Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 03:23 Go to next message
i have only had the sprinter on the road for about a month now, and only have driven it in the rain 2 times, and the 2nd time was today

ANYWAYS it feels as if i get wheel spin on 1st and 2nd gears, in any rpm (starting from 800) range it just spins, is this normal or what? i can take of with out wheel spin but to get to 60 it will take about 30-40seconds Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah fronts are 195/60/r14 and my rears tyres are 185/75/r14 (got them like that) im ganna change all of em to 185/60/r14 would it help it?
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LSD buddy.

The answer to your problems Smile
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lsd ey, i have a feeling this is going to cost me Confused
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder how cars with some power cope in the rain Rolling Eyes or even utes with power Shocked

Quote:

oh yeah fronts are 195/60/r14 and my rears tyres are 185/75/r14 (got them like that) im ganna change all of em to 185/60/r14 would it help it?

Sounds like you are running taxi tyre specials, hard and plastic like. What brand are they, size doesn't mean a great deal.

I think the problem goes beyond simply installing an LSD........... Rolling Eyes

A friend of mine with a sprinter complained of similar problems..........I could tell you about it but I don't think you want to hear the answer.

Most intersections have oil deposits on the road from when cars pull up and leave a drip or two, so they will always be slippery spots.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2005 04:03]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LSD will help though!

Maybe get tyres rated for excellent wet and dry traction?

EDIT: remembered, eagle F1's are rated to pump 15L of water every 100m or something... thats pretty good I think!

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2005 04:38]

alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 14:31

LSD buddy.

HyDrA wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 15:37

LSD will help though!

Maybe get tyres rated for excellent wet and dry traction?

EDIT: remembered, eagle F1's are rated to pump 15L of water every 100m or something... thats pretty good I think!

From what i gather, he's only running a 4ac people!. I dont think power transfer is the problem

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2005 04:42]

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a simple solution for ya (Done it myself. Still doesn't keep my car on the road, but that's a tad extreme).

You can buy second hand 14" 225's that will cost fuck all and will be wide enough to grip on the back.

Second bit. Pull your diff center out and weld it up. Instant LSD for Approx $0...

easy..
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the traction problems that a 12 second car like stradlater experiences and the traction problems an XX second car like rthy experiences are caused by very different things.

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but the options fun all the same
hehe
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yeah, but the options fun all the same

Certainly is Very Happy

But I think if he locked the diff the next thread would be "Sprinter spinning around on me when cornering in the wet problems".

stradlater, you heading to WSID on the 16th? If so, we should have a run, our cars would be very close Smile
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 14:31

LSD buddy.

hehe... I was just mucken round.

Yeah, I reckon some grippy tires would do the trick.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in victoria mate, so no, I won't be going to wsid. However, I am waiting on getting a new diff and full spool center before running it again and breaking yet mroe bits.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Sprinter spinning around on me when cornering in the wet problems

i get that problem in the dry Confused

on 1st gear it spins stright, shift to 2nd (spinning) then the car starts to go sidewards Confused (NO CORNERS)

i guess the tyres would be the problem, as i got a set of wheels and tyres from the wreckers from whats left of a ra40 Confused
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use to struggle getting power down in the wet in my t-18 with the stock 3tc and some cheap tyres, and it was very loose around corners
now its putting down about twice the power it had then, and has some eagle F1's and the tractions gotta be twice as good as it was back in the day! F1's rule for the wet!
so yeah, buy some decent rubber, and in the mean time maybe dropping tyre pressure a little would help?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I'm in victoria mate, so no, I won't be going to wsid. However, I am waiting on getting a new diff and full spool center before running it again and breaking yet mroe bits.

Embarassed

I should have looked at your location hehehehe.

Good luck with hunting down an 11 second pass.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sprinter spinning around on me when cornering in the wet problems

i get that problem in the dry

on 1st gear it spins stright, shift to 2nd (spinning) then the car starts to go sidewards (NO CORNERS)

Sounds like you have got yourself a bit of a grunt machine there, enjoy the ride Laughing
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a 4ac, but the tyres still got 10-30% tred left so that shouldnt be to much of a problem? it also hard and smoothish so to aid the lack of no grip
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get the same problem in my TA22 in the wet. ive got 205/60 falkens on the front and 195 yokohama's on the back (yes it is temporary) and all i get is oversteer wet or dry, slow or fast.
id blame the shitty rubber not the ~60rwkw
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

id blame the shitty rubber not the ~60rwkw

No one has mentioned anything about driving style/technique yet Rolling Eyes
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but even taking off slowly and slipping the clutch trying to avoid wheelspin, it still bags up. wet road + shit rubber + little weight over the rear axle usually = wheelspin, as far as i have seen. never spun with the falken ziex 205/60's on the rear without a fair bit of right foot and a sudden lack of left foot, if you catch my drift Rolling Eyes
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get some tyres dude, you could have my old ones, but they are 13s, and i toe'd the edges off two of them, and one of thegood ones has a slow leak.

