Toymods » General Car Talk » TA22 GT survivor list in Oz

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 30 January 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard that the rotary one has been through numerous engine conversions,from the rotor back to 2tg and then back to rotary again,,unfortunately its tubbed and the interior was thrashed so getting it back to original specs would be a pain in the arse,anyways have to ask Mick, im sure he will pick up on this thread soon..Does anyone know how many ST's came over? Id like to know how rare mine is Confused

Also has anyone looked into the price of importing one from Japan?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/riceburna73/celica01.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 30 January 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i can tell you my old GTV is up the road ,RIVER has the pics also my freind has a export GT from nz and richard bought a GT from my friend its a jap frt 1 like RIVERS again but its 2TG ,will try to get pics of the green GT from nz also about 50 ST celicas were bought in as privite imports mainly throught New Guinea
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 30 January 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did NZ get the GT's or even ST's as official imports?
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 31 January 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Information on these car has been a real pain in the A. Has anyone got photos showing orininal cars interior and engine bay? Simon sent me some photo's of the interior af a Jap spec GT that had cloth like seats!! Blew me away. As i have to re do my interior anyway i want to make sure i get it right.
Ashley
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 31 January 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/riceburna73/gtcel.jpg

there you go,ill find more for you soon..
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 31 January 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The pictures Simon showed me had those holes in the seats as well. I thought all GT's had the silver dash cluster and console?
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 31 January 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that could be a gtv,sorry
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 31 January 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah if you notice the door trim thats a 72 /73 model .74 had a brown stip running along it
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 31 January 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TA22 GT was mostly with the silver dash and console, but I think you could also get black and a couple of other colours as options. I'll see what other pics I have.
My TA22 GT owners manual from 74 has the fabric seats as you know, but it doesn't have the holes in them. From memory the outer part of the seat was vinyl and the inner part was knitted fabric.
It seems that the 74 GTV had the seats with the holes. The GTV was made more for performance and less for luxury. Eg Power windows, ok monitor etc etc was stock on the jap GT and optional on the GTV.

Cheers,
Simon
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 01 February 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, it's not a GT but hopefully it's different enought that someone might know it. A White '74 LT 22 with the wing mirrors mounted on the front fender that was bought in Thailand? It was bought from the factory by my dad back in '74 (even got a photo that made it into the Thai newspaper (first Westener to buy a Celica in the country).

He then drove it back in to Canberra (with the help of some ferries), and promptly sold it in '76. I've tried to track it down via the rego people but he doesn't have a copy of the VIN number or anything so that was a dead end.

So hopefully everyone that reads this thread will go and have a look for some original holes or bog marks in their front fender. If you find some We Need To Talk!
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 01 February 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm sounds like Canberra is good for GT celica action
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 01 February 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
p/windows and LSD ,air con were options on the GT the gtv had the LSD and aircon as std but p/windows were optioned on both models the air vents in the seats were in the gt/v trim the insert were a kind of vinyl,like meshe tubes inter tying to gether ,the door trims were the same for ST and gts only the ET and LT had the basic door trims
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 01 February 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate bought an RA28 for $1200 only to realise 1 week later it was a GT... 18RG the whole kit-kaboodel!! and now it is now one of the best in Tas and Only !!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 01 February 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

TRD_Supra wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 16:22

my mate bought an RA28 for $1200 only to realise 1 week later it was a GT... 18RG the whole kit-kaboodel!! and now it is now one of the best in Tas and Only !!

It took him a week to realise this? Rolling Eyes

seeyuzz
river
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 01 February 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Pics please
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 01 February 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 17:27

Hi,

It took him a week to realise this? Rolling Eyes

seeyuzz
river

Laughing
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 02 February 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 18:38

Pics please

Yes... Pics please, inside and out. and the ID code on the build plate.
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 03 February 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the count up to for the GT's?
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 03 February 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well...the parts of 1 are on Simon's celica but other than that... i think it is 0 for the TA22 (ones imported by Toyota).

