Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » is it worth it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
is it worth it? Wed, 13 November 2002 14:57 Go to next message
at present i own a gz20 soarer with 1g-gte. The car is in pretty good condition. They weigh a little less than 1500kg i think. Anyone know exactly? Now i don't know if it is worth doing a 1jz conversion in this car or looking for something a bit lighter. I have tried to do the conversion before but bought the wrong front cut and ran out of money. So...what other cars are reasonably easy to fit a 1jz into that would weigh a bit less? Too many bloody choices Sad

thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: is it worth it? Wed, 13 November 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forgot to mention that i got a quote on 1jz conversion into my car. $5300 which included the purchase of the front cut,installation including wiring, 3" mandrel exhaust and FMIC. later
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Wed, 13 November 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I didn't realise the GZ20 versions of that Soarer were quite that heavy, even the 1G versions of the Mk3 Supra got down to the 1400-1500kg range.

If you are looking for a car to put it into, you could always try a Mk2 Supra. If you can find a good one Smile If you still have the Chaser front cut you can use that because the Mk2 needs something with a front sump. The engine is plenty big enough to handle a 1JZGTE and they weigh roughly 1300-1350kg with the M-series engines in there.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Thu, 14 November 2002 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think (or heard somwewhere) that the mk2 weighs 1280?
who knows.
but that's the conversion I'm going with. $5000 is a GREAT price for a full install ... you'll be doing well to do a conversion for less than that. just remember the supra half-cut comes with a decent FMIC ... and chaser sumps/half cuts are rare as rocking horse s^&t .. believe me I'm searching.
also consider gearbox for that.. can becomes a pricey affair

but yes, if you're looking to put a ijz into something, I'd recommend the mk2 or mk3 (I'd only go mk3 for the targas personally)
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Thu, 14 November 2002 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mk2 Supra is 1340 to 1380 kg. Mk2 Corona is 1220 for the coupe and 1280kg for the 4 door.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: is it worth it? Thu, 14 November 2002 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh common dave, they're not that fat!!

official weighbridge tag on my ma61 with the usual shit in the car and 35L of fuel is 1340kg. 1380? thats pretty obese id say.

rego weight is listed as 1265kg Very Happy

cheers
ed
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Thu, 14 November 2002 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would a fibre-glass bonnet help? Razz
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Thu, 14 November 2002 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, remember stripping a full tank of fuel, oil, and coolant will shift you over 70kg
a fibreglass bonet will of course strip some more.
I'll post more details once my conversion is finished (or started actually) as I plan to strip what weight I can. fibreglass bonnet, do something with that truck front bar... see how much i can get off
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Thu, 14 November 2002 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bassaholic55: where did you get the quote for 1jz swap coz thats a good price. I gotta quote from toyospares and it was $7000. Is it in NSW or VIC?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Fri, 15 November 2002 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, wasn't it also true that you had a big arse tool box in the back of the car when you weighed it too? I'll be hoping for about ~1275kg from my car once its finished, helps having a smaller engine out the front Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: is it worth it? Sat, 16 November 2002 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jcmfrank: yep. didnt want to get too carried away with the list of shit in my car is all. but for your interest:

1340kg:
-35l fuel
-spare tyre (225/60/14)
-4l of water in a bottle
-2 med sized toolboxes
-10" sub and amp
-usual other s-hit

cheers
ed
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Sat, 16 November 2002 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a lot of shit!
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: is it worth it? Sat, 16 November 2002 06:32 Go to previous message
Ed,

you forgot to mention the crowbar, inflatable brittany spears, the 2 exhaust manifolds and the wiring looms you carry around!

oh yeah, and the 2 7m-ge cylinder heads!

Cheers

Weight of the weed is negligible hey?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:vacumn diagram
Next Topic:Is my car trying to communicate?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 06:18:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067248344421387 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.