Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon5.gif  Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sat, 05 February 2005 09:48 Go to next message
I need to start shopping for one for my GA65 project - which is prefferable?

(posted in Tech rather than General Dicsussion, as this is a tech question)

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sat, 05 February 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no reason either wouldn't work. Ultimately the electronic might seem a little neater, and might be easier due to not having to run a vacuum hose into the cabin.

Price wise, you get reamed for having the electronic one.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 February 2005 09:55]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sat, 05 February 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a Blitz Dual Turbo Timer and it has a boost gauge built in with overboost warning and peak hold etc.

They only cost ~$200-250 at Autobarn which I reckon is a better investment than just a straight boost gauge.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sat, 05 February 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sort of on topic - is there any problem with teeing your boost gauge into the vacuum line about 5cm from the ecu? slower responsiveness for ecu?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sat, 05 February 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shouldn't be a problem.
Mines tee'd onto the MAP sensor and hasn't caused any drama's.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sun, 06 February 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sat, 05 February 2005 21:44

I bought a Blitz Dual Turbo Timer and it has a boost gauge built in with overboost warning and peak hold etc.

They only cost ~$200-250 at Autobarn which I reckon is a better investment than just a straight boost gauge.

Do you find a digital numeric readout not as useful as an analog needle one, or is it fine?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sun, 06 February 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be honest, to me, the digital readout is probably more effective so long as it updates fast.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sun, 06 February 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

isnt it better to have electrical for safety? well
i dunno how much a leaky mechan boost gauge would
affect the car, prob less boost and mess the readings...

with boost i think its a full sweep gauge, on a lot
of other common elec gauges they arent full sweep due to the
sender range i think so it depends if you want the full
range or a select range on the others.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Boost gauges... which is better, mechanical or electronic? Sun, 06 February 2005 10:58 Go to previous message
draven wrote on Sat, 05 February 2005 21:45

sort of on topic - is there any problem with teeing your boost gauge into the vacuum line about 5cm from the ecu? slower responsiveness for ecu?

When Bruce Bowling was testing the Megasquirt at the beginning of the project, he had 30 feet (9m) of vacuum tubing to see if it affected the response of the ECU. he found that there was little difference in having 2 feet or 30 feet, although the longer it was, the more the pulses pulses were filtered out.

i put a carby fuel filter in series before the ECU, and in my testing, there is less than 0.05 seconds difference (if there is any), as that was the lowest time difference i could datalog.

since the fuel filter is a much much larger volume, it should be no problem Smile

Cya, Stewart
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aftermarket Knock control
Next Topic:double post
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 06:38:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066249370574951 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.