Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » am i the only one with rooted rear windows?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Sun, 30 January 2005 15:13 Go to next message
my rear windows are a absoulute C*#T to say the least...(TA22 by the way)

ive heard from another bloke that a lot of ppl have the same problem and just weld them closed..i love the look of both windows down..but man they r GHEY!

anyone esle want to vent rear window anger?
  Send a private message to this user    
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Sun, 30 January 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mean they are just all wobbly and ghey?
they can be adjusted, ive seen some that have been done and they ran like brand new, im keen to get my back windos sorted out, actually front too!
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Mon, 31 January 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh very wobbly and very ghey...u have to wind the back ones down pretty slow and be very careful or they go off the rails and its a bitch to fix up again... most of the time u have to take the interior panel off to access the window...i dont think it helps with the rubbers in bad condition either
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Mon, 31 January 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep i feel ur pain,I just did the front ones which are now like brand new,I was going to just leave the back ones on my missus car fukked but now my ST rear right one has gone,so i am going to fix all the fukkers and im going to do it well! Give me a run down on what you guys have found to be the main weakness,is it just the shitty nylon guide that runs down the channel?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Mon, 31 January 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your frustration is nothing new unfortunately Confused but woth this problem there have been a few modifications made by people on the forums to combat this...

one such resolution is to go to your local hardware store and purchase 4 (2 for each side) wheel rollers (like those on sliding doors)

once you have them at the right size you drill the old hinges for the nylon ones off and replace it with them and all your worries are gone Very Happy

also celicaspares sell these rollers for $18 the pair Shocked but you can get the same ones from a hardware store for like $5-$10 the pair... go figure
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Mon, 31 January 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill have to take the panels off and have a look so i know wat ur gettin at -fade-e

will it be pretty straight forward after i have a look around?

the main problems are
- the window drops down off the rails
- The window rubber after it has fallen off the rail gets caught on the body panel (rubber is shot)

there is no way im weldin the back windows...one of my fav features on TA22s for me are the wickid look it has when both front and rear windows r down.......SOOO HOT! Cool
(My front windows are sweet as...)
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Tue, 01 February 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wen we did my ta22 we made all new bushes from nylon and they work sweet as. i have one spare if neone wants to have a look at it
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Wed, 02 February 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am bloody over these F%$kin windows!!!!!!!!!

today its been raining heaps heavy so my brother decides to fuck the rear window up...i have to work at 6 30 and it will proberly piss down..i just had it in the garage fartin around...its so hard to see wats goin on with the panel in the way...shits me to tears...i ended up just ramming newspaper up there for the time being...ARRRRRGH....

Mad
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinkin of doing a mini tech article on these,ill do mine over the weekend and see if i can work out a quick and easy solution..
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i did was make up a bush and bolted it on . how more straight forward can it get??
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Wed, 02 February 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not straight forward enuff for dumb dumb mitch mitch....

riceburna: a Tech Article is a good idea....but if u dont end up makin up one would u mind taking the time in telling me how it went?
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Thu, 03 February 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to bunnings, bought some ball bearing rollers that screw on with a locknut. They end up being the exact distance from the mechanism as the original bushes, the thread for the locknut fits perfectly into the hole left by drilling out the original bushing.

Assembled it all together and now my rear windows work beautifully!! They were only around $4 each too, bargain!
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Thu, 03 February 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what i said earlier... mate can you get pics of the final product??? or at least which ball bearing rollers you got???
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Thu, 03 February 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pix will be swell Very Happy
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Thu, 03 February 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Magicmitch,
I know what you mean they are probably the same designed windows on KE35s arnt they? Anyways my have some minor issues mine arnt exactly wobbley where the rubber meets up with the front window it doesn't seal probably and when i wash it(which is quite often) water gets in and when it rains it does the same. They look good tho when your front and rear windows are down. Hehe.
Anyways cya later,
Brad
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Fri, 04 February 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will post some pictures up tonight when I get home from work.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Fri, 04 February 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have step by step pictures on what to do but its quite easy anyway. One of my mechanisms is fixed and in the car, the other is sitting here and I couldn't be bothered to work on it at the moment.

