Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Tyre Choice?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 10:55 Go to next message
Well after buying my now pride and joy MA61, 3 weeks on she needs some new rears. The previous owner ran some expsive Dunlop FM901's bald but luckily the fronts are still top nick. So after doing some searching for some 235/45/17 that wont cost me the earth i've came down to 2 different tyres. the Falken ZE326's http://www.falken.com.au/passanger.html for $210 each or the Firestone SZ50 http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/t reads/sz50.asp for $176 each on sale. I'm nudging towards the Firestones for the price and the directional tread on them as i only need them for the rear 2. Anyone had any experiences with these tyres or recomment others?
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the Firestones on the back of the Celica. 215/60R15's. Even though they are nearly worn out, they shit all over the front Dunlop Super Ducaros. MOTOR's tyre test also rated them very well. For that price, I might even have to check them out for my new tyres instead of my G3's Smile
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers, thnx
I got given a price of about 280 i think for the G3's! But they'd be worth it and 300+ for the range above them. if only money grew on trees Rolling Eyes
I'd also been told the cheap 'round $200 dunlops were crap and shown one where it was spliting on the sidewalls, scary stuff
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Dunlops just suck, car is severely lacking in front-end grip. Can't wait till the other car is on the road with new wheels and tyres.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIII's suck balls. For the price, buy some Yokohama AO32R's.

I describe myself as an "enthusiastic" driver. With only 19000km's of this sort of driving (no burn-outs) my tyres, all round, were bald.

Plus, the car didn't really need that much grip. It was such a waste of money. My current Yokohama A539's were cheap and are only 10% less grippy than the GIII's. They... make the driving experience seem more 'lively'?

I have Falken Ziex tyres too (on a Datsun and then Corolla). They're not bad either. Good grip and good life.

My mate has Firestones, and he reccommends them, but says the wear rate is bad.

Make your own mind tho.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 22:08

I describe myself as an "enthusiastic" driver. With only 19000km's of this sort of driving (no burn-outs) my tyres, all round, were bald.

WTF are you doing to them!? I would describe my driving as the same, and my Potenza RE711's (which are almost identical to G3's) lasted a SHITLOAD longer than that. Closer to 35-40k and they only were removed because I wore the edges too far down on one end.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have yokohama A509's 225/60R14 on my MA61. They have a low wear rating, but they feel great in the wet, heaps of grip on most road surfaces and don't let go during hard cornering and braking.

The tyres are legal for car, fit neatly on the factory rims without much bulge. I'd have to go out and check if the tread pattern is directional, but the tyres are sided for left and right side.

There's not too many A509s left as they've been superceded but are a good product - the current yokahama product is a step up in price

i got 4 tyres for a little over $620 fitted and aligned.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 January 2005 06:35]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Fri, 28 January 2005 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got Firestones 235/60/R14's put on the rears yesterday on my MA61 and so far they're proving to be grippy as hell. Can't shake the back lose under full boost in the dry, and in the wet its proving to be difficult too. Good thing on some respects, but gets kinda boring when the car goes straight all the time.

Yian
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Sat, 29 January 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thnx for all the response guys

Yian, thats awsome to hear that the firestone are 'grippy as all hell' becuase thats what i am looking for as im hopeing to do some track work soon and should be able to hold some 'enthusiastic' driving on roads. What particular model are your firestone? the same as what im looking at the SZ50's?

I have heard that the GIII's are grippy as but do have a very high wear-rate, something to do with the wide tread or soemthing Confused

the Yoki A509's sound like i need to do some more researching on them
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Tyre Choice? Sat, 29 January 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 29 January 2005 01:12

Fr3aK wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 22:08

WTF are you doing to them!? I would describe my driving as the same, and my Potenza RE711's (which are almost identical to G3's) lasted a SHITLOAD longer than that. Closer to 35-40k and they only were removed because I wore the edges too far down on one end.

HahaHA! You're not trying hard enough. Plus they were on a 1450kg V6 Vienta.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Sat, 29 January 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 195/65R/14's Olympic Sprinters on my Camry there a bloody good tyre. I had a set on my WB ute as well when I had that. fuck my tyres sound small now
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Sat, 29 January 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firestone F-660 235/60R14s.. I used to have Dunlop Monza 215/60R14s at the rear but I could light them up in second on a straight line in the dry. Didn't realise such a small difference in tyre size would make a difference in grip.

Not sure about them withstanding to track abuse though. For the price of those Firestones they're definitely worth it for 'enthusiastic' road use I reckon.

