Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 03:30 Go to next message
tried a search, didnt find much useful, but i'll keep it brief.

1. will the smallport 4AGE run without an air temperature sensor

2. can i use the air temp sensor off any other more common engine as a replacement (i know the TPS are the same on bigport and smallport engines)

3. there is no 3.

thanks in advance,

will
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it helps my bigport and small port temp sensor look identical.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks joel, that helps a lot, i was assuming they would be the same for all toyota engines that have them but you never know.

now i just need to buy one.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. yes the engine will run without one.

2. AE92 4afe and 4age intake air temp sensors are identical.

3. there is no spoon.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there might not be any spoons, but i wish they had made the second two movies less totally aweful.

thanks for the info, ill buy one tomorrow
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alternative is to put an 8k ohm resistor across the two wires for the sensor. I believe this is supposed to make the ECU think the engine is sucking in cold air so it puts in more fuel to compensate which gives more power.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to dispell the previous post's rumours and heresay....

# more fuel DOES NOT equal more power unless there is more air. Adding more fuel just means a richer mixture, and quite possibly LESS power.

THe idea of the intake air temp sensor is to compensate for the DENSITY of air due to temperature fluctuations. Colder air is more dense, and thus has more oxygen per unit volume. Hot air is less dense and thus less oxygen per unit volume.

The rest of the explantion i leave out as assumed.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Wed, 02 February 2005 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... and as the Corollas tend to run lean on the standard ECU in my experience, the additional fuel helps - certainly has had a noticeable affect on mine - not huge but noticeable. I wouldn't call it a "performance" improvement but I hear it is a technique used in drag meets to get a little bit extra.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2005 02:58]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Fri, 04 February 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit, just got back from toyota, im sure this has been discussed before, but i had a heart attack nonethless.

first of all, this fat dude who came out to help the service chick said "air temperature sensor, never heard of that, they have an air flow meter..."

then he was amazed when sure enough there is such a thing as an air temperature sensor.

$89 bucks for the air temp sensor, 75 for trade.

i got a price on a dizzy cap for my smallport too, $123.

i think ill go visit some wreckers.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Fri, 04 February 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the air temp sensor might be part of the AFM - it certainly is in the 5M, 6M, 7M (NA), 2S, 18RGUE, etc engines.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Fri, 04 February 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out Mr Revhead for the dizzy cap. He can send you one from NZ for half that including postage. That's where I got mine.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 February 2005 10:55]

NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Sat, 05 February 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scorpion wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 06:58

... and as the Corollas tend to run lean on the standard ECU in my experience,

Really? Is that a fact? How'd u find that out? I don't have an air/fuel gauge for my car but I'm definately interested in the fuel mixtures.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Sat, 05 February 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 16:45

the air temp sensor might be part of the AFM - it certainly is in the 5M, 6M, 7M (NA), 2S, 18RGUE, etc engines.

Yes on a AFM or MAF system the temp sensor is usually part of the Air Flow Meter (AFM) or Mass Air Flow (MAF) unit... on a Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) setup there is a seperate air temp sensor.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: smallport 4AGE air temperature sensor questions. Sat, 05 February 2005 11:04 Go to previous message
Didn't say it's a fact. Just passing on comments used to sell A/F chip mods for cars and what I've found with my fiddling with cars. Witzl's comments are right if you presume your sensor is providing the correct resistance changes for the ECU to adjust the mixture accurately. Presumably an aftermarket ECU would give you more control if you are keen to pursue the mixtures.
Also, FYI, there is no AFM on the smallports that I have seen as they use a MAP sensor. And before the Witz jumps in, no doubt there are variants around with AFMs - but I ain't seen 'em. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:EMS ignition module wiring
Next Topic:plenum design
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:38:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074901580810547 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.