Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » I had too post this!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
I had too post this!!! Sat, 29 January 2005 14:31 Go to next message
I know it was back in 1999. I just can't work out what was sophisticated about it in 1978?????

http://www.fastlane.com.au/Features/Commodore_21.h tm
  Send a private message to this user    
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: I had too post this!!! Sat, 29 January 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing particulary - Wheels (who I think has always been on Holdens' payroll anyway) got excited because it delivered almost European standards of handling and ride at the time because Holden had paid a lot of attention to spring and damper rates, even theough the suspension design was quite orthodox.

It was more space efficent and more modern looking than the Kingswood it replaced, which is no surprise as that was nearly 10 years older. The engines were of course utter shit.

Basically the way I see it, Wheels gave it car of the year even though all the Commodore really achieved at the time was a locallly built and only partially designed car playing catch up with the dynamics standards that the better cars at a similar price point in Europe achieved.

The exterior panels, an amalgamam of Opel Reckord from the windscreen back and Open Senator front end to allow for that long piece of shit 6 cylinder boat anchor (or the shit v8's if you wanted to waste even more petrol whilst not going much faster) together with an Opel dashboard and revised suspension and the whole thing suitably strengthened up, meant that Holden didn't exactly have to reinvent the wheel. Rolling Eyes

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sat, 29 January 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of wheels, has there ever been a Toyota that has one car of the year?? My personal opinion is Toyota has a much better build then any Holden. Toyota's seem too last
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

What little respect I had for Wheels magazine evapourated when they gave the Leyland P76 the COTY award, oh so many years ago.

Needless to say that respect hasn't returned. Occasionally I flick through one at the newso and find it's still garbage.

seeyuzz
river
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick - not a wheels car of the year, but the prius is winning arse-loads of awards elsewhere
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know how the Mitsubishi Magna got car of the year in 1985 as my parents had an 1987 model and the auto fucked up on it (car was only 4 years old at the time) and just about anyone else I have known too have one has had problems with the automatics Shocked (must be a Mitsubishi thing) also it was pretty heavy on fuel. Although I must admit they have a nice interior. I'm starting to think thats how wheels works out the COTY award. If it's got Comfy seats or is a Holden thats the car that gets the COTY award.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 15:24

mick - not a wheels car of the year, but the prius is winning arse-loads of awards elsewhere

I wanna have a drive of a Prius. they sound really good. As I read on an old thread on this forum that they can get 62mpg!! now that is a great fuel ecconomy and had good performance for what it is. this is why I wanna drive one
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 15:42

draven wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 15:24

I wanna have a drive of a Prius. they sound really good. As I read on an old thread on this forum that they can get 62mpg!! now that is a great fuel ecconomy and had good performance for what it is. this is why I wanna drive one

they sound real cool - like dead silent just about - bloody things are stealth cars at slow speeds! Laughing
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all,
About the Prius a britain tv show called top gear road tested one - apparently there sposed to go like shit, and the accelation is sposed to be poor. But there a good car if you wanna save money and the environment i'd have one for sure,
Cheers
Brad
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 02:14

Speaking of wheels, has there ever been a Toyota that has one car of the year?? My personal opinion is Toyota has a much better build then any Holden. Toyota's seem too last

My car won the wheels sports car of the year in 1988! Ohhh yeah... Up against the Supra, RX-7, 300ZX etc. of the same vintage. I spose a FWD sports car was a novelty back then. Very Happy

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 01:31

I know it was back in 1999. I just can't work out what was sophisticated about it in 1978?????

when has a commadore ever been high tech their v8's still use pushrods.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mate went for a ride in a Prius... at full power takeoff it was plenty quick enough for a daily driver Smile The electronic system display looked awesome too hehe, said he would probably crash the car if he owned one just watching the display informing him what the car was doing... charging this circuit, that circuit on braking etc, battery usage, electrical engine usage and petrol engine usages... They also have a CVT I believe Wink
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 20:46

mick wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 01:31

when has a commadore ever been high tech their v8's still use pushrods.

thats what I though too when I read the link( that why I posted it) So according to that link, that would mean that my old 202 Holden ute had better technology then my 3S-FE Camry, right Rolling Eyes idiots No No No

Isn't the new Alloytec (aka rattle tec )V6 that everyone seemed too have be raving on about when the VZ came out is actually 1980's techonolgy? and I hear there not all that good? (don't know for sure as I'm yet too drive a Commodore made after 1999)
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 20:35

My car won the wheels sports car of the year in 1988! Ohhh yeah... Up against the Supra, RX-7, 300ZX etc. of the same vintage. I spose a FWD sports car was a novelty back then. Very Happy

well, theirs one good car that got the award then!! Very Happy yeah they seem too all bag FWD now but, strange hey?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a huge improvement over the dodgy 3.8ltr V6 which was a horrible thing all the ones that i have driven rattle like sh*t once u rev them over 4 grand.

The problem with holden is that they are cheap and to make things high tech they have to spend money. One of the main reasons they stuck with the old buick v6 for so long was that to have a quad cam they had to double the ammount of parts needed to build the engine i.e. 4 valves/valvesprings instead of 2
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bloody Holden Mad
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 20:35

Yep, wheels mag is a balls up.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Bradelz wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 19:43

Hey all,
About the Prius a britain tv show called top gear road tested one - apparently there sposed to go like shit, and the accelation is sposed to be poor. But there a good car if you wanna save money and the environment i'd have one for sure,
Cheers
Brad

Yep, and the Golf diesel not only out performed the Prius in acceleration and top speed, but it also gave better mileage and was a lot cheaper to buy.

seeyuzz
river
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: I had too post this!!! Sun, 30 January 2005 12:58 Go to previous message
i liked the new car price's back in the 70-80's
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Whats Toyota,light and OK for HPI street drag challenge
Next Topic:Should I scrap 3SGTE build in favour of 4AGTE build?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:47:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065739154815674 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.