Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

RT72 Corona Sat, 29 January 2005 02:43 Go to next message
I have a RT72 corona painted in 2pac midnight black. Mint shell, backed to metal respray. New lenses, rubbers, suspension, nolethene bushes.

Would suit someone who is keen on restoring.
  Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: RT72 Corona Sat, 29 January 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What money are you after for it?
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Mon, 31 January 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you PM me some pics and a price?

Any driveline included?

Thanks.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: RT72 Corona Tue, 01 February 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it a SL or an auto?

Pity it's black Crying or Very Sad
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Wed, 02 February 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My second-favourite shape Toyota.

Black's not my favourite colour either. But I'd live with it for the right price.

When are we going to see some pics and a price?

I'm a serious potential buyer with a mate in the ACT who could check the car out for me.

Cheers.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: RT72 Corona Wed, 02 February 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Free Bump Smile

I used to see a few RT72's around, but they are very rare now. They must have gone to Shovelnose Heaven Crying or Very Sad

I think Toy OZ imported about 900 of them. I came across a couple of nice SL's (I'd never buy the auto with the strip speedo)in the past for sale but I wasn't in the position to buy, or they were already sold.

I have even see an private import sedan a few times and the wagon, only once.
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Wed, 02 February 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen a few SL over the years. But never an Auto one with a strip speedo.

There was an SL for sale on eBay in Sydney 12 months ago. It had a few dings and minor rust. Sold for $600!! I kicked myself I didn't bid. Sad
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: RT72 Corona Wed, 02 February 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the car is a manual. I must state the fact that this car is only really suitable for someone who already has one of these babies and is looking for another shell.

It's missing a fair bit of the interior and 1 or 2 external pieces.
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Thu, 03 February 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What happened to the missing bits?

Stolen and recovered?

Why are you selling it?

Still interested in price and pics. I may have a source for the missing parts. Smile
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: RT72 Corona Thu, 03 February 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I've seen a few SL over the years. But never an Auto one with a strip speedo.
yeah bnicho the autos has the same sort of dash architecture but with a strip speedo and of course no tacho. Unlike some cars of the time that had a column shift auto, it was a t-bar. The auto also had a single carby 8R motor instear of the SL's 8R-B with twin SU type Hitachis(?).

Have you already got one as a "source" of parts? Smile

I was trying to find a pic on the net to show you in the interest of science but no such luck! Just think of the basic non 1600S RT40 series Coronas and you will get the general idea-yuck.

When I first noticed these cars, initially I always saw the auto versions until I saw the SL version with the sports dash later found about about its' uprated engine etc.

Here is a link to a nice US spec SR-love the Minilights. http://toyotaclub.org/images/noshero/01082003019.j pg I don't know how different the SR was in detail to a SL. I would have known if I had sucessfully bidded on eBay for a bundle of US spec brochures which included Mk2 hardtops and wagons etc but I missed out due to a work pc/network being a bit laggy. Mad I also missed out on another item as I got stuck in in a work meeting-don't you hate that? At least I have sucessfully bidded on a few other items of memoribilia relating to JDM and assorted Euro stuff. Razz However a trader in Japan informed me that 1600GT and GSS brochures are both extremely rare and extremely expensive.....

Yes another other US SR here:
http://toyotaclub.org/news71corona.html

Dirty_Sanchez, free bump and good luck with the sale of the black beast. Cool
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: RT72 Corona Thu, 03 February 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went and had a look at this on the weekend. It was interesting but a tad more work than I'm looking for at the moment.

The SL model that it is looks like this:
http://www.monkys.jp/e/img/600DSC50078.jpg

However all the chrome trim on this one is painted black.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2005 21:55]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Thu, 03 February 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I'm familar with this model. There was a couple around "the Shire" in the early 90's. I am yet to see one in Victoria.

I have a source of parts in that a mate stripped and scrapped a very rusty RT72 in the mid 90's. He's one of those guys who saves every nut, bolt, trim clip etc, so he will probably still have all the missing bits (if he can find 'em!). If the car checks out, I'll talk to him about the missing bits.

That pic is a GSS from this site:

http://www.monkys.jp/e/ucar/1971RT72mark2.htm#

But it would look basically the same.

One US spec SR I saw on the web has the strip speedo and was Auto. That page is down, so I can post the link now.

Joshstix, can you elaborate on what work is needed, and what is missing? What is the paint like? (Black painted chrome trim does not sound promising!)

Dirty_Sanchez - ANY PICS OF THIS CAR YET? A PRICE?

Cheers.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: RT72 Corona Fri, 04 February 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a rolling shell with the hanging panels hung. I have no idea of what is missing though because I saw the shell and the rest of the parts are in a different location.

The car is an SL1900 it has the same bonnet, grille and tail light design as the one I posted in the pic above. The paint is a professional job, I didn't get too in detail looking at the paint as I was more interested in the completeness first.

