Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
LuC146
Occasional Poster

January 2005
3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Tue, 25 January 2005 14:19 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Hows it going? As you can see i'm the new kid on the block. Anyways more to the point. I've recently purchased a very cheap 1990 NA sw20 mr2 through JSPEC imports..I got the car for $5800, about 8k on road...It's in good shape apart from the paint work..heres a pic http://www.j-spec.com.au/clients/1793/04.jpg

As you could have guessed i've been bitten by the modifying bug and have decided to upgrade to the 3sgte...Although i'm after quite an angry 3sgte (250rwkw) and want to get it right the first time..So i was wondering if this was a good plan and if anyone could hook me up with some recommended mechanics, suppliers etc..

1.)i want to upgrade the turbo straight off the bat so I heard that buying a 3sgte engine without a turbo would be the cheap way to go?

2.) rebuild + new turbo...pistons, rods, cam shafts, cam gears, valves, rings etc...(i'm not actually too sure on the internal strength of the 3sgte so if any of these parts wont need upgrading for 250rwkw tell me please)

well thats about it..i want to get the engine and rebuild it soon so its ready to be whacked in the car when it gets here...my budget for the cost of the engine and the mods is about 6k...I know it's not a massive budget but im hoping it will cut it...

What other things would i need for the conversion? All info would be much appreciated. i'm reading old threads for info but would like my own in here too..

Cheers guys
  Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Tue, 25 January 2005 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I doubt $6k is going to be enough for you to see 250 rwkw from a 3S.

Lets take a look at what you're going to need, just the basics. These are only very approximate prices.

Turbo - $2000 for a GT less for an old school thing
External Wastegate - $400 for a tial
Exhaust Manifold - $600+
Water and Oil lines for turbo - $400
Dump pipe - $400
Exhaust - $600
Upgraded intercooler - $500 for a second hand upgrade in the stock location to a couple of grand for a new water to air
Bigger fuel rail - $300
Bigger injectors - $800
Upgraded fuel pump - $200
Upgraded Clutch - $600+
Programmable management - $3000+ including install and tuning
Cams - $1000+
Cam Gears - $350

Then you still haven't bought the basic engine or had it built strong enough for what you want. You should also look at doing something about the standard intake manifold as it has some serious flow balance issues.

On a brighter note there isn't really any need to upgrade the 3S rods for the power you are aiming to make.

LuC146
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Wed, 26 January 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok well thats a little depressing...Double my budget lol...I wanted to do this without taking out a loan so..What would be the best modifications for me to do with about $6000?

1.) buy a 3sgte half cut
2.) basic rebuild..rings, valves, etc..i guess the big parts will have to wait till later..
3.) exhaust
4.) upgraded cooler
5.) boost controller

Would that be a good way to spend 6k? Or can someone with more experience send me on a brighter path? I don't mind having to use good condition second hand parts.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Wed, 26 January 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think turbo sw20 half cuts are closer to 3k then it will cost you $500 to do the conversion which comes in the form of changing plugs belts hoses etc..

so u have 2.5k so what $100 pod filter

$1500 3 inch exhaust

$200 boost controller

so whats that 1700 buks so you have $700 left which should be able to get a second hand upgraded intercooler.

Should have you moving nicely

Oh dont forget to get a blue slip for the conversion either

my 2 cents

[Updated on: Wed, 26 January 2005 08:17]

