Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Any old farts out there?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 05:21 Go to next message
G'day, new member here. I just wanted to know if there's anyone in my age group around? 40+
I know it seems to be a young person's scene but I've recently got my first Celica and like to get involved in forums and clubs and such and didn't want to seem to be the "Old bloke at the back of the room" sorta thing.
I bought myself a 1977 Mustang Celica. I'm still trying to figure out all the terminology you young folk use as far as the engine is concerned but it's got a 1.8L twin cam turbo from a Supra (I think).
Anyway, I'll just linger in the background and hopefully learn a few things from you blokes.

Cheers, Greg.
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome Greg!

As you will find out, 'River' is one of the funniest bastards on this forum, but a bit out of your age group. If you are 40, he's old enough to be your grandfather Laughing Razz

And he has a rare Mustang celica himself (not your garden variety Mustang either - something a little bit special Wink )

Sounds like you may have a 3TGTE in yours. And don't worry about the lingo, you'll pick it up quick-smart.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome Greg.
Don't forget old man Rob! Laughing
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome Greg,yeh there are a couple of old blokes on here that us young blokes are trying to befriend so when they drop off the twig we are first in line on the will for their ride Laughing
are you a smoker Greg? Laughing
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Older people are cool as they generally have the cash to back up their projects Smile
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dust wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 17:21

Older people are cool as they generally have the cash to back up their projects Smile

Not if they are paying off a house they don't. Laughing
Still i'm not to old at 35 i guess.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.J.H wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 17:54

Still i'm not to old at 35 i guess.

Yeah you are.
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 17:21

No not a smoker but rather a large eater of greasy foods.
You'll have to line up behind my daughters and son to get the car if I kick the bucket.

Cheers, Greg.
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is it.

http://australiantropicalreptiles.com/modules/xgallery/cache/albums/album14/abp.sized.jpg
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dust wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 16:21

...not really ... but we do tend to have enough sense to keep a reliable parts hack registered when the inevitable mechanical failure occurs Razz

we also tend to not rush projects Wink

but having even older old-farts than myself here makes me feel even younger and stupid..

btw: nice car...very smooth ... do your kids feel embarrased by your childish antics in it? Wink
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 18:03

riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 17:21

No not a smoker but rather a large eater of greasy foods.
You'll have to line up behind my daughters and son to get the car if I kick the bucket.

Cheers, Greg.

hahah cool ill have to just work on river a bit more he has the GT version of ur car. It looks really nice mate and welcome again,do you have any plans for the 3tgteu?
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nowhere near embarrassing yet. Cool
I've always tried to have "cool" cars. I have a '66 Mustang Coupe as a daily driver.
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 18:13

hahah cool ill have to just work on river a bit more he has the GT version of ur car. It looks really nice mate and welcome again,do you have any plans for the 3tgteu?

What differences are there in the GT version to the standard version?

I'm planning on enjoying driving the car. The previous owner has spent tens of thousands of dollars to get it to where it is now. If I decide to sell my Mustang then who knows what will happen to the Celica with all that cash to throw at it.

Cheers,Greg.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, im a youngin' and I gotta admit that looks hell sweet!

Welcome to toymods.. A warning; this forum becomes an addiction.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah, I'm one! Cool

Welcome aboard Greg, and don't let these young punks get to you. Smile

When I get the dialasis machine and iron-lung fitted to my car (so I can go beyond 5ks from the Hospital) I'm gonna go over to slut's place and sort him out.

40's not old... crikey mate, you're just passing puberty!

Awww shit Burner, I promised Rod he could have the car as the official Toymods Mascot vehicle when I kark it. Smile Assuming the girls don't want it.

This forum loves us old blokes. I like to drop-off pearls of wisdom every now and then. Give them amusing and poignant anacdotes about how life was before Celicas, electric guitars and the internal combustion engine. I ooze wisdom like puss from a boil, and I'm hellaciously classy too!

Between my stints at Lawn Bowls I like to drop into the forums to see what's happening. I go to the monthly meetings and I can see the respect in the Boards eyes (well, I'm assuming it's respect) when they see my weazened frame draped over one of those bastardly uncomfortable chairs.

Oh, just to clarify, my GT is an RA25 model liftback, not the RA28 version - which is what you have. Lambolica is currently doing an RA28 GT. I think Lambo loves me too, nearly as much as slut loves me.... and Gold28... and Stitt.. and the list goes on. Everyone loves us old fellas. Laughing

Some advice... don't get involved in Corolla/Sprinter/Treuno topics 'cos it's mixing pot of hot know-it-all young guns and driftheads. Smile Any time there's a music topic, just tell 'em that Zep and Hendrix were the kings and that usually quietens things down - 'cos you can't argue against such blatant truth. Smile

Just have fun, extract the piss where possible, throw in some techo answers (only if you know the answer - tho' that doesn't stop some) and don't get uncool or heavy (I loooove those 60's words).

seeyuzz
river
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you crack me up everytime River.... And make no mistake - no one loves you more than me!

