Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
suspension question Tue, 01 February 2005 23:22 Go to next message
wat will rally suspension do to my car wen goin fast around corners corners??? could my car roll ova?? would this make it "driftable" to say the least??

(its a ta22 with a 2tgeu, big injectors and a haltech ecu)

thanx

[Updated on: Tue, 01 February 2005 23:23]

Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: suspension question Wed, 02 February 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno about driftable but 'rally tuned' suspension will probably be uncomfortable and noisy and not a lot of fun on bumpy bitumen roads for a daily driver.

body roll in cornering will be reduced - if you approach them correctly.

you'll have less body roll in the car - but ability to roll the car also depends greatly on driver ability (or lack thereof).

you may find the uber-stiffness combined with improper tyre camber/castor/alignment setting results in poorer grip in hard cornering.

also - is the letter H on your keyboard broken? there seems to be a lot of wens and wots in your posts Wink
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: suspension question Wed, 02 February 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilcrash wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 10:22

(its a ta22 with a 2tgeu, big injectors and a Haltech ecu)

thanx

found a H Very Happy
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: suspension question Wed, 02 February 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i will type in gramatical english from now on just for charles to be able to read it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

so basically i should get rid of this seupension and go a bit lower and softer??
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: suspension question Wed, 02 February 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah.. much easier to read! Laughing Razz

if it was my car, i'd be aiming for something suited to winding, bitumen roads (like Mt Glorious).

seeing as you like enthusiastic driving (i've seen you flog the honda down the M1) i'd look at a lower ride, see if the shocks can be loosened off a bit and going for lower profile tyres.

You might find that with a lower ride, the shocks are a bit more comfortable? e.g. Wilbo's cresidda has improved markedlyfrom stock with lower springs, stiffer swaybar and stiffer shocks.

so.. change the springs, then start tweaking shock settings/valves.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: suspension question Wed, 02 February 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, 'rally suspension' is somewhat different to 'drift', 'racing' or 'sports' suspension (i use the terms in '' rather loosely as everyones opinion of what they are is lible to differ!).

It really depends on what you have planned for the car? Rally cars generally tend to go for much higher suspension travel, and a spring rate higher than normal, but generally somewhere in the middle ground of stock spring rates and tarmac racing spring rates (to my knowledge anyway, persons actually involved in rallying will no doubt have a greater understanding...).

Body roll isn't such an issue for rally drivers as gravel generally doesn't allow the generation of cornering G's to make it become important (they will start going sideways in most cases before that Smile). I'm guessing that body role will become evident on higher grip surfaces such as tarmac...

Due to the low level of traction offered by gravel swaybars generally are pretty useless as well to my understanding... (sway bars are good at controlling body role...?)

What I'm kinda getting to is that I don't think a rally setup will be fantastic on the road, and you could prbly go better paths Smile (unless you are making a rally car...). And I think the body role (high center of gravity, due to higher springs for more suspension stroke) would make drifting a bit of a non event (not to mention the spring rates being on the soft side...). Bear in mind tho, I haven't read a proper book on suspension geometry so I might be quite out of line (me puts it on list of things to do Smile)!

If your thinking you can get a set of rally springs cheap, I'd steer away from it Smile Why not (as charles suggested Smile get some lowered springs (heck they aren't that expensive!), new shocks to match them and some new bushes (lower control arms!) and then fine tune with swaybars? (maybe get a rear swaybar straight away, because I think TA22's don't have a rear swaybar from factory!!!!). Oh and good tyres can have a massive effect on handling!

(ps sorry for the essay!)

Cheers
Wilbo

poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: suspension question Wed, 02 February 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for drift suspension setup its estimated roughly 6kg springs at the front and 4.8 rears

www.club4ag.com have really i mean REALLY helpful tips for anything its like an internet bible for hachi's
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: suspension question Wed, 02 February 2005 08:05 Go to previous message
just to explain what i have done.

i bought a full rally car and am now puttin it on the road. it has the hole 2 inch lift, bigger engine, an so forth....

i wasnt sure if i could drive it ont h road but as u have explained i should get sum diffrent springs ect...

thanx
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 or S13? WHich is the better drift car?
Next Topic:Can anyone translate Japanese? SAFC II help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:46:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065710544586182 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.