It would be a really nice car when complete and the guys were awesome to take me out to have a look at it, just doesn't really suit me at the moment. I haven't really been looking for this model car and the amount of work needed to get this one up to the state I'd want isn't feasable for me at the moment. Especially after I saw what a MS51 looks like, now I do have an obsession to satisfy.

shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: RT72 Corona Fri, 04 February 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

That pic is a GSS from this site:
http://www.monkys.jp/e/ucar/1971RT72mark2.htm#

Not bad Cool All I need is $20k odd and a garage.

I prefer the front grille of the 1st and second series.
http://nelli.ikonia.fi/~crowncorona/index.php?p=12 &s=3

I was trying to navigate to that page from monky's home page and see what other stock of similar vintage they had and I couldn't find it. I only saw the very nice Silver Skyline (fake GTR).

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 02:30]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Fri, 04 February 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I prefer the flat grille too. My mate's scrapped one didn't have the "snout". Laughing

I did the same digging on that site with the GSS - nothing.

I wonder when the Mustang style rear lights came in, like on this car:

http://www.geocities.com/russellmtb/corona.html

They look cool!

BTW: Spotted a RT5# Corona 1600S hardtop in Melbourne today. Bright blue with white 15" simmons wheels and sitting about three inches off the ground. Unfortunately it had a huge bonnet scoop that would be more a home on a dragster, which ruined the visuals for me. Shocked
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: RT72 Corona Fri, 04 February 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Mustang style came out in 1970. The first 1969 and the 1971 madels had flat horizontal taillights although being Toyota, they were still subtley different to one another. Rolling Eyes I can't think of any model Toyota or otherwise, that had so many changes front and rear in the space of about 3 years. Anyway I would not say no to this green one. I imstakenly thought all the GSS's had power windows - they must have been an option. I don't know if all the Mark2s were called Toyopet in Japan, or whether they had "Toyota" ones as well for different sales channels.

The guy who runs the Rising Sun Collectors register has a green one with the nicest second series grille, with power windoows and factory auxiliary spotties hiding behind the grille + the wagon.

The yellow one looks pretty good - a pity that they used a mobile phone camera to take the pic Sad

I have seen that blue RT51 in Unique Cars a while ago for sale. I would almost bet my life that it is still the same owner driving it today, for obvious reasons.... Mad
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Fri, 04 February 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That RT51 1600S - If it's the same one that was advertised in the Melb Trading post six-to-twelve months ago, the price was probably part ofthe issue too. He wanted $14,000! Shocked

Maybe we should stick that RT72 GSS and the green RT114 GT I found on another site in the same container. Laughing Dream on!

shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: RT72 Corona Sat, 05 February 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I remember the price. I would not have paid $1,400 for that example. The owner who should have been shot for lack of taste was also stupidly ambitious Laughing

I'll modify the dream; instead of the US spec we can stick a GR or even the tasty SR in the crate to keep the GSS company Razz Razz

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=9583
Bottom left hand car is a GT - pitty A3 scanners are not cheap Sad

Attachment: RT111.jpg
(Size: 99.07KB, Downloaded 156 time(s))

[Updated on: Sat, 05 February 2005 12:11]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Sat, 05 February 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I meant stick the green GT from Japan in with the GSS, not the green SR-5 from the USA. Embarassed

WHERE did you get that scan? It's awesome! You could always scan it in two or three pieces and photoshop it back together. Very Happy
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: RT72 Corona Sun, 06 February 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which Green GT? JDM? Confused I only remember the link to the blue JDM 1800GL, as well as the green US spec one. I don't know about you but I prefer the look of the SR version with the black grill and wheels Evil or Very Mad

The scan I got from a Japanese book called Car Wacthers Guide: Toyota 1955-1991, which seems to have been done by Car Graphic, a local car rag. It has 280 pages and is in b&w with a minimum of text and basically has a chronological layout of each Toyota model range, starting with the Starlets and Corollas etc from 1955 (or the earliest year for the model) on 1991 etc. Some interior pics but mostly several variants of the car as per the scan I have done. I know about Photoshop but it was late and I was lazy 8)>

If you want I can do a proper one and email it to you. But the print quality is not stunning (more like a really good newspaper print rather than high grade glossy stuff than the Japanese can do so well) nor the paper quality high, which is why the book did not cost that much on eBay. I had a similar pic of the SR and GT in my World Cars from 1975 but I did this scan as it showed a lot in one go. Very Happy I missed out on a similar Nissan /Datsun item as the auction ended whilst I was at work and the combo of my PC having an off moment and a tempremental network meant that I missed out. Mad

Speaking of eBay there are some interesting things (for me) that are on auction. I have a job interview in the near future and these items all end closely together and I have to find an internet cafe and log on, otherwise by the time I get home after the interview it will be too late Mad . I will tell you what they are after the event - don't want too much competition....
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RT72 Corona Mon, 07 February 2005 01:58 Go to previous message
Posted reply in my RT114 thread, as we are getting off the RT72 sale topic!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SYD: FS: 1989 Nissan Skyline R31 **PRICE DROP $3,800**
Next Topic:SYD: FS: 1990 Ford Laser 1.6 Carby
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 22:27:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0092239379882812 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.