Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » big port or small port (dillemma)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
big port or small port (dillemma) Wed, 02 February 2005 08:02 Go to next message
i've searched the forums and looked up club 4ag but cant decide =\

im soon gonna upgrade the 4ac and burn it. but i dont know which engine is best big port or smallport?

i want something to be able to drift, be reliable and i'll be pushing about 100kw to the wheels

which should i choose

i know that the red top roughly puts out 80+ kw to the wheels
and the blue top i have no idea,

help? Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Thu, 03 February 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poh_86 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 19:02

i've searched the forums and looked up club 4ag but cant decide =\

im soon gonna upgrade the 4ac and burn it. but i dont know which engine is best big port or smallport?

i want something to be able to drift, be reliable and i'll be pushing about 100kw to the wheels

which should i choose

i know that the red top roughly puts out 80+ kw to the wheels
and the blue top i have no idea,

help? Confused

I've seen 4ages in ae82s and sprinters which have been lucky to push 60-65kw... some 4agzes were barely able to pass 80kw....

These were the 86kw versions, but yeah i find that the 86kw engine was always more fun, i believe the bigport was the 86kw version and smallport was the 100kw from the ae93 corolla sx...

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Thu, 03 February 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i rekon smallport goes harder in the top end, in stock form.
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Thu, 03 February 2005 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im gonna ask a uber noob question please dont bash me
but what engine do you recommend for drift?
or is it a personal preference?
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Thu, 03 February 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both motors provide minimal power, so its not gonna be easy to drift with either. Either one really, not much difference.
Drew-AE86
Regular

August 2002

Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Thu, 03 February 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4A-GE's are great motors which will take a thrashing day in day out and wont die... aslong as it is filled with its important life fluid... oil!!! Shocked

As for Big port vs Small Port

Remember that Big Port motors delivered to Australia were released in the AE82. They had 86kw and 88kw @ the motor.... not at the wheels... roughly putting out 60ish kw at the wheels

The Big Port was also released in Japan in the AE86, and a model of celica (too early to try to remember). This version of the first 4A-GE had more power than the aus delivered items, producing 130hp (~97kw) These motors are alot harder to find, but are already in the RWD format.

As for the Small Port, 100kw @ motor, oil squirters in the block, 7 rib block = stronger. This motor is going to respond best to modifcations up to 200hp... where as > 200hp the big port is preferred.

If you would like to do some reseach yourself, http://www.billzilla.org/ is a great starting point. Bill Sherwood is one smart guy, and you will find alot of useful information browsing his site. You will also find alot of relevant information on http://www.club4ag.com

Both motors dont have alot of grunt, and you will have to give them a thrashing to achieve what you are after. Saying that, 4A-GE's sound horny as and i wish you luck in your upgrading down the track Laughing

Regards
Drew
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your going to get 100kw @ wheels that will cost you a lot, especially if you want it NA, why not try force induction for that power, perhaps 4agze with a turbo ? or a ca18det.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not another ca 86.... Rolling Eyes

i now know of no less than 10! in the works...
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i'll get bashed for this but what about the 20v? what output do they have at the flywheel or wheels?

my smallport i'm guessing will be on the way out soon considering the oil that it uses and was thinking of a 20v over a GZE.

but back on topic i've been very impressed with the power from the smallport. it gets a good hiding every week down OPH and usually sits happily between 4500 and 6000 the whole way Evil or Very Mad
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well from what i researched, 20 valve they beat out your firewall and other stuff, and i also heard aftermarket mods are hard to get or something a rather

and gze speaks for itself. induction with forged pistons would love to have one of those but that will literally break my budget and also break my balls Embarassed
Drew-AE86
Regular

August 2002

Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bash you for bringing up the 20V?

ken oath!!

if its a black top, ill bash you for it!
Very Happy
i just thought about the sound of Steves... need to change my underwear Laughing

I have heard there are alternative ways of going about installing a 20V without having to cause damage to your vehicle... i however can not back up my claims with evidence Sad

Why are so many people doing the CA conversion? cuz its a good bang for buck upgrade... i cant see any other reason why... not like all these people set out for the sold purpose to dishonour the 86 badge by cross breeding.... *sighs*

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 07:34]

poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh that isnt my thing either, plus ca's are poo boxe's as stockers
i vs'd my mate in his s13 turbo and i had an auto golf xD kicked the shit out of him till we hit abt 3rd.
maybe cos golf has short gear ratio's
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldn't say that a 16 4age is completly useless for drift... it suited simon for a long time... but it does have its limit...

i think its fine for anyone wanting to get the basics down for drift and become semi-pro at it... once u believe u've reached ur limits with the engine im sure u'll have enough money and enough tech know how to install something with a big more grunt (20v-4agze-anything really)

i personally like small ports better...
shiri
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id go bigport, cos it has so manny applications... and cheap

otherwise go small, if u got the money might as well go 20v or 4agze
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ca is stock, and it would shit on most cars out there Wink
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well said mate, a 4age and a set up hachi will serve you well and be fun to slide along with teaching you just how hard you have to push yourself and the car to really drift. therefore lies the challange and the fun behind these motors.

however i reached that popint where to compete with the bigboys oin the track i simply needed more power!

simon
ShiRi wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 18:55

i wouldn't say that a 16 4age is completly useless for drift... it suited simon for a long time... but it does have its limit...

i think its fine for anyone wanting to get the basics down for drift and become semi-pro at it... once u believe u've reached ur limits with the engine im sure u'll have enough money and enough tech know how to install something with a big more grunt (20v-4agze-anything really)

i personally like small ports better...
shiri

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey simon, just watched some of your action on a HPimports dvd i got given, some nice driving there son Smile
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simon that was so true, compared to the 180's they got their turbo's to power it out where as the hachi's need far more high end rpm to initiate drift.

i would go small port but the money is a crucial factor to it all.. and also i will consider upgrading to a 3s-gte or a 4agze
but enough of the dreaming =P

but a 4ag is stepping stone to learning something bigger.. dont want a full rev'd up car and end up around a pole =\

and shiri, your doing your conversion too yeh?

whats your plans?
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
small port. ive had both in ae86s. small port compared to big port is day and night. the small port is SOOO much better.

if you listen to some people, the big port is a better candidate for a serious build (over 100hp per litre), but hardly anyone goes there so its no relavent.

just realised its you man... heh sorry. get a small port.

poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i woulda got a small port if u hadnt SOLD IT
lol
nah sall good. i'm looking for just the right one in sydney too.not in a rush. unless rust beats me to it Razz

so hows that blacktop going along of yours?

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 14:33]

slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Fri, 04 February 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sits in the engine bay right now, got it home last night from the workshop where i installed it. sort everything else out this week.

computer arrived a few days ago. still 1 or 2 parts to source, should be ready to wire in a week but we may be waiting on headers. but 2 weeks or maybe a little less is the goal.

getting excited, another 20kw, plus all the cool shit, programable, quads, vvt Smile
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Sat, 05 February 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where did u say u lived again?? Laughing
far out man thats gonna be one hektic ride
and the sounds of the quads 000ft

so how much do u reckon it cost for that mod??
Rolling Eyes
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: big port or small port (dillemma) Sat, 05 February 2005 00:27 Go to previous message
whast about a small port with big port cams (more lift ?)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Can Timing cause BHG?
Next Topic:Auto Salon Picz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 18:58:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062980651855469 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.