Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Mon, 31 January 2005 11:01 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I've been through everything, and mine doesn't seem to follow the same pattern as anyone elses, so I'm starting a new thread.

I've read through just about all the threads that came up in the search function about these things. As most of you know, I have a GA61 Celica XX (Supra) which now has a running 1GGTE. It also has nothing happening on the digital dash tacho-wise.

I've plugged the 1G- wire into the dash, no love. There is definetly signal though.

Aftermarket tacho I have reads perfectly through the same wiring. I actually wired the 1GGTE dash plug into the XX one, then tapped into the signal wire from the back of the dash. This works, so obviously it's not a wiring issue. It's not going to tell me anything about the signal, but my multimeter registers a voltage that rises and falls with revs, so its there.

By this I've established there is definetly *some* signal. I've tried connecting dedicated signal, earth and power wires to the dash to rule out any faulty connections, and they didn't remedy the situation at all.

Most other people when they're connecting the tacho up seem to be getting problems where the tacho plays up or reads random garbage, not like mine where I get nothing at all.

Norbie, this is directed at you but anyone can answer, what happened when you connected yours without the booster, did you just get the first LED lighting up on the tacho?

How can I establish whether or not I need a tacho booster? What other problems could it be?

Any ideas and suggestions would be great, it's been playing on my mind all day, and me being stubborn with shit like this, it'll remain that way until I get it sorted.

Oh, and one last thing, car originally had a 1GEU and with that engine the tacho was working perfectly.

Cheers,
Nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Tue, 01 February 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan,

When mine was running without a tacho booster, it worked, but only showed 1/2 revs (or similar). The wire appears to be taken from one that is spliced directly from the ignition module, but that didn't work when I hooked up the tacho booster, but it all worked fine (well the signal in test mode did as it was meant to for the sixworks booster) when I hooked up a different wire (there was another thread where Norbs and BlackSupra also contributed.

Hope that helps ....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Tue, 01 February 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to go try tapping into the other wires like Hydra did so I can rule out my tacho being a problem.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Tue, 01 February 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

JCMF,

Mine was the same when I tried running a signal from either the Haltech pr 1JZ. Aftermarket guages worked fine - Yota tacho just expects a screwing, wavey signal.

I've now got a tacho-booster and am getting a reading up to 3400rpm - which probably indicates either a malfunction with the booster or my amature wiring effort.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Tue, 01 February 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's annoying huh Smile

Don't tacho's work on a square wave? Maybe it's just the signal strength that isnt strong enough... hence the need for a booster?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Tue, 01 February 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

As everyone should know by now, I am clueless when it comes to sparky stuff. However, I think that the Supra tachos are looking for a rare/exotic type wave (could be square - but with different peak/trough values). Definitely not signal strength. I couldn't get anything happening from 1J OR ECU, but could get aftermarket tachos reading perfectly without any boosting.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Tue, 01 February 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... Maybe it's time to look into something a little more on the custom side Wink

I don't wanna get rid of my old school analogue cluster though!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Tue, 01 February 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh, I'd say a booster should fix these problems. Plugging into those other wires I got signal no problems, least I know my tacho works.
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Wed, 02 February 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm,
time to whack the CRO on the coil -ve line (IIR this is what drives our tachos when the stock engine is in place) & see what it looks like. When (?) the 1J goes in, this is a problem I'm going to have to solve as well.
I'll post back what I find.

Regards

Peter
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Tacho/Tacho Booster Questions/Problems Wed, 02 February 2005 09:18 Go to previous message
Got a oscilloscope I can borrow? Or you can come to the workshop and hook up? Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Caliper rebuild ?tech article?
Next Topic:4AGTE...what computer?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 00:23:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047910213470459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.