i bought a set of 4 14 inch dorals... i have never heard of them either for 360.

then again i havent driven on them yet, so they could be even worse than my old 13 inch skypowers.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, always buy the best tyres you can afford...

tyres from wreckers? not the best idea in the world, and if they have 10-30% tread left, they will be fairly old = hard = no grip

so got the idea yet? new tyres?

spend $600 on a great set of tyres now and save a lot of headache and possibly a few accidents later Wink

Cya, Stewart
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 16:46

hard and smoothish

As everyone else said - get some decent tyres. Michelin Energy XM-1's... I swear by them. The most ridiculously grippy tyres I've ever driven on - wet or dry. Around $150 each for 185/60/14's though.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy some decent tyres before you run up someones' arse. It's irresponsible to drive a car in public which reacts like what you describe above.

Affordable, good tyres are Yokohama A539.
tofu garage
Regular

May 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yo sluty what you been doing?

happy new year dude..

chad
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tofu garage wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 17:58

yo sluty what you been doing?

happy new year dude..

chad

well well well..... back from the dead!

I'll PM ya for a bit of a catch up.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get someone to sit in the rear and use advanced weight shifting technique Laughing

No really , just add a under tyred car standard with poor dated live axle design on Melbourne's rubbish roads plus no rain for a month and its really no surprise that the sprinter wheel-spins easy .

I have three set of road tyres and the difference between say the lm901's and a kurmo 711 . In the wet its about the ability to use another 1/4 throttle on take off in first gear , that might not sound like much but its maybe 40hp more at the wheels being applied under 2500rpm . Tyres can change the traction of the car by a large amount .

I found that the standard tyre pressures listed for such a light car unloaded to be joke for the size , the contact patch of the small 165 or 175 would be tiny with those huge pressures . Also most modern tyre's are designed for much higher performance , therefore the sidewall strengths are much higher than the tyres which those pressures where set for . The stock pressure where for sure set with economy in mind .

As well as the tyre ratio and wheel size , lets face it most people here are maybe running 15" rims with 50 series tyres . And the side walls are say twice as stiff as the stock balloon tyres , add tyre temperature to raise the pressure and thats one hell of stiff tyre . It isn't going to be deforming over every millimeter of wet slippery ground is it .

The 539's have just been replaced c drive , i have always used 539's on everything from alfas to bm's and have never driven with such a good value for money tyre . Also did one season on set in a road tyre class and they where still going good at the end .

Or move to a state with better roads and weather

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like u have some sort of a herculian 4ac Laughing personally i dont think that puting an lsd in a car with crap tyres is a good idea...it will only make the matters worse...but more controlable, tyres that come from a wrecker and been sitting out in the sun dry up and get hard as hell....as soon as u drive on them all the corners of the treat blocks break off leaving nothing for grip and ur asking for trouble

plus how can u complain about rain! i got my lsd at the end of winter and living in WA its gonna be dry as hell for eva now....i cant wait for rain... Crying or Very Sad

Adam
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had the same problem wit my sprinter back in the day of the 4a-c, always had my tail out in a roundabout on a wet day... Very Happy
no arrests so far...... Cool
best get the most expensive tyres u can afford, saves u the trouble

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2005 10:08]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill set the problem straight for you all now: learn to drive. you cant drive in the wet like you can in the dry (for some reason most people dont realise this).
when my sprinter was supercharged, i had no trouble with traction in the wet, not with the stock rims with shit tyres, nor with the falken 205/50/R15's. thats if you DRIVE TO SUITE THE CONDITIONS.
you really dont know how to drive if you reckon its even spinning in the dry. seriously you have problems not the car.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Three-and-a-half-link the rear end, that'll fix it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 21:45

Three-and-a-half-link the rear end, that'll fix it.

shhh, you'll confuse the kiddies Shocked
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the three and half link , i was waiting for that again .

Where is that old ae86 suspension thread gone ?

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AHEM

EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 21:18

DRIVE TO SUITE THE CONDITIONS.

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 06:58

AHEM

??? sorry you lost me to the point of quoting that in any relevance to traction issue with the rear suspension geometry of a ae86 sprinter , or are you saying that all people who drive ae86's are not skilled as Takumi with the advanced weight shifting technique , or that ae86 sprinter are very overrated in the wet conditions .