Then there is yours .... and thats about it I think unfortunately.
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 03 February 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering the amount of Gt parts that people have on their Celica's you would think that there would be a lot more around. I'm off to NZ this week, going to look for parts, don't know what I will found as they don't seem to be much in their papers or web sites.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 03 February 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You seem to be excluding the Rotary TA22 GT that was for sale recently??
That accounts for 2 of the 5 or 6 from Toyota. Was the rotary GT privately imported?
then theres the GT in Tassie and the crashed GT in Canberra. Thats getting close isn't it?

Simon
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Thu, 03 February 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silly75gt wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 21:48

Considering the amount of Gt parts that people have on their Celica's you would think that there would be a lot more around. I'm off to NZ this week, going to look for parts, don't know what I will found as they don't seem to be much in their papers or web sites.

most of these parts have been imported or purchased from toyota when they still sold them
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 04 February 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22 GT wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 23:15

You seem to be excluding the Rotary TA22 GT that was for sale recently??
That accounts for 2 of the 5 or 6 from Toyota. Was the rotary GT privately imported?
then theres the GT in Tassie and the crashed GT in Canberra. Thats getting close isn't it?

Simon

sorry...my bad Embarassed
sv_i
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 06 February 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the owner of the rotary GT is on www.ausrotary.com

nice bloke, but dead set into rotaries last time I spoke to him and there was no way it was going to be converted back to piston power. (he bought it like that)

He lives near a friend of mine who has a newly back on the road dark metallic blue TA22 early model with a twin cam 2TG with webers. He's too lazy to join toymods and put pics up though!
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 09 February 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any photo's of GT interior's yet?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 09 February 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I can do some pics of the interior of my car. It's an RA25 GT, but I think it's almost the same, except the RA25 GT steering wheel is different to the TA22. Has the same gauge layout, radio placement, console and all of that - same as the TA22. Being a 1973 model it has the earlier, smaller OK Monitor on the roof. Also, only has 2 power window switches on the drivers door instead of 4.

If you're interested let me know.

seeyuzz
river
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 13 February 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classic Celica's has a GT TA22 72 listed for sale!!!! Haven't seen pics yet, he is after $8000. Has done some of the restoration work.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sun, 13 February 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I called the guy selling the GT today. Its not one of the 6 from Toyota and at this stage it seems to be a GT privately imported a fair few years ago.
It sounds like a heap of $$ was spent on the body work, but a few things don't quite add up. Eg he said it orignally had a 2T engine when he got it, why would you take the 2TG out??

Also, most of the interior is missing. I'm hoping to get a pic of the compliance plate to see exactly what it is. We just sold Traceys Celica, so not really in the market for another TA22 at the moment.

Anyway, its for sale on the forum of my site.

Cheers,
Simon
http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/celica.htm
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 18 February 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Okay, I took some pics of the inside of the old girl. I got the dash, air-con unit, rear section (my spare sits vertically inside the car, which i think is different to the RA28), centre console. I forgot to do the OK Monitor, but I'll do that later tonight.

Damn the flash and quality of the camera, it makes the inside look shabbeir than what it is. Also, don't mind the dust and other shit it picked up 'cos I haven't cleaned the inside for a couple of months. Hehehe also don't mind the shit in the garage. I took the pics this arvo and the garage is chokka full of shit and it all comes out so nicely. Damn this camera!

I'm on 56K so I'll have to reduce the pics if you want them.

PM me with your email addy if you want any of these interior GT Celica shots. Remember though, this is an RA25 so it's very similar to the TA22, not the RA23/28.

seeyuzz
river
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 18 February 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
River,
Send me the pics and I'll add them to my gallery with the other pics of your car. classic_celica@yahoo.com.au

http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/river.htm

Cya,
Simon
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 22 February 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Love the photo showing the differant celica's. Does anyone have the same for acc to go in the different level cars. I know someone listed the dirrerances befor but these old brochures are the best.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 22 February 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I have an old brochure for the 1975 JDM Celica range (TA22/TA27?RA25) with the various models and interior shots. I scanned it a while ago and put it on the Classic Celica site.

