Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZGTE Problems!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 07:37 Go to next message
It just keeps going and going!

What are the chances of the head gasket in one of these leaking? I took my car to a mechanic today, there was a slight oil leak, well it was alot actually, one rear bolt from the rocker cover was missing, could this be the problem? I have put the bolt back in, and im sitting the car there, to see if it leaks again. I just really hope, it isntt he gasket!
  Send a private message to this user    
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An improperly torqued rocker cover can leak oil a fair bit... Was it leaking oil from near the bolt?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you sure its not just leaking oil from between the valve cover and head?

Because that is very likely to happen when missing a bolt
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The chances of a motor leaking oil between the head and the block, while not showing any other signs of a BHG, are so slim that I'm surprised people even come to this conclusion.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
serious? thats good news, I left my car for about 1 hour, and there were no drops. But then, i took it for another wrap, a hard one, and left it a bit longer, and the leak was back Sad

Who is a 1J expert I can take the car too?? Could it be the gasket under the rocker cover?
Also, that damn plug still giving me troubles Sad
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With regard to the miss, identify the cylinder (which it sounds like you did) then try to ascertain if it is an ignition or injector problem.

Plug a spark lead in the end of your coil pack and see if you get a spark. If you get spark, replace the spark plugs (IIRC, the platinum plugs on those things foul easily - do a search). If still missing, then likely to be an injector problem. Take them out and get them cleaned.

As for the oil leak, clean the mess. Take it for a drive. Check to see where the oil is coming from. Fix leak.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 January 2005 12:50]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, it seems like the leak is coming from the "custom" sump, and head gasket, well thats what the mechanic said, who did show me, But I want to not belive it! So you think dirty injector can cause the cylinder not to work?

Thanks for your help guys

ps: giantomatto, what is a spark lead?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 23:01

ps: giantomatto, what is a spark lead?

Confused Confused Confused

Yes, well anyway... JZ engines are known to leak around the cam cover gaskets as the bolts can work their way loose over time. Note this is NOT the same as a head gasket, and fixing it is as simple as tightening the bolts properly. My 2JZ was leaking all over the place when I got it, turns out the bolts were finger tight!

And it's also interesting to note tha oil leaking from this location can end up drowning the spark plugs... and this can lead to ignition problems. My Celica used to periodically develop a miss for this very reason... I had to remove the spark plug, let the oil drain away, and then it was all good again.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Tue, 25 January 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A spark plug lead is a lead that you might find on a conventional car connecting the distributor to the spark plug.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Wed, 26 January 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohh yeah, I know what that is hehee
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Thu, 27 January 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

I drove the car to wakefield yesterday, and when I got there, there wasnt much oil dripping, only a patch on the ground about the size of a 50c coin. When I drove home, I went past kogarah, then back to the liverpool area, so all up, about 300km, and I check the car after about 4 hours, and there was no oil dripping. I tightened up the rocker bolts, and also added one (As the rar one was missing) hopefully this has fixed it. Im Yet to fix the plug issu tho, this was happening on and off coming home from wakefied, I have a feeling it could be the injectors.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Thu, 27 January 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pull your coil pack cover off and check for oil around that last spark like Norbie said.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Thu, 27 January 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na, there isnt oil there, The cover has been off all the time. I might take it all out and give it a clean.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Wed, 09 February 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, I have fixed my oil problem, it was that missing bolt of the rocker cover, also the power steer pump was leaking. But I still have this problem with the coils.

I tried new coils on the weekend, but this did not help, the spark plugsare also fine. Its the connecteor that plugs into the coil, and thet black box thing (Whats this called?) Is an Electrician the best peson to see?
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Wed, 09 February 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane

The black box will be the igniter.
Yes, a good auto electrican should be able to tell what is worng there.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Thu, 10 February 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 23:38

(IIRC, the platinum plugs on those things foul easily - do a search).

I'll second that!

Also, connectors between plugs and coils dissintegrate fast.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE Problems! Thu, 10 February 2005 05:34 Go to previous message
Thanks Guys, gotta take it to an Auto elec, need it fixed before Wed, so I can run it!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TOYOTA 4AGTE Engine builders [Vic]
Next Topic:rn25/27 diff to ra28
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 07:57:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067508220672607 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.