As for your generalisation with the AE86 stuff, I'm a bit hurt really..... I remember having a great old rant with you about the great old bands of the 60's and 70's..... And I love drifting. Razz Twisted Evil

Anyway, your car looks beautiful Greg. How does she go compared to that old pushrod V8 thingamajig?
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like we're gonna get on like a house on fire River. We seem to speak the same language. At 43 and with a Grandson already my kids think I'm waaaay over the hill.

AE86slut wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 19:04

Anyway, your car looks beautiful Greg. How does she go compared to that old pushrod V8 thingamajig?

The old pushrod thing is strictly for cruising, it has a stock 302W. The Celica on the other hand has been built to blow V8's into the weeds. Which I've been doing since getting it last week. The shit eating grin hasn't left my face all week. My missus thinks I'm having an affair or something.

Cheers, Greg
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

As for your generalisation with the AE86 stuff, I'm a bit hurt really..... I remember having a great old rant with you about the great old bands of the 60's and 70's..... And I love drifting. Razz Twisted Evil

Awwww, I was just having fun. No offence intended.

Yeah, I remember that music thread. You, me and RobRA40 having a good old rant about the good classic bands.

I just don't like drifting 'cos I can't do it and if I could I wouldn't do it in my old girl... and I'm just a nasty, jealous old mongrel. Very Happy But you knew that anyway!

seeyuzz
river
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 19:12

The old pushrod thing is strictly for cruising, it has a stock 302W. The Celica on the other hand has been built to blow V8's into the weeds. Which I've been doing since getting it last week. The shit eating grin hasn't left my face all week. My missus thinks I'm having an affair or something.

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's what I like to hear.

And River, I knew you were joking man. When are we gonna meet up for a doobie anyways? Laughing Razz
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 18:09

This is it.

http://australiantropicalreptiles.com/modules/xgallery/cache/albums/album14/abp.sized.jpg

silver RA28 == teh win

ohh and

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/rsturzen/robeinstein.jpg
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 19:12

My missus thinks I'm having an affair or something.
Cheers, Greg

Hehehehe.. you are! I've been having an affair with mine for quarter of a century.

Oh, check out this site if you want to see some pics of my car. It's a GT version of the RA25, which was the predecessor to the RA28 series. The RA25 was a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) vehicle and wasn't exported, which was a shame.

http://www.classic-celica.com/modules.php?set_albu mName=1973-JDM-RA25GT&op=modload&name=gall ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I welcome everyone to go there 'cos my album has got more hits than anyother in this gallery and it'll stop me going there 10 times a day to keep my stats up! Smile

Slut, you're never at the meetings Crying or Very Sad But where were you at Toyfest. I was there. Small Car Sunday in March... you going? Did you go to the last Dyno day 'cos I was there too. I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere....

seeyuzz
river
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 19:25

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/rsturzen/robeinstein.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 19:35

Slut, you're never at the meetings Crying or Very Sad But where were you at Toyfest. I was there. Small Car Sunday in March... you going? Did you go to the last Dyno day 'cos I was there too. I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere....

Hehehe.... I stay in the shadows, my man, I stay in the shadows. I was a Toyfest, but spent most of the day avoiding all these old folk loitering in the car-park.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, it's nice to finally have another Greg here!

Now that you own a celica, all you need to know is that
a) corollas are shopping trollies.
b) an AE86 Levin/Trueno is a corolla
c) any post 1985 celica is a hairdresser's car

and be prepared to enter a corolla vs celica vs supra debate Smile

The old guys are generally respected by us "new adults" (read: 20 year olds), and most of the kiddies have gone back to school so things are back to normal! Excellent taste in music is always appreciated (zepplin, hendrix, floyd...)

and finally - nice ride! there's nothing quite so good as sending someone in their 3-day-old v8 holden crying home because an old toyota trashed them Smile
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what's this thing anyway? Looks like an RA28 but ugly bumpers.

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=1957
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like a RA29 GTV?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

It could be an RA35 also, but not sure. It could be an American RA28 'cos the yanks are sensitive people and they insisted that these cars have big rubber bits on the bumpers for collisions at 5mph or less.

Some of the yanks like them, but most hate them and are always looking to see if they can buy some "smilie" bars (ie, the normal chrome bumpers we have on our old Classics).

Also, it makes their cars look like Volvos with all that rubber on the bumpers. I'd just as soon throw a couple of tyres on the front and back of the car, sorta like they do with tugboats. Couldn't be any uglier.

Dunno if the Corollas that went to the USA had similar changes to their bumpers.

Rob, loved ya Einstein-Rob P00 car pic. And yes, Jimi was the man.

Farkurnell, I do like your car. Looks very nice and with the 3TGTE engine she'd go like the clappers. Post some more pics for us all to have a gander.

seeyuzz
river
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome Greg, enjoy the forums Very Happy

Love the celica Shocked very impressive, come to one of the dyno days and see what you can squeeze out of her Very Happy

As for the corolla being shopping trolleys, i highly disagree Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2005 11:28]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Wed, 02 February 2005 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 18:20

What differences are there in the GT version to the standard version?

