4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sat, 29 January 2005 11:06 Go to next message
One for all the 4age fans , not much 4age left standard

Toyota Atlantic Engine Builder of the Year continuously from 1995 - 2003

http://www.hasselgren.com/id29.htm
  Send a private message to this user    
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sat, 29 January 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah that is sweet. i have a soft spot for age's and that is just a fine piece of work. just curious what kind of money would you pay for one of those babies??
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sat, 29 January 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh baby oh baby oh

If you have to ask you can't afford it.

The dry sump piump alone is well into 4 figures out here.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sat, 29 January 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think they are something like 30k!
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sat, 29 January 2005 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
11000 RPM anyone? Laughing
squeak
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sat, 29 January 2005 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am currently in ney york city, and there is an ae86 that is featured in a yank car mag, it has one of these motors in it.
$55000 to $65000 US for one of these puppies, article says it puts out 215HP, but as with most yank mags the write up was shithouse not very imformative.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
squeak wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 04:57

i am currently in ney york city, and there is an ae86 that is featured in a yank car mag, it has one of these motors in it.
$55000 to $65000 US for one of these puppies, article says it puts out 215HP, but as with most yank mags the write up was shithouse not very imformative.

215HP sounds a bit low.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 12:18

215HP sounds a bit low.

agreed i thought they could squeeze about 500hp out of these things Confused
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lench wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 16:37

Shraka wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 12:18

215HP sounds a bit low.

agreed i thought they could squeeze about 500hp out of these things Confused

lol Laughing 500 hp NA, i dont think so. But mmmmmm looks tasty.

Daniel
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I visited Jaime Aislabie in New Zealand in 1998 - He builds very good Formula Atlantic engines - and he said the best he ever got (up to that point) was 242hp.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm different people building a "Formula Atlantic 4age".. I know not much about them but I thought they were special because thwy were built by a certain source soley with availability limited to whoever Toyota deams has the right to own one.....
Anyways, can someone fil me in.... according to these cases.
What defines an engine to be labelled "Formula Atlantic 4age"??
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Formula atlantic is simply a racing category that uses the 4AGE as the control engine. So by definition any 4AGE used in that racing category would be "labelled "Formula Atlantic 4age"".

It's not like Toyota made an engine and called it the forumla atlantic.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 18:57

I visited Jaime Aislabie in New Zealand in 1998 - He builds very good Formula Atlantic engines - and he said the best he ever got (up to that point) was 242hp.

Is that flywheel or rwhp Bill? For $55-$65k I would expect rwhp.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 20:33

Is that flywheel or rwhp Bill? For $55-$65k I would expect rwhp.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Flywheel.
However, the gearbox they use doesn't lose a lot of power so I'd guess a good 220 odd at the wheels.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Bill. 1 more question, average drivetrain loss in a 'normal' car i.e. road/no fancy g'box or diff setup? 20%?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spending all that money for only that much horse power must be depressing.

The things people do to be competitive..........
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I asked such a stupid Q as I didnt know what forumla atlantic was, stupid me, now I do.
At the time I thought Forumla Atlantic was the term to a race-bred 4age by some toyota tuning company for a specific race category.... now I know what it is lmao... I had it kinda backwards
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 23:21

Thanks for that Bill. 1 more question, average drivetrain loss in a 'normal' car i.e. road/no fancy g'box or diff setup? 20%?

A typical RWD car would be between 20% - 25% I think.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

$65k usd ? thats just stupid if its true. Id expect a lot more power atw for that price. Although As bill mentioned 240hp is pretty much the limit of these things that Ive seen.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a bit of a joke realy the power output , lets look at say the history of the b series ford engines , be it lotus or say the late cosworth engines . The f2 1968 brabham which is owned by the Penrite oil company which is used in the historic racing here . That has one , i don't know which series since there was so many , bg be bd etc etc , lotus non hart headed 1.6 b series engines which runs the 45 webers 8v valve head unlike the hart 16v 48 webered engines . It revs to 9000rpm has 210-212 at the flywheel and due to the dated hewland transmission of the time has a loss back to 180 ish at the wheels . The hart head 16v version using the 48 webers has a power span of 8500 to 11000 rpm and where meant to have 240ish or more at the flywheel .

The designs of these earlier engines change continuously . There tried everything from different valve angles , yes cams in different locations , even different intake to exhaust side . Manifolds made into the heads , and all number of port designs . But the real limiting factor why these engines didn't make 250hp was the materials available to them at the time , there valves where too heavy and required long guides to control the valve from sticking . Due to the high air speed oscillation would stick the value in the guide and bang would follow if the engine was driven passed a limit . If they had the technology of today 250hp would have easily been had by them .

So is the atlantic 240hp just bullshit , or is this the limit of the 4age head design , block design , valve angle , stroke which is by far the latest advance in F1 engines after pneumatic valve operation . I would think that developing the same engine year after year would would surely hit a limit which there is no getting passed . So what is it really 240hp for the 4age after all it is based on a mass production engine after all .
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Sun, 30 January 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im surprised bill hasnt said this yet.

building a racing engine is not soley about horsepower.

its all about compromise. putting the healthy spread of torque where you want it, or building it to run through the gears as fast as possible (under certain loads) etc all compromising the HP.

when someone is serious about forking over 65k they are thinking of much more than just how much HP it get.

so dont gauge the quality of the engine (or bang for buck) by one thing alone.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You also can't expect to get bang for your buck from a NA engine that will compare in any way to forced induction.

I'm not saying aither one is bad but people see forced induction power outputs skyrocketing and expect this to happen for NA as well. It's just not feasable. There are companies out making more advanced and efficient compressors all the time. These can be used in conjunction with basically all of the NA based improvements that are happening. There isn't anyone working on increasing the atmospheric pressure of the planet though as far as I can tell so NA is never going to make the same improvements as forced.

A good NA engine is a delight to drive though.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 09:48

So is the atlantic 240hp just bullshit , or is this the limit of the 4age head design , block design , valve angle ,

It's basically a limit because they have to use a specific cam, inlet manifold, etc. The head could also be a lot better.
If you got everything right, with the same revs you could be up to around 300hp no probs I reckon.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 13:33

with the same revs you could be up to around 300hp no probs I reckon.

That sounds more on the money. What cam specs do they run? And the inlet is restricted?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 13:35

Bill Sherwood wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 13:33

with the same revs you could be up to around 300hp no probs I reckon.

That sounds more on the money. What cam specs do they run? And the inlet is restricted?

I don't have them handy, but I think they're straight from the TRD catalogue and the inlet is also a TRD part.
It's too long, and that's one reason why they're down a bit on power.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool. Thanks for the info Bill.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting that they dont run a electric water pump setup to alleviate (spelling?) some power.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon 240hp is pretty bloody spectacular for an NA 4AGE, I get a little bit more than from mine but that's with 24psi being pumped into it with a turbo! These engines obviously rev a shitload more, but there's another constraint on them, the (near?) factory bore & stroke. Getting 10000+rpm out of one is also pretty impressive.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2005 12:44]

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4age atlantic by Hasselgren Mon, 31 January 2005 13:45 Go to previous message

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2005 14:46]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where can I buy these little fastener/screw things?
Next Topic:great all toyota racing parts site
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 22:22:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010071039199829 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.