Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Twin vs single system Mon, 24 January 2005 11:42 Go to next message
Hi all,
Just idle time, thinking about getting rid of the fake twin system on the s00b with a real one.

Standard system joins somewhere up in front (I haven't gotten that far underneath the car to see) and then splits again just after the rear diff.

My question is, what are the benefits of going for a twin system on an H6 as opposed to just going a single.

Will having only 3 cylinders on each bank cause too much pulsing? I'd like tuned length headers to remove that ghey boxer burble.
I don't really know much about exhausts so I don't know the effect of having only 3 cylinders in each exhaust system will be like.

The weight of a twin system is a bit of an issue, but I already have a fake one on the car so I don't think weight will be that much more.

Engine is a 3.0L making 180kW & 297Nm if that will help.

I've also posed the question to Brett Middleton of the Middleton Rally Team (MRT):
From Brett Middleton

From Nark

Hi Brett,
Are the headers tuned length? I really hate the boxer burble, so would like something that'd make the car scream rather than throb.

Are the exhaust kits available for the 3.0L? If so, do you have a dyno graph showing the difference?

What I'd really like is a true twin system rather than the split one that the car came with. Any chance of you creating something like this in the near future?

Headers are designed for TORQUE.
We do ALSO offer a tuned header, however its performance varies with model.
Yes the 3 litre kit is complete, please call us, data and dyno info postred soon.
A TRUE SPlit system will be worse than the kit we offer.

Sounds a bit suss to me, especially that last line.

But then again, I don't know much about exhausts.
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Twin vs single system Mon, 24 January 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might want to search v8 (and ... oh my god... v6 commode) forums to see what they say about split systems.

my (limited) knowledge of this was that without the balance pipe you get serious resonance in both sides of a 'split' system

you'd probably be safer to get decent headers that feed into a decent sized (but not large enough to drone so 3" would be the maximum, maybe even just 2 3/4") single resonator & exhaust. you could take the edge of the bark with twin CATs at the end of both header-collectors.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Twin vs single system Mon, 24 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look for pics of a V8 supercar on its lid Very Happy
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Twin vs single system Mon, 24 January 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 22:42

My question is, what are the benefits of going for a twin system on an H6 as opposed to just going a single.

V6 and v8 info but i cant see there being anything different on a boxer 6.
In a nut shell more power and torque. But you'll need a crossover or balance pipe of around the same size as the exhaust. (Can go a little smaller for the sake of clearance but not bigger). Located around where the gearbox is.

Quote:

Will having only 3 cylinders on each bank cause too much pulsing? I'd like tuned length headers to remove that ghey boxer burble.

That i wouldn't have a clue of but on an 8 it sounds dead sexy.

Quote:

I don't really know much about exhausts so I don't know the effect of having only 3 cylinders in each exhaust system will be like.

That my friend is a case of trial and error which means $$$$$. But in in a case like this you'll be able to use the front and rear of the standard exhaust.

Quote:

The weight of a twin system is a bit of an issue, but I already have a fake one on the car so I don't think weight will be that much more.

On a 3.0L motor, on average, the ideal pipe size would be around the 2.5in, while with twins its around the 2in size. Its a little more weight but its easier to find the room to fit.

"Headers are designed for TORQUE" - Hummmmm, yes and no. Its more or less an age old fight of torque and horsepower.
"We do ALSO offer a tuned header, however its performance varies with model." - ?????? different factory work maybe? Like cams, intake.
"A TRUE SPlit system will be worse than the kit we offer" - This bit is true, very true. Without the balance pipe you'll wind up losing power and not gaining anything.
One other thing is that when asking for a dyno sheet also ask what else has been done. More so if the gain looks to true to be good.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Twin vs single system Mon, 24 January 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
van dorkus, check planetsoarer they go on about crossover pipes a fair bit.

crossover pipe = teh win
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aiight. Will do more research into crosspipes.

Robbo_RA40, some good stuff at planetsoarer. That V8 Clubsport PDF is quite interesting.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much do you want to spend?

A full twin system, with balance pipe, and custom tuned extractors will cost about $2500, if not more.
Maybe $500 less if you can get the extractors off the shelf.

Not really worth the $$ IMO.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark,

Have a look at a Porsche, after all they are a Boxer 6 cylinder.

Whatever Porsche do must be the best !

