Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 06 February 2005 12:48 Go to next message
Just received a pm about this OLD link , so i thought i would update it to answer the question and place it in the Rides section not the tech one as before .
*** old link dont bother posting there ***
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=169557&rid=1935&S=efc9f4516d7258b2f65b 92dbbcf8fc5f

UPDATED SPECS

Well heres as many specs as i can remember at the present time , might update it as there come to mind since its been over a year since i finished this conversion .

1.Toyota sprinter 1983{i think} , factory faded two tone,blue interior, 160.000klms old when i got it , one owner . It was one of maybe three silver and black two tones which was imported into SA as a ordering stuff up at the time .

2.Well where to start ? Maybe the front to back

3.Engine 83.000ks now
Red top SR20det , yes cover has had nissan machined off and is painted black heat finish . Power steering pump removed , A/C compressor still there working away , Modified sump internally , Modifed Fuel Rail , Original Turbo was a T28 which looked to have a T25g rear housing , gtir front housing odd ball special !.New Turbo is a GtSeries Bearing unit special specs just installed . All Braided 10mm ferrari 550 Fuel lines {thanks enzo}, speedflow fittings , Oil and Water also Braided hose fittings , Turbo to intercooler stainless pipe work , Evo cooler {Piping is one meter less than in a s13}, Custom Alloy to Throttle body piping . Hiace radiator modified holden end tanks , twin core , triple bypassed {To large needs down sizing } Idle bypass removed , Hks Pod filter adapter modified to Inner guard intake to K&N filter . Twin thermo fans 1250cfm . Xforce crap dump { modified to work }pipe to three inch cat , 2 1/2" exhaust system will be 3" soon{didnt do the exhaust myself and will never be happy with it till i do} . To many other things i cannot remember ! Ow the engine has been moved three time to get the best location custom subframes everytime .

4.Electrics to run the engine ,stock ecu modified signals , custom wiring to convert toyota to nissan wiring etc , Modified nissan relay box to hold more fuses , as well as aftermarket fuse box for fans & a/c , Mazda fuse box for charging system , custom loom and relays , positve to negative switching for the s13 dash , oil pressure guage and boost guage {only goes to 1.5bar will need replacing now} Apexi rsm for speed metering above 180 , apexi turbo timer , in car boost turn switch for signal change , two way alarm . Battery in boot . And everything still works as before .ahh crappy tape radio .

5.Brakes , Car has had the normal toyota pug set up , to R32gts four pots using 16" wheels , now runs the best set up so far , S13 Sr20det sloted brembo rotors with R33 N/A calipiers with Special made pads . Nissan Master cylinder , wilwood bias valve , all new lines , Rear nissan calipiers 280mm rotors , modified commordore cup pads . 220mm drum , with alloy mounting . Brakes can out do the tyre contact easy .

6.Suspension , S13 front uprights , modified to coilover , change to height adjustable , Ex nissan works modified koni inserts revalved , fully adjustable , magic shocks . kings porsche cup springs , T3 camber plates special built centres {Thanks Gabe} Modified strengtened lower arms , Custom built whiteline bar {never again shit service} Modified toyota mx links , hard rubber mounts , Modifed caster rods {reinforced} Noltec rubber , Sway bar is removable without pulling the caster mounts off , strut locatation adds camber scrub with lower arm relocated 2.5>12' when full lock , relocated steering rack , modified turns lock to lock . All alter roll centers etc . {the struts and hubs where 3.5kg lighter than the stock toyota ones }
. Rear , Relocated diff mounts , copy of ae86 group A {that car will be out on the track soon , look out for it in the historics } Adjusable panhard rod , adjustable upper arms , changed wheelbase , relocated springs perches , Moved shock mounts . Koni Saab rear shock custom valving fuly adjustable , Custom whiteline roll bar {There mounts lasted one track day then bent } custom mounts made with rod joint link rods , 8 adjustment settings , king springs , All changed rubber bushings . Cars track has been increased to 1560mm , wheelbase is a extra 60mm longer . Cars ride is smoother than my stock one .

7.Drivetrain, nismo clutch pressure plate {came in the half cut} Stock clutch disc , s13 5 speed box , custom light weight one piece drive shaft ,tail shaft loop , to 7 1/2 "nissan lsd diff modified by 25mm {rear is soon to be replaced by multi link} Perfectly straight driveline , 3" pinion angle . tough never touched it .

8.Fuel system , Stock Injectors , malpassi adjustable regulator , 10mm new fuel line ,braided line, Custom sealed tank in boot , fully vented and self draining . Containing a one litre surge tank , large fuel filter , porsche rscs bosch fuel pump with intank vdo pump , modified pick up , fuel system design for 550hp so lots in reserve still . {soon to all be moved into the tank so i get the boot space back , and the battery into the rear quater }

9.Body / interior , Matt dash so your not blinded trying to see out the screen , Saas seats , two seat mounts , one fixed and one with stock rails only every fitted the drivers seat lazy i guess , Machined steering boss since i could buy one with the correct spacing , rubber autotechnica wheel i picked up of a guy walking down a street in the city one night {cheap too} alloy floor plate under pedals , Fully inclosed bumpers with fibreglass , undertray , ducted air box .

10.Tyres . rims , race tyres are a032r 205/50/15 On works rims 7.5 inch nissan 38 offset , as well as skyline rims with dunlop lm901 195/50/15 wets 6.0 inch ,as well as some dr30 rims with some crap kurmo rubber as the spares .

