Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » any more info on my 18rg build before i do it???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 10:51 Go to next message
just wondering if before my engine gets redone if theres anything anyone else wants to add to it.. the plans are

oring the block
trd or metal headgasket
18rc pistons with chrome moly rings
new bearing
7mgte injecters
megasquirt efi ecu
block is being faced
head is getting valves lapped in professionally
home made turbo manifold from extracters ( as close to tuned length as possible)
big FMIC
T04 turbo with external waste gate
3 inch mandrel exhaust all the way
all the other goodies like gauges, turbo timer. blow off valve etc etc...

is there anything else i should consider..
Im going to look into prices on balancing the bottum end and what parts i should get balanced.

should i get flywheel lightened..Any point??
Also looking into better clutch

I want to eventually run upto 25 psi without dramas but its not a daily driver at this stage. weekend toy..

should i look at forgies based on the rc pistons or should standards do the trick??

all info is greatly appreciated on this.
  Send a private message to this user    
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also just thought about oil pump...what do people suggest to use for it as a better pump???
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i was you i would be building the 18R for torque not 25 psi - if i wanted it to last anyway, mid compresion mid boost FULLY balanced, blueprinted, file back rings and crack tested everything (i had a lower timing chain sprocket let go and fuck a fully rebuilt 18R), port match the manifolds and go for a rebuilt ball baring nissan turbo or something to keep it simple it will serve you well

Allan
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok to make things more clear i already have the rc pistons with chrome rings, all the bearins, the injecters, the turbo and waste gate and the exhaust, the full efi setup. so basically only sending it in for the valves and oring then get new headgasket. The whole purpose of this engine is to build it to handle heaps of boost. Its been a very low $$$$ project so if i fry the engine after 10 or 15k it would bother me to much.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh fairy enuf
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good luck with it lasting on 25lbs boost .the weak link are the 18rg rods or better the rod bolts
we turboed 1 18rg years ago on 48mm webbers blow through made 340 hp but had to change mains and big ends after every race so it would not spin a bearing and this had a mack truck intercooler on it as well
efi might make a little bit of difference in the fueling so you mighten melt a piston or detonate the ring lands ,better to keep the boost as low as possible maybe 15 tops it might last longer
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive been thinking last night that i may keep down to around 16pound and see how it goes. (only gonna run about 7 until its worn the engine in though). Im gonna concentrate more on the look of it also so i can get some bling bling on it. celicara45 do you still have the trd head gaskets for $70. are they standard size? does that include postage. Im gonna be after one in the near future.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the 18rg stuff went with the group A celica when i sold it sorry nothing left except a set of arp rod bolts and some 18rg carbie linkages for a ra23 celica
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much u want for that stuff???
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would go for the forged pistons straight up - sell the pistons that you have (if you are going over 15psi).
I would not lighten the flywheel and (depending on RPM) I recommend using a steel flywheel (I use steel due to frequent 7500+ excursions).
Good clutch = mandatory.
Everything should be balanced in ANY maximum effort rebuild.
Like has been said - conservative turbo sizing = more fun street engine.
18RG oil pump is quite big and very capable of supporting your system.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Fri, 04 February 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gt 18rg linkages and arp rod bolts 150 plus postage
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Sat, 05 February 2005 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know if i have to build the bottum end then get it balanced or should i get everything balanced on its own...ive read alot of different stories on the way that everyone does it..
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Sat, 05 February 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are not to bad as std but you need the crank and the rods ,pistons f/wheel and clutch cover and the front crank pulley ,also if you use arp rod bolts they have to resize the the rods and you should get them ground and linished and then resized for the bolts and then resized to make sure they are perfectly for the bearings then balnced to each other
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Sun, 06 February 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like CelicaRA45 has said. Take the crank and everything that attaches to it - harmonic balancer, crank, rods (rods already with new bolts and resized), pistons and pins, flywheel (including bolts), pressure plate (also including bolts).

These parts are balanced prior to final assembly.

I mention this because it is common practice when making many changes to do a preliminary assembly to check things.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: any more info on my 18rg build before i do it??? Sun, 06 February 2005 01:44 Go to previous message
also as a side note 18rg rod bolts are crap if you start putting big hp through them and this is also na form or turbo you will spin the big ends
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1800cc 20 Valve (7AGE) ---need help---
Next Topic:can u fit a turbo in a corolla 2002 stock motor..??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 02:01:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050671100616455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.