LuC146
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Wed, 26 January 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice man. Can anyone here from around the Sydney, Newcastle, Central coast area give me the name of a recommended mechanic to do the conversion? I want someone who has performed a 3sgte into an NA mr2 before..
hiredthug
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Wed, 26 January 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Save the money [6k odd?] and try to source a gen III rear cut mr2 engine. That is about the price range they go for and what you'd get is the 184kw engine variant, rounded tailights, turbo engine lid and the lsd gear box. 6k should be enough for the rear cut. However sourcing one is a biatch, and you may have to go to an parts importer to source one in japan for you.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Wed, 26 January 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luc146 i have finnaly achived that figure and from what i have done that 6k i would say changed it to about 15k - 18k i say this because with that much power expect problems... u will need to get a lsd gear box $$$ and then most likly rebuild $$$ then u will have issues with CV's more $$$ you will have to get the iners strengthed parts. list goes on and on. im not trying to talk you out of it cause that much power in an mr2 belive me is friggen unbelivable. just be prepared for problems and lots of money. I wish you the best of luck.
LuC146
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That does sound like a nice option..But i think i'll take this gen 1 half cut that i've found. It will be enough to keep me happy for the time being i think. So once again, can anyone recommend any mechanics?
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but nothing in newcastle. as that where u are located right.
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fark! Nice price on the car!

Good luck with your plans! SW20's are THE SHIT Smile I love them Very Happy
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CVAP(forums sponsor) was selling a BEAMs 3SGE($3800 SW20 half cut) on here a while ago, not sure if it's still for sale, but you could ask, that would be a nice 200ps N/A conversion, and possibly save you a bit of money with the extras that Turbo's add
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry luc my prices was the cost for you doing the conversion yourself.

I did an engine swap when all i knew how to do was change the oil and sparkplugs.

When i did my conversion in my aw11 i bought a low cay half cut and simply transplanted everything from half cut. I learnt a heap and i could do it in a quater of the time it took me last time.
If you were gonna get a workshop to do the converion expect 3-5k as it is quite labour intensive. However if you do decide to do it yourself then pm me id be happy to lend a hand.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want an mr2 rear cut give sssautomotive a call. Every time ive been there they have had atleast 3 sw20 and 3 aw11 half cuts.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuC146 wrote on Wed, 26 January 2005 22:07

Thanks for the advice man. Can anyone here from around the Sydney, Newcastle, Central coast area give me the name of a recommended mechanic to do the conversion? I want someone who has performed a 3sgte into an NA mr2 before..

Might be worth taking it to sydney and speaking to bd4's they are prettey renown for working on mr2's and making some prettey highly powered ones.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't recommend BD4's for any conversion they have ever done.

i dont like them, i think they overcharge and cut corners like you wouldn't believe. I would consider doing this conversion myself, but dont really have the time and space atm.... my housemates would probably get a little annoyed - considering there are already 3 project cars here!!

just do it yourself. there are heaps of mr2 forums which have massive amounts of guides to doing this conversion.

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would reccomend doing this conversion myself aswell but not all people are mechanically oritentated (spelling?)
LuC146
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Thu, 27 January 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the info MR.2 i didnt see your post this morning. Well from what you've experienced it looks like i'll be waiting until im at royal military college in canberra before i start throwing that much money at it.

By the sounds of it everyone is recommending doing the conversion myself..i was thinking that but didnt know how difficult it would be as i'm not overly experienced with things like this...Does anyone have any conversion guide sites that would be helpful? If so please post up ASAP

4agte i'd love a hand i'll PM you now.
stratoscorse
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: 3sgte into NA SW20 mr2 Mon, 30 May 2005 06:18 Go to previous message
I've got a SW20 Turbo I'm parting out, I've listed it else where in this forum but just incase you missed it, i'll tell you about it.

The car is crashed damaged, spun around against something like armco, so the damage is not to major and has not involved the mechanicals or the cabin but has damaged most outer pannels (except for the passanger door) and nolonger has usable chassis numbers, so i'm parting it out.

I've still got every thing need for a NA to turbo conversion.

Including the strong turbo gear box and axles.

Also other items like Turbo engine lid, to make the conversion complete!

So basicaly I can offer you what you would get from a half cut place some extras like factory turbo Dash with boost gauge, front brakes etc.
Plus you can here it run as it is still all complete.

I'm also from the outter Newcastle area, down near Toronto if that helps.

anyway email me if any ones interested:

Mr2parts@gmail.com or if that doesn't work gives us a call on 0416 236 012

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:new engine
Next Topic:Strut brace for a Ra2X
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 20:15:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078990459442139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.