If its still raining tomorrow i might take the stock one out for a laugh at its handling Laughing
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think tomorrow you might need snow tyres. today was the coldest february day ever, 13 degrees.
i'll side with EVOSTi was well, keep a good distance from the car in front, drive slowly and get sideways wherever you can (safely, ie. not crowded intersections please.) you cant go wrong, right? Razz
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i have got a good set of Bridgestone tyres(185/60/r14 82h), just gotta replace the ones on the rims...

so, how would i go about removing and installing tyres? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

i think tomorrow you might need snow tyres. today was the coldest february day ever, 13 degrees.
i'll side with EVOSTi was well, keep a good distance from the car in front, drive slowly and get sideways wherever you can (safely, ie. not crowded intersections please.) you cant go wrong, right?

Confused
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 22:44

are you serious?

take it to a feckin tyre shop!! they'll charge what? $10 per rim to swap tyres and balance?
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a horriable time in the wet... it was even worse when i was sticking on stockies...

only thing i can recommend is some tyres with new tread... thick swaybars... thick strut braces... wheel alignment... and rarely push it in the wet....
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THICK SWAY BARS wont help you in the wet! Rolling Eyes
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 22:51

are you serious?

take it to a feckin tyre shop!! they'll charge what? $10 per rim to swap tyres and balance?

i have $1.25 infront of me Confused
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 23:14

oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 22:51

are you serious?

i have $1.25 infront of me Confused

so why do you have a car if you can't afford to put in petrol and put tyres on it?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and if you buy tyres from a tyre shop and have a chat to them, they'll usually swap them over for free.

and I agree - a car is not something for a person with $1.25... I'd suggest traction problems in the wet may be ow down your list of priorities :\
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simple, take of like a granny, you can plow threw all gears and it will just keep spinning.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought petrol today... for both cars....
ppffffft the plastic is good for something
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=rthy wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 22:44]yea i have got a good set of Bridgestone tyres(185/60/r14 82h), just gotta replace the ones on the rims...

u got three screwdrivers. that is only if u want to feel like a real diy person, or for a tiny bit of money and no effort take it to the tyre shop for $1.25 each
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, and watch those three screw drivers spring back and take your eye out. Take it from experience, DON'T do it. I did it with motorbike tyres once and the leaver sprung back and put a hole in the shed wall......
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: sprinter traction problems Wed, 02 February 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sense a common response here Razz
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what, better tyres?? hehe.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 10:01

Yes, and watch those three screw drivers spring back and take your eye out. Take it from experience, DON'T do it. I did it with motorbike tyres once and the leaver sprung back and put a hole in the shed wall......

yeh so use a bit of common sense and put ur foot on the screwdrivers. o and btw rthy stop complaining about lak of traction. i would kill for that problem ( i hav a ke 30 wit the 1200 in it atm). we could swap cars if u would like Razz and i don't understand how u can get dorifto in 2nd wit teh 4ac??? that is a good effort.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drifto? Laughing no...
anyways i took oldcorollas advice and went to the tyre shop (fawkner tyres) and replaced em with 195/60r14's for $20 Smile

those old tyres where so crap (probly early 80's type)

anyways i like DIY stuff, like building a piece of crap sprinter, and having the alternator catch on fire on the way home from the tyre shop

thanks all for ur help in saving my life or other

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2005 04:47]

cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man seriously get better tires. i had baldies for a while cause i couldnt be bothered getting new ones. i had a van stop fast quite a bit ahead of me in the wet and started braking in time but just locked and slid about 15metres down the road and rear ended him
so get new tires before u fuk ur sprinter and someone elses car.
is fun but. lol
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i replaced them with 195/60/r14's the service was $20, after melbs heavy rains i dont trust my sprinter anymore, not that i ever did
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 22:08

EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 06:58

AHEM

??? sorry you lost me to the point of quoting that in any relevance to traction issue with the rear suspension geometry of a ae86 sprinter , or are you saying that all people who drive ae86's are not skilled as Takumi with the advanced weight shifting technique , or that ae86 sprinter are very overrated in the wet conditions .

If its still raining tomorrow i might take the stock one out for a laugh at its handling Laughing

my point is this thread is not about rear suspsension geometry although it was brought up. its about getting traction in a stock sprinter in the wet. dont give me this takumi shit, it doesnt take a skilled driver to take of in the wet without spinning the wheels in a sprinter, i mean if people can do it in old V8's with a LOT more torque than a shitty 4ac any tard can do it in a sprinter. tough, but true. im not always this agro but there are alot of overkill replies to an easy problem here.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i can take of with out wheel spin but to get to 60 it will take about 30-40seconds

i think the solution was the shit crappy old design tyres with shit rubber type plastic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: sprinter traction problems Thu, 03 February 2005 13:19 Go to previous message
If your gunna take off tyres yourself. instead of having champagne cork responses wiht tools, why dont you take out the valves so the tyres deflate and lose pressure.....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:W58 - serial numbers or identifiers
Next Topic:removing supercharger SC12
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 23:52:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081548690795898 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.