Yian
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Sat, 29 January 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 22:14

The Dunlops just suck, car is severely lacking in front-end grip. Can't wait till the other car is on the road with new wheels and tyres.

i have to say my dunlops are WELL grippy(dunlop FM901's.. so the more expensive stuff) and great tyres
and they have now lasted a year and 2 months, 8 of those months with me spinning the shit out of them.
when we went for a run around mt mee(back in my 1g geu days) id say my car was holding the road with the best.
ive put these tyres through there paces and Id give them the thumbs up any day, and when it comes to it.. im going to get their replacements(DIREZZA DZ101 )
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha yeah, FM901's are good, these suck the massive dong Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and what does that tell you?, stop buying scrap heap tyres Smile
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 29 January 2005 18:58

i have to say my dunlops are WELL grippy(dunlop FM901's.. so the more expensive stuff) and great tyres

Yeh i've got FM901's on the front (dam she handles) atm and on the rears but they're bald...

I'll have to have a look at those Firestone F-660's they sound like a dam good tyre. The guys down at Bob Jane yesturday nearly convinced me to buy the Falkens ZE326's right their on the spot, dam good salesman they were. Dropped the price down to $195 a tyre and told me the Firestone SZ50's wear out on the edges first still leaving 3-4mm of tread in the middle.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 09:29

and what does that tell you?, stop buying scrap heap tyres Smile

They were on the XX when I got it.

negative boost wrote on Sun, 30 January 2005 11:47

Firestone SZ50's wear out on the edges first still leaving 3-4mm of tread in the middle.

Thats a load of crap, my RE711's did that because of the way I drove the car. The SZ50's on my car now are almost worn right down and they are even as.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any uneven wear on a tyre would be to do with suspension and in that case overinflation maybe?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of hand underinflation, overloading, overinflation,suspension, wheel aligment,evcessive braking are just some things that cause tyre wear. I beleve justcallmefrank about why the edges wore out first, as he probablly was flying around corners, exscessive speed while cornering will cause this kind of wear,If he wasn't driving like this and this kinda wear happened he has either a poor suspension set up or is in bad need of a wheel aligment. It has NOTHING to do with the tyres design
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, definetly my treatment of the tyres. Not having room on residential streets to balance the car around corners means I was utilising tyre grip to counter understeer through 90 degree turns Smile
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Crikey, what are you guys doing to your tyres? I get 60k kms out of a set of tyres. Maybe I'm just "Mr Gentle" Smile

seeyuzz
river
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stupidity was how I stuff the el cheapo tyres that where on the Camry when I first got it, (some brand I never heard of before) but the cheap tyres where shit in the wet. scince I've had Olympic Sprinters on mine, the car doesn't seem too spin when taking of normally in the wet anymore and know longer has fuck all grip in the wet. that was scarry that. I look after the tyres I have now because they seem too do the job for me.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Tyre Choice? Sun, 30 January 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had Dunlop NCT5's there a good tyre, but now i have Pirelli P-zeros on the front, and the car drives like on rails in wet and dry. Before the rims i had Dunlop Eagle GA and they were crap, they had to be burnt Very Happy .
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/290000-290999/290592_6.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 30 January 2005 22:30]

negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Mon, 31 January 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank im taking it your SZ50's are pretty dam grippy? I'm tempted to step outside the circle and buy those Falken's that im looking at but alot of people have said that the SZ50's are a great tyre! Well i'll have a desicion 2moro and then tell ya'll if they're any good or not
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Mon, 31 January 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have found the GIII's to be really good...

Then again, I buy tyres to use them, not keep them for as long as possible!!
torque
Regular

May 2003
Re: Tyre Choice? Mon, 31 January 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the words of Beau..

"some people just don't deserve tyres.." *sniff*

hehe Laughing

I loved that add!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Mon, 31 January 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative boost wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 11:57

justcallmefrank im taking it your SZ50's are pretty dam grippy? I'm tempted to step outside the circle and buy those Falken's that im looking at but alot of people have said that the SZ50's are a great tyre! Well i'll have a desicion 2moro and then tell ya'll if they're any good or not

They hang on a shitload better than the Dunlops even though they're much older and much further worn down. MOTOR has a review of them a while back, they were second on Bang For Buck, and actually came out overall pretty well considering their price.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Mon, 31 January 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then what was first bang for your buck?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tyre Choice? Tue, 01 February 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the Hankook Ventus tyres, but I can't remember which one.
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: Tyre Choice? Thu, 03 February 2005 04:59 Go to previous message
Well i've settled one the Firestone SZ50's got them fitted earlier today. And they're not a bad tyre at all, its been raining down her so havnt had the opportunity to punt it yet but these tyres feel promising even in the wet. Cant wait till i break them in a little more and have some dry time with them! I'm expecting them to hang on like nothing else!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze specs
Next Topic:Opinions/suggestions please on Tyres for AE92 195/50/15
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 27 11:02:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096681118011475 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.