I think it's quite funny that the new sOObies are only a fake twin system !

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 08:58

I think it's quite funny that the new sOObies are only a fake twin system !

Not really.
I'd say they do it for costs.
Cheaper to run a single cat and resonator than two.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True, it would be cheaper to have 1 cat/resonator.

But it seems to be a trend for Jap cars at the moment to have dual outlets/rear mufflers
(eg. Honda Accord Euro, Mazda 6, Honda S2000)

Does twin mufflers/outlets really improve a the performance ?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It decreases performance slightly.

You are splitting the exhaust flow up after forcing it together.
Not good for flow.

However, it enables you to run 2 2" mufflers, instead of a single 3".
A single 3" will create more drone.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run the twin system is my advice, but also join it up to equalise it...

A lot of the V6 Commodore guys equalise (Join them up) at the cat...
The headers run off the engine, drop down under the car, and join into the single Cat convertor, from there, the guys will alter them directly after the single cat, and split them again...
Remember this, when you split the system into the 2 pipes, halve the size of the engine to get how much exhaust gas should go through each...
You have a 3Litre, so effectively, each pipe breathing a 1.5L 3 Cylinder engine...
An engine of that size, 2" is at the top of what you want in N/A...
Now I'm assuming your Sooby is turbo, so the 2" pipe will be perfect for it...
Where the pipes are joined though, you will want either 2.5" or 3" (3" if turbo) until it splits again...
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 12:42

It decreases performance slightly.

You are splitting the exhaust flow up after forcing it together.
Not good for flow.

However, it enables you to run 2 2" mufflers, instead of a single 3".
A single 3" will create more drone.

The other problem with splitting the exhaust up, is the heat losses...
In the exhaust you want the gases (And pipe) as hot as possible so they exhaust gas is expelled as quickly and easily as possible...
As you cool the gases, they condense, and slow down, they then create greater back pressure... Of which makes breathing for the engine hard...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 10:42

The headers run off the engine, drop down under the car, and join into the single Cat convertor, from there, the guys will alter them directly after the single cat, and split them again...

Why would anyone want to join it up just before the most restrictive part of the exhaust?

Run twin cats, then into a single.

I'd say the commoboys do it because it saves them $250 in not buying another cat converter.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if anyone recalls the pictures of the new v10 BMW engines recently posted, they might remember that they had the CATs right up close to the engine with the O2 sensors just ahead of them - most efficient place for the CATs to work properly, keeps the heat from under the car (read: SA bushfire), leaves firewall between CATs and cabin rather than thin floorpan.

i'd suggest something like that ... 2 x CATs up close-and-personal with the the ends of the collectors - after them, it's all just noise control.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just climbed underneath the car to have a look.

There are two cats. It looks like they're virtually joined onto the headers.
There is a small resonator behind each cat.
Then the system joins together just about at the back of the gearbox.
There's a small resonator , then a larger one (or maybe it's a mid muffler).
From there it snakes underneath the diff and then seperates to the two rear mufflers.

It's not a cheap system by any means! They seem to do everything right, the pipes gradually get smaller in diameter after every cat/resonator/muffler.

Now that I've seen it, maybe I'll just keep it, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The headers would probably be the only thing I'd change.

I might try to get underneath the car and snap some photos.

Oh, and the car is not turbo.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 January 2005 09:04]

Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 13:49

Kyosho wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 10:42

Why would anyone want to join it up just before the most restrictive part of the exhaust?

Run twin cats, then into a single.

I'd say the commoboys do it because it saves them $250 in not buying another cat converter.

They usually do it that way if they run a cat back exhaust twin system... They will generally keep the standard cat, or get the LS1 cat witht he single exhaust...
Much cheaper...

But yes, generally 2 cats would be better... Big high flowing ones...
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Tue, 25 January 2005 13:42

Run the twin system is my advice, but also join it up to equalise it...

What your saying is basicly a "X-pipe"
Quote:

Where the pipes are joined though, you will want either 2.5" or 3" (3" if turbo) until it splits again...

I'd try a 2.5" cat a 3" might lose some power.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Twin vs single system Tue, 25 January 2005 21:40 Go to previous message
http://e30m3performance.com/index.html

this dude explains about X-pipes somewhere in his site. might be some help
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGZE translated wiring diagram or manual
Next Topic:1989 sv21 camry 3sfe 2.0 4cyl twin cam needs help