Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 07:16 Go to next message
what would cause the alternator (of a 4ac) to catch fire? the one with the wires connected to it that has to be screwed in...

the engine has been running for about 2months in the car and havent had to much problems... Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could of been a poorly connected wire, also known as a hot joint, this may cause a fire.
perhaps the bearings collapsed and caused it to heat up enough to set something alight.

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thing burnt it self off, when i put wat left of the wire on the other other end of wats left of the connection it makes a little heat or fire wat ever... would it be the alternator or other problem? atm im going to replace the alternator
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 18:36

the thing burnt it self off, when i put wat left of the wire on the other other end of wats left of the connection it makes a little heat or fire wat ever... would it be the alternator or other problem? atm im going to replace the alternator

this, combined with your lack of teraction at any time, makes me very scared to be on the road with you Razz

when you put what on what?
i think you should see an auto elec and get them to fix it properly perhaps? elec fires are always BAD.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the traction problem has been solved which also caused this problem Confused

anyways the thing is like half black so might as well get another one
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a few 4AC alternators if you need one
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was able to reconnect it, but the at that place it still gets very hot, is that normal?
http://www.geocities.com/rthy86/Pics/alternator.jpg

and yes im going to take it to a mech tomorrow, just wanna get an idea of wats happened so i the mech wont rip me off
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it might get a bit warm if it's pumping out maximum amperage - but i'd say it failed due to poor connection or something trying to weld itself between the bolt and he chassis.

maybe the alternator's stuffed? i'd be suspicious about any electrical component that starts melting plastic Shocked

has the alt light come on at all while engine was running?

is the battery in need of charge or looking like it's been overchared (warped plates, excessive deposition around air-exposed annodes, other insulation melted?)
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
half of the dash dont work, the car has been running fine, until now, only thing use power is the engine, lights and crap casset radio... and didnt notice anything wrong with the battery but ill get it check out tomorrows, might replace the alternator too
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup..

see that bolt? thats where the current comes out.. if that has earthed to the casing of the alternator.. it's fucked..

if it is just the wire that connects to it, and the bolt (PLUS IT"S (possibly) PLASTIC INSULATION INSID THE ALTERNATOR) is ok, then you might just need to rewire it..

if this wire goes to your starter motor wire, then i strongly suggest that you install a completely new wire direct from that bolt to the battery, and use something decent, like the Jaycar 8 gauge or 4 gauge wire... and maybe get an auto elec to crimp the ends for you (and maybe solder also)
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Thu, 03 February 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so theres to much power coming out from the alternator? thus cooking it self?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Fri, 04 February 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not likely. ask an auto elec. they are generally good for these things Wink
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: FIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY! alternator Fri, 04 February 2005 15:08 Go to previous message
well its all fixed now, replaced the dam thing
and was able to test out these sport tyres at the back, OMG SO MUCH GRIP! cant even do wheel spin @ 4000rpm on 1st in the rain!

so things looking up

cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:celica engines
Next Topic:what kinda turbo is this
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 15:35:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054910182952881 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.