Step 1 - Take rear winder mechanism as pictured.

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/c_winder.jpg

Step 2 - Grind or drill the rear of the pin off (the side you cannot see in the picture) You will then be able to get this out with a punch or it may even fall out. This will leave you with a nice little hole.

Step 3 - Go down to bunnings and pick up these rollers. They are about $4 each, mitre 10 wanted $10!!

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~veen01/c_roller.jpg

Step 4 - Screw the rollers into the holes remaining from the original bushes. They should fit it just nicely. Tighten with the supplied locknut. It may be a good idea to screw the lock nut on a few times before putting in the mechanism, just to get it worn in. It is quite hard to hold a ball bearing roller still and screw it on while its in the mechanism.

Step 5 - Figure out how to get the damn mechanism back in place. Have fun adjusting them and make sure everything is nice and lubricated and you should have a very smooth window.

This left me with rear windows that are nice and firm, and can only rock forwards and back if forced. Your windows won't fall out, tilt, stutter, or stop halfway down.

There is also one of these rollers in each of the front doors, these help with the final positioning of the window as it is going up to seal with the rubber.

Your front windows slide in channels, and if they are wobbling around you will find that the nylon runners are gone. There are two on the front and two on the back of your windows. You can cut these out of a breadboard and it works nicely.

Now your celica should have nice new working windows!

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 11:39]

magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Fri, 11 February 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went to bunnings and got me some of the rollers and did the windows it wasnt to hard it took a long time tho cause it was trail and error for about an hour and a half but i could do it within an hr now insted of 4 haha....

thanks for everyones help

p.s for anyone who thinks they cant do it...if i can manage it anyone can Razz
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Fri, 11 February 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magicmitch wrote on Sat, 12 February 2005 00:23

i went to bunnings and got me some of the rollers and did the windows it wasnt to hard it took a long time tho cause it was trail and error for about an hour and a half but i could do it within an hr now insted of 4 haha....

thanks for everyones help

p.s for anyone who thinks they cant do it...if i can manage it anyone can Razz

so your windows are back to normal hey? msut be a happy chap
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Sat, 12 February 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure am happy....

when u have all the parts out on the drive way it looks very intimidating but by lookin at the other window u can figure it out...i just hope the other window doesnt cark it...
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: am i the only one with rooted rear windows? Sun, 13 February 2005 02:26 Go to previous message
ok I have finally done mine,sorry no tech doc as I dont have digi camera anymore, anyways I have found the quickest way to do it:

As above you will need the rollers that are pictured,I paid 3.50 at bunnings.

Take out window Rolling Eyes
1)undo the stopper at the top of the channel

2)undo the 2 bolts to the channel that the rollers sit into

3)Jiggle the mechanism around a bit untill you are able to get the bracket that hold the window out,as you will see this is the part that holds the nylon bushes.

4)when you have this bracket above the window sill get someone to hold it while you grind off the old metal bits that held the nylon shit,grind them off and then grind right down to the bracket

5)get a punch and punch out the holes

6)get your new rollers,I threw out the nylon locknuts as it was giving me the shits trying to do the up with nothing to grip onto,so I just used a nut and washer.

7)Grease up everything that moves and all channels/guides

8)now with the bracket that has the new rollers in: feed the rollers into the channel but watch that you have positioned the arm with the black roller in its channel too,because the channel is still unscrewed its should be relatively easy to get everything lined up,if things seem to be a bit difficult try winding it down or up

9)now everything is in place pull channel back through and just do it up where the old screws left their marks,give everything a quick test and then put the window back in followed by the stopper that goes at the top of the channel.

I know reading through probably makes no sense but it may help..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what diff to use?
Next Topic:billet ke20 grille
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 13:42:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005267858505249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.