Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18" rims on a AE92.... how?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SARTZ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
18" rims on a AE92.... how? Wed, 26 January 2005 14:12 Go to next message
hey people..
im wanting to put new rims on the rolla, but im not sure which size..
at the moment, i have 16" rims with 205 tyres (if it matters), and i get no rubbing at all, eventhough my car is quite low..

i have tried 18" rims (225) on my car, and i could not even drive.. the car was sitting on the tyres..

- i just wanted to know how people can manage to drive reasonable fine with a dumped corolla AE92 with 18" rims.. for those that manage, how wide are your tyres, and how bad is the rubbing? did u need to lift the ride height? would 17"s be much better?

i know 17" rims would be the best as there would be little rubbing, but i have my heart set on 18s Smile

thanks!!

[Updated on: Wed, 26 January 2005 14:32]

Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18" rims on a AE92.... how? Wed, 26 January 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17" rims are big enough on an AE92... 18" rims will be just showey Razz
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: 18" rims on a AE92.... how? Thu, 27 January 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Sartz
your in the Edensor park are yeah?

have you Seen that dark flip paint Ae92 seca around that way on 18z?
yeah well its dumped 4"...... it rubs.
215zx35 it also depends on the offset you get too.
my enkei gzeros rubbed on my seca but my zepters didnt, they were both 17z dumped 4" too.

And.... it will rub on the top part of your gaurds too....
on bumps dips anything other than a amooth suface you'll hear some rubbing
I suggest
Roll the Guards as best you can then put your wheels on, make sure the sit inside the guards not the guard sitting on your tyres, if the gaurd is on your tyre either your profile is way too big or your offset is incorrect...then if it still rubs most cheap wheels with front drive offsets may not always fit right, get a good quality set of wheels too as they will more than likely have the offset to suit your car...
after driving for awhile take your wheels off have a look at your rear guards at the top you will notice a rubb mark where tha outer corner of your tyre hits.... take a hammer to it after about an hour of beating the whole thing upmake sure you leave it a smooth as possible or else the rubbing will sound louder and higher pitched.. put the wheels back on go for a drive it should be better by now....if not do it again.

oh that reminds me your gona have to take out the inner plastic parts of your guards too, if you dont do it, your tyres will do it for you.
hope that helps...

If you cant be stuffed doing that stick with 17z its only a bit less work...
Cheers Will.

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 18" rims on a AE92.... how? Thu, 27 January 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I seen that seca, im in wetherill, a have a friend who lives next door, awesome car/rims/colour
SARTZ
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: 18" rims on a AE92.... how? Thu, 27 January 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i live around the edensor park area, and are u talking about the purple 20v turbo seca? if so, yeah, thats heaps nice!

i guess i wouldnt have to go through as much hassles if i had the 18"s on, coz my car isnt dumped 4"s.. maybe about 2.5", but when u have a bodykit, you get the illusion of a dumped car Smile

hopefully that will make it a little easier to slot 18s under my guards.. i might just have to go to a tyre place and ask to try a few rims on.. if i have too much hassles, im sure 17" rims wil do the job just fine Wink

what offset soes the AE92 have anyway Embarassed

BTW, if anyone has dished 5 spoke white rims for sale, Pm me Smile
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: 18" rims on a AE92.... how? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats the one....
Yup he's my brother... Embarassed
ive done so much on that car its not funny.....
yeh well If youve got a kit and its only lower 2.5 inch your 18z will make the car look higher and the gap in the guards will still look abit funny.... so minimum 3.5 upfront and 3 rear will make it look hot... the kit will sit closer to the ground but it shouldnt be a drama if you know how to drive...
let us know how it turns out...
offset??? man im not sure at all but when you try the wheel on you will know when its right...it shouldnt touch the struts and it shouldnt rub on the guards....
Cheers Will.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 18" rims on a AE92.... how? Mon, 31 January 2005 07:31 Go to previous message
AE92 offset is usually 35-38mm, up to a maximum of ~41mm...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Maintenace Q's (Batt, Fuel Filter ect) OH and brakes!
Next Topic:Car wont rev past 3,500
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:58:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004256010055542 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.