Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ VVTI mods and problems

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Silver_r33
Occasional Poster

November 2004
icon1.gif  1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 02:53 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I have been looking around at where to take my JZX100 Chaser from here in terms of power output. I've already fitted a 3" exhaust from the turbo back with a separate wastegate pipe merging into the exhaust about half a metre from the turbo.

Basically i've got the next couple of upgrades lined up:

1) Adjustable exhaust cam gear
2) Blitz FMIC
3) PowerFC with hand controller
4) EBC (Blitz or similar)
5) CAI

I figure at the end of these i'll be hitting the limits of the fuel pump, injectors, AFM and turbo and be netting around 200-220rwkw. What do you guys think? Are there any 1jz specific parts which will limit power production around this level of modification?

Has anyone used a powerfc with an auto 1JZ? I know there is a model of powerfc specifically designed for the auto, but i'd like to hear any kind of experiences with it!

Also, i've noticed that the behaviour of the chaser is a little unpredictable. By that i mean that some times she feels *extremely* fast, and others she seems like she's only a little faster than the falcon/commodores around here. Is the (stockish) 1JZ sensititive to heat soak or similar which would cause this?

Oh, and what does everyone use for their oil (brand and viscosity)?

Sorry for the long post, i'm just a little cautious when it comes to modifying my baby! Thanks!!
  Send a private message to this user    
Silver_r33
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile Anyone?
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Information on the 1JZ-GTE VVTi, is fairly limited, but from my experience and what I have heard:

220-230rwkw will be the limit on the turbo, and injectors.

A large FMIC wold be the go.

Your other mods would all help, to get you your 220rwkw.

Oils aint oils, synthetic 5W-40, eg Mobil, or Havoline.

What was the improvement in rwkw from the dump pipe mod? that is next on my list for the 1J.

regards Chuck.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a question to ask...
Why in Australia, can we only net 220RWKW on stock turbos and fuel pumps and injectors, yet over in Japan they are meant to be able to pull up and over 300RWKW on stock turbs etc?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have yet to put my 1J VVTi into the wife's Cressida yet:roll: but I believe that 220 would be relatively easy to extract, given the mods that you have mentioned.

The turbo looks to be quite small (comp wheel and turbine) and also looks to have a ceramic turbine - so one would need to be careful not to over-speed the turbo.

I have not heard of an Apexi power FC that does auto - I would like to know more about it though (as this was the preferred choice of ECU for me) other than that there is the Trust emanage (which does auto).

buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are both the Apexi and emanage able to control VVTi?
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the auto controller part...

If I can get the correct technical details, and what I'm doing works out... You won't need to worry abuot piggy backs any more... Very Happy
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buccy wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 18:45

Are both the Apexi and emanage able to control VVTi?

I am led believe that they are both able to control the VVTi
buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Kyosho what is it your working on? Now for the million dollar question, where would you buy a Power FC or Emanage for a JZX100?
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyosho wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 18:13

I have a question to ask...
Why in Australia, can we only net 220RWKW on stock turbos and fuel pumps and injectors, yet over in Japan they are meant to be able to pull up and over 300RWKW on stock turbs etc?

Please show me where they are getting 300rwkw with stock turbos. I'm sure you'll make every 1JZ owner in the world happy with such info. I've never seen it done before. I know of several people with high flowed and steel wheeled CT12A turbos who still can't get 300rwkw.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buccy wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 19:24

Hey Kyosho what is it your working on? Now for the million dollar question, where would you buy a Power FC or Emanage for a JZX100?

I'm working on an Automatic Transmission Controller...
Basically unplug the wires off the original, and put them into this one... And it is fully programmable for shift points...

As for the power thing...

I may have mis understood that...

A quote taken from Zoom:

"What of the further development potential though? Having seen a couple of Australian Standard engined cars exlipse the 280RWKW mark easily, and several Japanese counterparts go over 100kilowatts more again, there is no doubting the potential of the 1J

In the actual article.. They DID change turbos, but the fuel system was left alone, intercooler changed, ECU changed...
So I will retract that statement of saying the stock turbos can push over 300KW...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
280rwkw on stock injectors? maybe possibly faint chance if they boost the fuel pressure.

best oil ever: penrite

hpr15 for your purposes.
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Friend of mine has a JZX100 Tourer V.

He is running a 3" zorst.
3" IC piping to a 600x300x75 FMIC
running 15psi he got 220rwkw (dyno'd).
No fuel or ECU mods.
And it's a 5spd.
mischief1
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver_r33 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 10:53

Also, i've noticed that the behaviour of the chaser is a little unpredictable. By that i mean that some times she feels *extremely* fast, and others she seems like she's only a little faster than the falcon/commodores around here. Is the (stockish) 1JZ sensititive to heat soak or similar which would cause this?

hey dude, i know what ya mean, whens the temps a bit hotter, mine doesnt seems to pull as well, compared to when its colder. I'm guessing a stock engine won't cope as well with the heat, as a decently set-up one, not thats it's rocket science to figure out Razz

i think my first proper mod will be a dump pipe, sounds like a fricken vacuum cleaner higher up the rev range Razz

also got plans for a pod filter i got sitting around, but if i put it in the stock position, it seems it might take i a bit of hot air, so i'm gonna have to make up some kind of shield for it, if anyones got ideas, bring em to the table Razz
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put the pod done in the guard, infront of the wheel, out of the engine bay.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Wed, 02 February 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the US some guys make close to 400rwhp on stock twin turbos (not vvti) but there dynos are stupid and don't have any relevance to us anyway.

yellorolla: you sure those things control vvti as from what I have read just about the only option was a big dollar Motec.

If the vvti is tuned like a twin turbo one I would:
1. get big FMIC and piping
2. Put it on a dyno and check power and A/F ratio
3. If required get a SAFC and take it back to the dyno to lean it out a bit.

If yours is auto it may be a bit harder to get 220rwkw but it will be faster than manual ones anyway Razz

*See my sig* Razz
Silver_r33
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Thu, 03 February 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

As for the PowerFC / Emanage, they can be purchased relatively cheaply from www.greenline.jp or www.nengun.com to suit the JZX100 / 1JZ VVTI with auto transmission. I believe it is a specialty unit produced by AP engineering.

I'm not 100% sure that the PowerFC will "control" the VVTI, but i am pretty certain it will allow it to function ala the stock ECU. Worst case scenario a inteceptor unit (like the Apexi vtech controller) could be used.

Chuck & Mischief1: I did the whole exhaust system in one go, so i can only describe the difference from the stock/compliance system to the full one - bloody amazing. Top end doesnt choke, and boost rose from 0.8 to 0.9 bar. Oh and it sounds a little angrier too Razz

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 1JZ VVTI mods and problems Thu, 03 February 2005 01:17 Go to previous message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 08:37

yellorolla: you sure those things control vvti as from what I have read just about the only option was a big dollar Motec.

I don't know about the Power FC but I would assume since they are sold as a direct replacement for the original ECU that can do all the things the original plus be programmable, it would work.

The Emanage is just a really advanced sensor bender so all it does is modify the way the original computer controls the engine, therefore anything the original computer could do before the emanage it should be able to do after.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine, GearBox and Diff on a 81 hilux 2wd
Next Topic:RA28 Front swaybar issues
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 22 11:57:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060122013092041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.