Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE92 SX SECA - What to look for ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
AE92 SX SECA - What to look for ?? Thu, 13 January 2005 23:06 Go to next message
Firstly, I hope this is the right place to ask this.
Secondly, I did a search, but I found nothing specific.

A mate of mine is looking to buy a 89-92 AE92 SX Seca and asked me a few questions about what goes wrong with them, any known issues etc, anything in particular to watch out for ??

Also, The Redbook and Glass's Guides say they are worth from around $4500 to $7500 - Is this realistic, or are the true sale prices higher or lower ??

I know that the Corolla has a reputation of strentgh and reliability - does this ring true of the SX models ??

Any help wouyd be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: AE92 SX SECA - What to look for ?? Fri, 14 January 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4-7k is about right

Look for gearboxes, Abused ones will crunch on gear changes or hard to slot in at higher revs.

Interior Trim Level you'll find the panels near the doors are usually faded, Door trims deteriorated around the cups.

See if the A/C is working if available.

Power side mirrors. Check suspension and exhaust leaks.

One other important thing. Get the owner to redline the car a few times, listen to see if it struggles or blows any smoke (whatch the rear view or side mirror) if they are reluclant to rev high.. its rings or valve stem seals are shot.

Other than then there great and easy to repair
jamem
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: AE92 SX SECA - What to look for ?? Fri, 21 January 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine has been very reliable (1990 model). If he's specifically after the SX, make sure it is an SX. I read a few years ago that some have been trying to pass off others as an SX. Check for all the individual gauges on the dash - temp, oil, battery. Also the SX is the 100kW not 86kW (?), so check for that and the support across the engine bay. The first thing you'll notice though is the spoiler on the back.

It hasn't had any major problems. The rear springs don't like having a tow bar permanently connected. Has a little trouble going to 2nd after high revs. That's about it.
SARTZ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: AE92 SX SECA - What to look for ?? Wed, 26 January 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the main problems that i find with most AE92s is:
- many drivers side seats have little rips in them
- the plastics beside the driver and passanger (where the seat belt hangs) is, in most cases, old and crumbly

but the main thing to look out for when buying a AE92 (or any car) is the actually seller. make sure that he is a decent person, and has brought the car to decent and reputable places to service the car and perform any modifications.

good luck to him Wink
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE92 SX SECA - What to look for ?? Thu, 27 January 2005 11:44 Go to previous message
Guess this applies to any AE92 Seca...

Check around the windscreen & rear hatch glass for any signs of rust, not so common around the windscreen but both Seca's i've owned have had rust beginning around the bottom of the rear hatch.

Also check the boot for any signs of water leaking into it, if the rear lights aren't sealed properly for one reason or another then the spare wheel well tends to pool water.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2005 14:58]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4E-FTE (Starlet) into RWD???????
Next Topic:Pistons
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:48:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046260356903076 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.