Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 10:43 Go to next message
Hi yall

This is just a warning for any youngsters such as myself who may not know the ins and outs of pink slipping yet. They dont like oil. At all. Unfortunatly my fuel pump had been losing a bit of oil and the belts were throwing it around the engine bay...which made him look closer and found another (MINOR) leak at rear of gearbox. Anyway he wouldnt sign the slip till I got it all fixed, 400 bucks later... so just make sure if ur car is leaking oil, wash it off before a pink slip!

Cheers Andy
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your going to the srong place.

besides, you should want to fix an oil leak anyway.
andyroo
Regular

December 2004
Re: Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah,

I know I went to the wrong place, some shitty Ford dealership/mechanic... Argh... and no, its not worth getting the oil leak fixed, it cost almost half of what the cars worth!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what u have ta put up with in a shitty car (from experience)

just make sure it is clean and smells nice .. that generally passes ur car
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup always a good idea to check the engine bay out and wipe out any excess oil, although it's bad that there is an oil leak somewhere..

My mechanic(before he retired) was looking at my old TA23 when he was giving me the pink slip he said.

"the boys found some drips of oil around the engine bay, they've wiped them up and we've passed the car".

He did tell me where they were and recommended I come in as soon as possible to get them looked at. He certainly didn't stop my getting my pink slip, that's a money grab unless it's a serious un-roadworthy issue like crap brakes, structural rust etc...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pft, my pink slipper looked at my car, popped the bonnet and saw non-engineered engine conversion, saw a smashed tail light and 2 bald tyres, and said "none of this was here when I passed it"

advantage of having the same mechanic for years I guess Smile
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it pays not to have your car pink slipped at a dealership.

Last time Toyota picked up a couple of oil leaks, power steering rack leaking, bald tyre, rear wheel bearing loose and a hole in the muffler?!? Took it up the road to get my tyre replaced (I knew it needed a new tyre, not complaining about that one) and they passed it first go.

The rest wasn't essential, at least in my opinion. None of the leaks were major enough to loose too much fluid, I didn't even have to top up oil/steering fluid between service intervals. Not too sure about the bearing, i'd say that was debatable. And the muffler was near perfect, certainly no holes in it. Maybe they failed it 'cause it was a bit grubby...

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2005 12:14]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Beware the pink slip Wed, 02 February 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 22:48

Yup always a good idea to check the engine bay out and wipe out any excess oil, although it's bad that there is an oil leak somewhere..

My mechanic(before he retired) was looking at my old TA23 when he was giving me the pink slip he said.

"the boys found some drips of oil around the engine bay, they've wiped them up and we've passed the car".

He did tell me where they were and recommended I come in as soon as possible to get them looked at. He certainly didn't stop my getting my pink slip, that's a money grab unless it's a serious un-roadworthy issue like crap brakes, structural rust etc...

what i find is the mechanic that doesn't pass a pink slip first time will generally NOT get my business again ... so i dont really think its the right tactic to get "more business"
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Beware the pink slip Thu, 03 February 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do my own pink slips so i dont have much trouble getting passed. i plan on getting a blue slip license eventually so i can change my engine number Very Happy

as for the oil leak, as per instructed by the RTA, the car is deemed to have an oil leak if during the duration of the inspection, a drop of oil lands on the ground. acording to the RTA an inspection takes 25 minutes, so if no oil leaks on the ground in 25 it doesnt have an oil leak.
magicmitch
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Beware the pink slip Thu, 03 February 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate needed a old sigma to get pink slipped and it had a bad oil leak so they drained the oil just below the leak so it wouldnt drip during the inspection..they had some oil with them so they just topped it up in the car park...BLOODY ROSES Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Beware the pink slip Thu, 03 February 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 21:39

i do my own pink slips so i dont have much trouble getting passed. i plan on getting a blue slip license eventually so i can change my engine number Very Happy

as for the oil leak, as per instructed by the RTA, the car is deemed to have an oil leak if during the duration of the inspection, a drop of oil lands on the ground. acording to the RTA an inspection takes 25 minutes, so if no oil leaks on the ground in 25 it doesnt have an oil leak.

huh that's very interesting about the oil leak and the time aspect. next time i am worried I will tell the mechanic "I know there is a bit of oil around the place but I put it over some cardboard and it didn't drip for over an hour."

That should get him.. but my car hasn't leaked in ages

magicmitch.. that is funny as.. poor sigma Wink
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Beware the pink slip Fri, 04 February 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the oil leak thing is wierd. ill tell you another strange thing about pinkslips: if your car has reverse lights and one doesnt work, thats a fail. if both dont work, its a pass.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Beware the pink slip Sat, 05 February 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless the rules have changed again, reverse lights haven't needed to be checked for like 10 years. I found it extremely odd that they made that change. I'd love to know when someone is about to reverse into me before it actually happens.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Beware the pink slip Sat, 05 February 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Fri, 04 February 2005 17:09

yeah the oil leak thing is wierd. ill tell you another strange thing about pinkslips: if your car has reverse lights and one doesnt work, thats a fail. if both dont work, its a pass.

what about the cars that only have one reverse light?
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Beware the pink slip Sat, 05 February 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is a pink slip in sydney like a canary in melb? Embarassed

agent_felix
Regular

October 2004
Re: Beware the pink slip Sat, 05 February 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 09:24

Alchemist wrote on Wed, 02 February 2005 22:48

what i find is the mechanic that doesn't pass a pink slip first time will generally NOT get my business again ... so i dont really think its the right tactic to get "more business"

what if the car is genuinly too shit to pass the pink slip? then they shouldnt pass it... that would mean they are better than people who pass it when it is in bad condition as they can stuff up on the road and injure people. therefore they should get business again as they will do their job properly
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Beware the pink slip Sat, 05 February 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be thinking from how it sounds, a pink slip is basically the nsw ver of a RWC and a blue slip is basically an Engineering Certificate *shrugs* I may be wrong...
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Beware the pink slip Sun, 06 February 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a pink slip is what u need to get to pass rego
in other words a mechanic looks over ur car and ticks the boxes and says ur car is raod worthy to have another years rego

a blue slip is when ur car runs out of rego for over a month (i think) or if u were doing it up and did not have rego on cos it was in parts and stuff.
anyways so when u get ur car together and want to rego it u need to get a blue slip (its a more indepth version of a pink slip)to allow it to get rego

that is my understanding

sorry if u cant understand im tired
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Beware the pink slip Mon, 07 February 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok, so pink slip is basically a RWC like i thought, but a blue slip is basically just a quick vicroads check, right-o Smile
shaneblack
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Beware the pink slip Mon, 07 February 2005 08:18 Go to previous message
It can certainly made a big difference as to where you take your car. I remember getting the Corolla passed one year. I took it to a steering and suspension place. They came back to me with a list of things wrong all to do with steering and suspension along with prices for what it would cost for them to fix it. They also picked up some rust that they said had to be fixed. I took the car to a different place, this time a tyre place and they picked up rear tyres needed replacing and number plate faded. Interesting how both places where so good at finding the thing/s that would make them money.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hot4's cruise. 10 car pileup on F3 bridge.
Next Topic:Chassis Dynamics for Celicas?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:11:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006544828414917 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.