Here's the link to the scans...

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?set_albu mName=jdmcelicas&op=modload&name=gallery&a mp;file=index&include=view_album.php

I had a bit of a problem with Photopaint, and I hope to have this fixed (ie reloaded, registry clean-up, etc) soon and then I can resize the interior shots of my car for you. That's why there's been a delay in getting the pics out. Take note, my interior shots aren't done as professionally as the Celica brochure, plus my car is 32 years old now so it ain't "brand spanking new". Finally, mine is the 1973 model and it has the smaller OK-Monitor whereas the 1975 range had the larger one.

seeyuzz
river
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 22 February 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perfect.......
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 22 February 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to go off on a tangent, but what engine did the ET Celica come with?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 22 February 2005 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The ET had the 1400cc T-engine. The 1600cc engine was the 2T.

I'd hazzard a guess that the ET Celica could possibly be the rarest of them all.

seeyuzz
river
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 23 February 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a 'T' Laughing I'll never think bad of the 2T ever again
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 23 February 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the very early ET Celicas in Japan even had front drum brakes.
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 03 May 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anymore photo's of TA22 GT interiors? Can anyone discribe what the fabric in the centre of the seat is?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 03 May 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I replied but dunno what happened to it?!?

Anyway, I'll ry again...

The seat has some nylon sort of mesh insert on the seat bottom and up the centre of the seat back. There are 6 small metal insert breather holes on the seat bottom and the lower back area.

The rest of the seat is, in my case, thick black vinyl or maybe leather. The rear of the front seats has the Celica dragon emblem embossed into them, as does the side rear panel next to the rear seats.

I got my digi camera back now so I can take some pics if you want. However, bear in mind this is an RA25 GT and not a TA22 GT - though the '25 was built on the same chassis and has the same cockpit/gauge layout as the TA22. Sort of like a TA22 liftback I guess - with the long-nose JDM TA22 bonnet.

seeyuzz
river
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 03 May 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently a bloke I know owns 2 bathurst celicas. I have no idea how rare or valuable they are. I'd say he would tho!
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 03 May 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just picked up a RA28 now i reckon this guy mus have got hold of a wrecked GT version because he has a part i have never come across yet. It has GT dash, GT grill the twin cam with all factory accelrator set up, working A/C and the complete air cleaner setup including the factory air cleaner which mounts in the corner behind the head light never seen one only in a photo of a GT seen plenty of the adaptor on the carbies but never the air cleaner box. Couldn't ever buy a air filter for it has to be imported from japan. If anyone else has seen one in australia let me know I want to now where he gets his air filters from.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Tue, 03 May 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

ra_28 wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 08:30

I just picked up a RA28 now i reckon this guy mus have got hold of a wrecked GT version because he has a part i have never come across yet. It has GT dash, GT grill the twin cam with all factory accelrator set up, working A/C and the complete air cleaner setup including the factory air cleaner which mounts in the corner behind the head light never seen one only in a photo of a GT seen plenty of the adaptor on the carbies but never the air cleaner box. Couldn't ever buy a air filter for it has to be imported from japan. If anyone else has seen one in australia let me know I want to now where he gets his air filters from.

Sounds like a nice set-up you bought. The a/c is a bonus 'cos there's not too many bona-fide 18RG factory a/c running around. Be careful if you need to get the water pump replaced 'cos it's a bitch to get them with dual pulleys.

Sounds like it has the factory Toyota airbox that covers the carbs and runs, via a large flexible rubber pipe, to the circular intake unit. You can still get those filters from Toyota and I beleive you can get similar ones from most autoshops. I don't think those filters are that uncommon.

GT dash? Other than the speedo going to 220k/hr, I didn't think there was any diff between the GT and other models. However, I speak from TA22/RA25 experience and do not know if this is the case with the RA28. The JDM dash also had the night-light switch on the hazard button. You turn the hazard lights to activate the left, right or both-sides night lights - and you pull it (as per normal) for hazard light operations. This is a JDM-specific thing and was on all the JDM models - but wasn't on the Aussie models.

