubbing the edge of the guard pretty bad, im going to have to flare them, no worries Evil or Very Mad
the reason for using the ra40 tie rods, is by putting the longer control arms in your making the length from inner and outer tie rod ends greater, and if you use the ae86 tie rod's they'll only be hanging on by about 1 or 2 threads, you NEED longer tie rods!
and heres a pic of the camber, i didnt take a pic of the control arms, they look exactly like the ae86 ones, just longer.
http://img113.exs.cx/img113/9488/camber6jg.jpg

note: adjustable strut tops is a much easier conversion, this is not a bolt in swop

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2005 21:15]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sway Bar Binding - Solutions ?
Next Topic:Fixing some gutter marks?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:02:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053551197052002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.