There were basically 4 models of RA28; the LT, ST, GT & GTV. The RA25 did not have a GTV version.

The LT had the lowest level of trim and had a SOHC 2litre 18RC 4cyl engine. Very robust and reliable, but not very powerful. This is the model that was imported to Australia.

The ST was the mid-range, with better trim and a dual-throat carbie on the same 18RC engine. I think it may of had an overhead warning light system, but I'm not 100% certain.

The top range was the GT. It had air-con, power windows and oil/ammeter gauges rather than idiot lights. It had a high level of trim and an overhead warning light system. It had the 2litre DOHC 18RG 4cyl engine (with EFI?) two-piece tail-shaft. 7.5inch LSD, and the P51 steel-case 5spd gearbox. Different front grille also.

The GTV was the GT version but without the fancy trim or air-con or power windows. It ran the same engine and performance bits of the GT, but not all the luxury bits. It was deemed to be faster 'cos it was lighter since it didn't have the comfy bits.

I'm sure if I missed anything then some of the more knowledgable RA28 owners will correct me.

Most people get their LT RA28 and replace the boat-anchor engine with either an 18RG (straight bolt on), 1GGTE (2litres, 6 cylinder turbo) or a 3TGTE (1.8litre turbo 4cyl) for better performance. They usually upgrade the diff to handle the power and put in better brakes and suspension for handling and usually a Supra gearbox.

The GT and GTV models, being so rare, are normally not the target for an upgrade and are often kept as they were built to keep them original.

A rare few do the upgrades to their LT models and then seek out the GT/GTV badges, grilles and other parts to make their vehicle into a GT (or GTV) in just about every aspect except the VIN.

Go and have a squizz at the "Members Ride" section in the forums and you'll see some of the marvellous stuff people have done to their cars. There's some magnificent machines out there.

Hope that illuminates you somewhat.

seeyuzz
river
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
37 and owner of 2 Crowns and 3 Mark2s.
muzzi
Regular

December 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ot, but I love your nick Smile

I am new to these forums and this modification scene, and know next to nothing about the workings of cars! However I am learning! I am also starting my project soon, to get some hands on experience Smile

Anyway, enough about me... I do hope your kidding when you called yourself an old fart Smile Being old is all in your head, aight!
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're only as old as the Woman ya feel, isn't that the old saying?
Well my Woman's 45, so nuff said.
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell: G day mate. Your Ra28 looks awesome! If I were in your shoes Ide be scaring the shit out of every young C on the road. Welcome to the forums.

River: Hendrix, Zep, Sabbath etc = FUCK YEAH! Very Happy Smile Surprised Cool
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 18:47

Bahhhh... she's still a spring chicken!

After a fully sik and hektik day of knocking down midi's of light ale and chasing the Lawn Bowl Retiresses around the green, a 45yo seems obsenely young. Smile

I'm now in the mood to plug in my guitar and let the family hear some filthy old Slade, max volume and max distortion. Very Happy

seeyuzz
(Old man) river
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's probably insulting to ask a man of your advancing years river, but how old are ya anyhow?
early-mid 50s? (guess?)
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good onya River.
Noddy Holder, the original screamer.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2005 08:39]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

How old am I? Crikey, I'm positively insulted by that question. Don't you know you should never question your elders? Smile

Hmmm... I'll have to look up my date and count the rings and get back to you, but your guess is pretty good. I've also booked myself into Sydney Uni for a carbon-dating.

Yeah, good old Noddy Holder Smile Marc Bolan also is way cool. Glam rock rocks!!!! Cool

seeyuzz
river
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 16:51

Don't you know you should never question your elders? Smile

oh the amount of jokes ive been subjected to because that word resembles my name, i hate the english language.

river, id really like to know how old you are, just to see if youve experienced as much as i think you have Razz

post or pre triassic period? Razz
1983supra
Regular

I supported Toymods

July 2002
Re: Any old farts out there? Thu, 03 February 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 19:28

Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 18:47

I'm now in the mood to plug in my guitar and let the family hear some filthy old Slade, max volume and max distortion. Very Happy

seeyuzz
(Old man) river

I must admit when you are over forty (sigh) and you pull up at a set of lights in an 83 Supra with Noddy Holder screaming his lungs out through a couple of amps, you do get some very strange looks. But what the hell I,m having a good time. Very Happy
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Any old farts out there? Fri, 04 February 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you crack me up everytime River.... And make no mistake - no one loves you more than me!

you make me laugh too, old man river.

welcome greg!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Any old farts out there? Fri, 04 February 2005 06:06 Go to previous message
joyride wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 15:52

you make me laugh too, old man river.

Step off biznich, he's my funny old man.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Re: Bad Companies/bad experiences
Next Topic:Shiftlock
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:29:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079669952392578 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.