Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Advice on driving a VERY cammy car.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:34 Go to next message
Alright, just thought i would see what experience others have had with driving extremely cammy cars. The 86 doesnt actually make much power under 4000rpm and is less inspiring than a 4ac on diesel down that low. Hitting 4000rpm it gets a whole whackload of power and pootles (technical term) off quite nicely. However, getting it there off a hard launch is proving difficult.
I guess the 3.7kg flywheel isnt helping matters a great deal, nor would the 3.9:1 ratio diff which is in there. Basically i can launch at 3000ish rpm and get some wheel spin off but then it bogs down into uninspiring tractor rubbish until it lets fly again at 4000rpm. If i launch at higher rpm i just lose traction for longer, and lower rpm it threatens to stall due to the light flywheel. Im loathed to balance the clutch as its not designed to take this amount of abuse.

Anyone got some ideas for me to get off the line?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how big are the cams?
how well is it tuned?
my poor little car only has 275/284 cams, with 65 deg overlap, but it will hold in idle of 600rpm now with EFI.. and this is without decent ignition tuning (or any!).

if you can booth off at 3000rpm, and it then bogs down, it sounds like a tuning problem perhaps. it should be uninspiring, but shouldn't bog a such...

maybe slip at 4000 Wink
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fix the tuning and give it at least a 4.3 diff
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe you need a filter/restrictor in the line feeding the map sensor? it might be seeing way to many low-vacuum events (at low rpm) oreven getting confused by excessive pulsing to get a decent map reading?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The tuning is spot on, we just finished it on Monday. Needs a bit of a road tweak but other than that its good.
There is no MAP sensor, it is all TPS sensed.

Currently im thinking its as im going WOT at too low RPM to let it catch up. Ill have a fiddle when im driving it around for rego stuff tomorrow.

stewart: 308* cams quad throttles. Holds a 1100rpm idle quite easily (1100rpm as the coolant never warms up otherwise).

I guess "bog down" was a bit of a bad word. It comes off cam rather majorly, and is quite uninspiring.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on that, i was getting massive variation in MAP signal, ie 85-110kpa at WOT, just near where cam comes on. i put in a ryco carby fuel filter (Z15KS), 6mm in/outlets, and now my MAP is rock stable.. might vary by 1kpa, but no more...

highly recommended if you are using quads too (even tho mine is just a plenum with single TB)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh heh, alpha-N is not designed to be used at low rpm.. only in the power band of the motor.

since you effectively have 2D tuning between TPS and rpm, it kinda sucks...
did you try to tune on MAP? it can be done.. even if you only have 75-80kpa at idle.. (when mine drops off cam and idles at 600rpm, i have 90-95kpa, ie 5-10kpa vacuum)

308 are kinds big cams Wink Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aye, i woudl take your advice, if i had a MAP sensor. It is still in its blister packaging from when i ordered it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 23:55

Aye, i woudl take your advice, if i had a MAP sensor. It is still in its blister packaging from when i ordered it.

Very Happy heh heh.... what if you use less that WOT at low rpm and then floor it after 4Krpm?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Mon, 24 January 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill find that out today, i was pretty heavy footed at the khana yesterday.
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Tue, 25 January 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GET A FOUR POINT THREE, or better a 4.8

even a 4AC sprinter starts to feel a bit quick with a 4.3

dodgydan
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Tue, 25 January 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just practice, my car is a bitch to launch with 288 deg cams, twin carbies and a 3.9
i only just perfected the launch on it, i hold it at about 35000rpm and drop the clutch as fast as i can without letting the wheels spin, so they are just screeching a little.
once the clutch is right out and the cars at about 4000rpm...MASH
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Tue, 25 January 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You running a smallport or bigport? I've heard of similar things from TVIS with wild cams. If you have TVIS, disable it so it's always open, or take out the butterflies.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Tue, 25 January 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been playing with it a bit today, and i think i have figured out a half decent way to get it to launch properly. Involves a LOT of feathering of the throttle until it gets to 4000rpm and then WOT from there. Pretty annoying to do with the lightened flywheel, but i think thats jsut because i need practice.

Its a 20v quad throttled, TPS sensed, smallport 16v 4AG with 308* cams and a 3.7kg flywheel mated to a quaife 1st and 2nd gears with a 3.9 T series diff.
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Wed, 26 January 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your dragging put in auto with a highstall and launch control?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Advice on driving a VERY cammy car. Wed, 26 January 2005 02:12 Go to previous message
badboybubby wrote on Wed, 26 January 2005 12:58

If your dragging put in auto with a highstall and launch control?

and loose 20kw from the driveterrain Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:std thickness on 18RG head
Next Topic:3S-GTE rebuild parts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 16:18:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052430629730225 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.