Have you got the OK-Monitor roof-mounted warning light panel? These were on the GT and maybe (I'm not sure) the ST models.

In any event, it sounds like a nice buy, with a rare engine/air filter/ac set-up and some other nice GT bits. Have you got the rear GT badge also? If so, keep an eye on it 'cos they're very take-able and are hard to replace if it gets stolen.

Oh... pics!!!! I'm sure we'd all like to see some pics.

seeyuzz
river
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 04 May 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to sure why but i see alot of the old ta22's around. I see at least 3 parked on my way to work every day. Also used to work at a pub with a girl that owed an LT that was in need of some tlc but still ran very hard. Sometimes heading towards ipswich on the ipswich motorway i see a yellow old school celica, not to sure what type or model but its very very nice, its yellow in color has personal plates 'TRD 23' or 43 or somthing like that. This is all in the south east Queensland area.
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Fri, 06 May 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 16:45

Hi,

Anyway, I'll ry again...

The seat has some nylon sort of mesh insert on the seat bottom and up the centre of the seat back. There are 6 small metal insert breather holes on the seat bottom and the lower back area.

The rest of the seat is, in my case, thick black vinyl or maybe leather. The rear of the front seats has the Celica dragon emblem embossed into them, as does the side rear panel next to the rear seats.

I got my digi camera back now so I can take some pics if you want. However, bear in mind this is an RA25 GT and not a TA22 GT - though the '25 was built on the same chassis and has the same cockpit/gauge layout as the TA22. Sort of like a TA22 liftback I guess - with the long-nose JDM TA22 bonnet.

seeyuzz
river

This nylon mesh insert in the seat - is it the same as what is in the normal seats except that the stitching goes across instead of up and down? Or is completely differant again? Can you provide close up pic's. Would be greatly appreciated.
silly75gt
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Sat, 14 May 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silly75gt wrote on Fri, 06 May 2005 20:46

river wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 16:45

Hi,

Anyway, I'll ry again...

seeyuzz
river

This nylon mesh insert in the seat - is it the same as what is in the normal seats except that the stitching goes across instead of up and down? Or is completely differant again? Can you provide close up pic's. Would be greatly appreciated.

TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Mon, 18 July 2005 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit slow on the reply fellas.. just came across the tread

im the owner of the late gt celica which is the infamous tubbed rotary celica everyone loves to hate

to answer someones previous post, the guy did end up selling the car in bits. he was selling the shell itself for $600.
but i ended up getting the car and motor.

i was very excited when i saw the GT plate in the engine bay. previous owner didnt know it was a gt.

i was a little sad tho knowing how rare these cars really r.

by the time i got it, the seats door trims/electric windows and most of the cluster had gone...

i guess it could always be a GT again, but id have to find a pretty good engineer to undo tubs hehe...
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 20 July 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As mentioned earlier in the thread, there does seem to be an orange TA22 GT in Canberra. It also seems to be the guys daily driver. I haven't had a real close look, but I know exactly where the dude parks it most days. Many a time I've thought about sticking a note under his windscreen wiper saying "sell me your car and you can have my soul". Maybe I should stick a note saying "is this a genuine GT?"
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 20 July 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tricky wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 16:00

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there does seem to be an orange TA22 GT in Canberra. It also seems to be the guys daily driver. I haven't had a real close look, but I know exactly where the dude parks it most days. Many a time I've thought about sticking a note under his windscreen wiper saying "sell me your car and you can have my soul". Maybe I should stick a note saying "is this a genuine GT?"

If it has hotwires, its an LT with 2TG and GT grill. Oh and its a girl that owns it...not a guy!
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: TA22 GT survivor list in Oz Wed, 20 July 2005 11:54 Go to previous message
Crying or Very Sad that's just too tricky for me. I've never actually seen the driver, nor have I actually seen the wheels, but the paint isn't in such good condition.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:honda accords
Next Topic:AE82 dedicated thead (everyone else has one)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:48:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009052038192749 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.