Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
71corona
Newcomer

December 2004
Advice wanted for RT84 project Thu, 03 February 2005 07:28 Go to next message
Hey all, I've been lurking around for month or two so hopefully thats evident with the questions I'm gonna ask. Cool

Recently I bought a 1971 Toyota Corona RT84 with a 6R engine. Unfortunately there is not much information on the net on RT8x series Corona's but hopefully conversions will be relatively simple.

Here's a few pages I knocked up for the car (with pics):
http://www.cardomain.com/id/71corona

The car was NZ new so unfortunately their is little idenfication on the car itself. The plates say nothing about the axle etc. But what I do know is this:

6R 4cyl 1705cc SOHC engine
floorshift 4 speed gearbox - W40? likely i presume
4.111 differential - F series? any way to confirm?
disc brakes front, drum brakes rear, console mounted handbrake

After filling my head with alot of information on this forum and other sites, I think this is what I should do and would be the easiest solution:

convert to a 18RG (maybe test with an 18r first)
bolt on the W50 to the 18RG (or the W50 to the 6R in the meantime)

That alone should take me from ~100hp to ~140hp plus having the DOHC and five speed would be sweet.

Where I think things will get difficult is diff, brake and hub conversions. I want to have:
front and rear disk brakes
rack and pinion conversion w/ power steering
5x114.3pcd hubs
a strong diff that can take pretty much anything just incase I go for, dare i say, a rotary 13B turbo conversion in future years (save doing diff mods twice) and whether i should invest in LSD
overhaul the suspension

Would be great if I could have any suggestions, tips and information on the compatibility of the RT8x series Corona compared to cars in the same era or of the same model.

Also approximately what price should i expect to pay to get hold of a 18rg with a w50, and the other 18r variants - 18RGU, 18RGEU etc.

Thanks, hopefully there is some information out there. I'll be sticking around for it! Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2005 09:15]

Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Advice wanted for RT84 project Thu, 03 February 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee. I can't say I have ever seen a modified or even for that matter a tidy RT84.

I like your plans, the 1600 is one of the nicest looking cars of the era.

I reckon a 1GGTE would be the go for motivation though. I'm sure you'll be able to find a Hilux diff that will give you the strength and the stud pattern you're after. Do you know the width of your current diff that will help figure out what model of hilux to go for.
71corona
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Advice wanted for RT84 project Thu, 03 February 2005 09:14 Go to previous message
Joshstix wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 21:21

Gee. I can't say I have ever seen a modified or even for that matter a tidy RT84.

I like your plans, the 1600 is one of the nicest looking cars of the era.

True true. I was looking for a classic datsun to learn off. Found the closest Datsun-looking Toyota by chance lol. And you reminded me, the 12R engine is the 1600. This one's the 6R which is the 1700. Very Happy

Joshstix wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 21:21

I reckon a 1GGTE would be the go for motivation though. I'm sure you'll be able to find a Hilux diff that will give you the strength and the stud pattern you're after. Do you know the width of your current diff that will help figure out what model of hilux to go for.

Once again you've reminded me of something. This car gives me the shits driving it round in the wet. So I seriously want to give it new suspension with understeer and better grip. And powersteering would be good to.

I'm not sure if a 1G-GTE would fit! Thats an inline 6 right? Might be able to move the radiator forward with the grill removed but still, the thought is nice lol.

What's the best way to find out the width of the diff (very newbie question lol)? I've probably got the rear track figure in the car manual if that's the number I need? I want to make sure that I get the wheel offsets and diff lengths right first go so that I can fit the most common wheel designs. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:From auto to manual on a TA22??
Next Topic:twin t28's on a 1G GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 14:25:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005728006362915 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.