Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 09:26 Go to next message
guys i want to know the advantages/disadvantages or difference of mounting the caliper to the front of the disc or the rear?

any advise much appreciated
  Send a private message to this user    
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is some physics involved here sort of...

But from memory, you get a better braking ability when the caliper is at the front of the rotor... It's really wierd stuff... But in a car, there isn't much advantage at all...

Which ever is easiest to mount is the best really...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the brake upgrade i have is from the cressida and they are moounted to the front of the disc but the stock celica brakes are mounted to the rear of the disc...

now with the upgrade i can really install the strut either way as it will fit the same no matter what, but i would like to know if there are benefits for either one...

from what i remember in physics under hard braking

- having the caliper to the front would give better gripping of the disc as it rolls down and into the caliper BUT would cause more dip of the front of the car

WHEREAS

- having the caliper to the back of the disc would have the disc roll up and into it and the front wouldnt dip as much

am i right in this assumption???
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your 100% correct in this assumption. If you look at it, you will find big heavy falcadores have the caliper positioned on the front and lighter cars like 3 series bmw nissan 200sx ect have the caliper on the back of the strut. Reasoning for this i can only assume is that with a light car you would not want all the weight of the car towards the front as you will end up locking up the arse end way to early compared to the front, as with a more weighty car i would doubt its so important. Though i really cant see a problem, i have calipers on the front of my struts on my ra23 due to positioning (i.e i had to have the bloody big things on there) and the front locks up with the rears quite nicely.

Cheers Adam
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thanks for that... im going to get an aftermarket adjustable engine bay brake proportioning valve so i can adjust the bias there anyway...

then my next Q would be what would be preferred you recon guys... having it at the fron or rear?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will find that with larger calipers you will have to fit the caliper at the front as it will hit the steering knuckle.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 21:44

You will find that with larger calipers you will have to fit the caliper at the front as it will hit the steering knuckle.

now that is something i didnt consider, with that in mind i am going to do CruZida's Z32 brake upgrade on the TA22 and just looking at his pics again i am going to have to go for the front mounted caliper setup...

thanks for pointing that out Shane
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No problem Very Happy
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brake caliper Q Fri, 28 January 2005 12:21 Go to previous message
Thats why i got my calipers on the front Smile they are to bloody big and hit the knuckle.

Cheers Adam
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Couple of wiring glitches
Next Topic:1G GTE info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:19:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070149898529053 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.