Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » mini spool is???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 01:21 Go to next message
a mini spool is a diff centre that does some
sort of diff function...

normal - open diff
locked - locked up *edit*...
..( ie pinion gears welded to side gears)
locker - can switch from open/locked
lsd - many types ,limited slip
mini spool - ??

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2005 02:44]

Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a locker - A proper one.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By stylers definition it's locked Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 11:39

A locker is capable of being locked or unlocked, depending on load (Detroit style locker) or switchable (air locker). A mini spool is basically a solid chunk of steel which replaces the diff centre, thus making it no longer a diff as such.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 13:59

AE86slut wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 11:39

A locker is capable of being locked or unlocked, depending on load (Detroit style locker) or switchable (air locker). A mini spool is basically a solid chunk of steel which replaces the diff centre, thus making it no longer a diff as such.

Well, the general definition of a locker is a welded diff. Correct or incorrect, for most people, a 'locker' is the best way to describe a mini spool.

A mini spool, as you say, replaces the centre, effectively 'locking' the axles together.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, to further that then, what's the difference between a mini spool and a full spool? One has spider gears for something and one doesn't? Or something like that?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mini spool replaces the spider gears in the original diff center, a full spool is a custom center that accepts your old crown wheel and barings and is typicaly much lighter/stronger

Allan
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, gotcha.

Guess there won't be any commercially available full spools for a g series diff would there?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. Practically any type of centre you can imagine is available for the G series, thanks to the 4WD community. 4WD Hilux's use G series centres.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe! as the G series is used in hi-lux's there are some serious bits available
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.difftechnics.com.au/carriers_spools.htm
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stand corrected..
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, just another quick question, If I get that spool, I'll still need my standard diff center won't I (std open center) and I"ll just fit te full spool in it, correct?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope your old center becomes scrap... considering yours is a road car an air locker maybe a bit more friendly! check out www.arb.com.au or get a detriot locker.

spools are for trailer queens

Allan
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.S fix your website Razz
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe
yeah working on it.

goto www.stradlater.com/celica_gallery/gallery.html

that'll work for the minute.

But what's a detroit locker gonna cost?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone was doing a group buy on here
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Mon, 31 January 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that was torsen centers.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

so mini spools must be road legal then?

so where can i get one for a ke30 and
wats the opinion as a mod?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
styler wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 10:40

so mini spools must be road legal then?

Definitely not.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think a detroit locker isn't the same as an air locker.
As i understood it a detroit locker is permanant.
I haven't modifyed a 4X4 for a long time so maybe things changed
But i had an arb air locker in the front and a Detroit locker in the rear.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No they are not the same. As I already said, the Detroit style locker will lock the axles when slip occurs (the rest of the time it's an open centre), while an air locker is switchable, ie you flip a switch and it locks up.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hate to be pedantic norbie, but what you said actually hinted at the detroit locker being 'switchable' IE you engage it via something when you want it to lock, otherwise it's open.

What you just said now is it only locks when you have slip? IE when one wheel slips it locks but otherwise it's open. What happens when you go round a corner? I guess cos it's not slipping per say' it doesn't lock?

Wouldn't that make it like a standard LSD?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess I wasn't being clear enough. As I hinted originally, a Detroit locker is load-sensitive, ie it will only lock up when you nail it (ie torque is applied). Go around a corner off the throttle and it will behave like an open centre.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 17:16

nope your old center becomes scrap... considering yours is a road car an air locker maybe a bit more friendly! check out www.arb.com.au or get a detriot locker.

spools are for trailer queens

Allan

You keep the "centre" (ie the carrier) and scrap the "hemisphere".

I plan on the detroit style locker when (if) I get around to doing my diff.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might understand what your talking about but remember to keep it dumed down for the toymods masses Razz
fester
Regular

December 2004
Re: mini spool is??? Tue, 01 February 2005 11:04 Go to previous message
the Detroit locker works with sprngs and toothed cages called cams. They refer to them camming in and out. Bit like syncros in a box. They slide across each as the load builds then lock so they do exhibit some chattering in operation althought eh current ones are better than years ago. Some people in teh 4WD world still don't like them saying they are a little unpredictable. eg you are never sure when they will lock or unlock. Not that they are unreliable but you have to be wary of your driving style. Being indecisive and on and off the throttle through a round a bout for example could have it locking and unlocking and they can be a bit harsh. Again teh latest versions are much better.
The air locker is much more user friendly as you turn it on and off but it is activated by air pressure so you need an air compressor to trigger it although in the car world you could get away with a small air tank if you are not turning it on and off too often.
Detroit is around the grand mark fitted from memory whilst the ARB air locker is around $1,600 fitted with the compressor.
There is another 4WD locker called the lock right which is similar to the detroit but uses a different cam system from memory and they are much cheaper and not quite as strong. Probably fine for a car though as most people say they are fine for Hilux's etc but not Patrols or crusiers.
Mini spool is a pain in the arse on the road just like a welded diff. My cousin has one in his v8 XF and the constant grabbing chirping of tyres around corners is a pain. It also introduces understeer in slow corners as it trys to push the car straight ahead which is where a locker (4WD talk for non permanently locked diff device) is better. The steering and tyre wear would drive you nuts.
Some people actually state the Detroit cuases some additional understeer but I've never owned a 4WD with one fitted so can't comment. ARB lockers are the ducks nuts however.

What about these newish Phantom LSDs or whatever they are called I've seen in the Pommy magazines lately. They look OK for the money????? Anyone got any experience of them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA65 electrical probs and manual
Next Topic:Average Guess on Price of 1985 Corona SR 2.4L?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 19:56:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074629783630371 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.