Future modifications taking place atm , well after 20.000ks of being turned up a 1.0bar the old turbo started making some noise . So it was out and a huge two days work it was replaced by a GTseries bearing unit . All the intake piping was on the wrong angle , the heatshelds need changing , the exhaust dump needed cutting away internally for the larger wastegate . Then the Compressor housing would have hit the engine mount when the manifold was at full temp , so had to alter that too . I will not even go into the braided "kit" which all the lines where the incorrect lengths and the connections would have leaked for sure . Yes i have a spot free garage floor and thats how its going to stay . So thats the turbo , now to alter the boost and check the a/f ratio when the dyno is free .

Tommorrow also starts the next major modification , and that is a bloody rear end with some traction . I have spend so much time and energy modifying the live axle to handle having stupid amounts of torque applyied with some luck , but not the the level i would like . Without going to a four link set up with longer arms to equal the loading the rear design cannot handle the levels of torque the engine is now . I have a custom diff jig and four sets of lazer cuts mounts for adjustable live axle rear conversions still , and a half finished half toyota/nissan diff but i am calling it a day modifying live axle , this is the only live axle car i have ever owned and it will not stay that way . So after having a sprinter half cut and a s15 rear diff dropped off , i did a wrecker search and measure and have decided to make a s13 unit fit with out body modifications , then change the geometry to specs like my bmw first .The main problem with the live axle is , it locking solid when the cornering force is at the level when the inner wheels on a cambered corner start to lift above the road surface , then break away is very quick !! Also the uneven torque loading of the force piushing the tyres to contact at speed like 160ish in the wet , this force being uneven produces the car to silde in the less weighted wheel direction when force becomes greater than traction . In short the car jumps sideways at speed above 160 on track in the wet when boost comes in .The front end turns as fast as you want to rear cannot keep up . Also might fit the oil cooler some time .

Current performance before the turbochange was
160-180rwkw depending on boost and fuel setting . Top speed 252klph , on g tech and the apexi rsm for standing start{no stupid drag launch} has recorded 0-100 below 5 seconds , quater mile { not interested } and gearing is to high really .Fuel usage is 220ks per tank on the track , but once did 600 per tank easy driving , lap times have been ok{mostly in the top ten}once third in the wet , but the extra traction would improve that lots . Has left gt2 - gt3 - f360 challenges and lots of $250g+ cars for dead , car to beat would have to be the avo's s14 , evo r s15 , only once been quicker than the s14 , the 500hp s15 is far ahead in straight line speed but easily catch it on corners . Might turn the car to a total track car sometime soon .

Pics at : http://www.pbase.com/ae86sr20det2005

Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 06 February 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adam ive said it before and ill say it again...hot man, fucken hot Wink
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 06 February 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive met you a few times adam and you still cease to amaze me. you are the "god father of sprinters" quote jay Razz

great work, simply amazing

sab
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 06 February 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very impressive. I am keen to hear how the IRS conversion goes!

DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Mon, 07 February 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey adam, ur beast is unique as u. lol. maybe see u round. maybe oneday on the track !
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Mon, 07 February 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked

SC_Trueno
Regular

December 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Mon, 07 February 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surprised wow! i didn't know that your car was so jam packed with so much goodies. Shocked Adam how long did the SR20DET project take?

.Derick
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Mon, 07 February 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked i am speechless Shocked
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Mon, 07 February 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now thats an 86 to stay away from at the traffic lights
SOO fkn nice man, Love your work
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Wed, 16 February 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You lied to all of us.
Wasn't it suppose to be a 4ACT???

Nah the car aint a beast... He just got all of the REAL factory options. Laughing
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Thu, 17 February 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vroom vrooooooom!!!!! Very Happy
so uhhh... is the car quick? Razz jk man hehe

u may have been asked this hundreds of times before, but what was ur reason in using a SR20 than a toyota equivilent say 3S-GTE? (this time it can be public for all to see!)

-Jay
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Thu, 17 February 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok To answer a pm i got first .

Yeah 99% of the conversion was done by myself , the 1% was the exhaust system , which since coming off at the a drift night once i have since redone myself after three attempts by the exhaust shop to get it right .

It also took lots of calling autoelec's before the conversion started which all bailed as soon as the engine in the vehicle question was answered Laughing and all i wanted was a bloody solid battery wire to the boot . Thank god a retired autoelec walked into work one day , i asked looked at him and by change asked him what he did and bang , he said i could use all his equipment and he would just charge for the materials .
Since then we say in-contact helping each other along the way , he mostly does US left hand to right hand drive conversions so if he gets stuck on anything new he normally calls for some info off the net etc . Since i had not done that really hardcore wiring since school . Big A3 size printed wiring diagrams help lots Smile

Yes as per most things you need to do it yourself if you want a good job . Since the car was originally purchased for a visiting relative from oversea's to use to get him around i used that time . The most timely process was the planing and using/programming the suspension program to work out the front end . This took about three months working now and then to sort to a level which for the cost i am happy with . Planing and getting all the information sorted didn't take that long since there was no information to start with . Basically started with a clean sheet planned in in stages , crossing them off as i went . As for time it took three weeks while on holidays to get it to the driving stage , since then lots of small changes have taken place the most time consuming are the subframe in the motor position changes taking half a day to change at a time .

As far as the engine why did i not do a 3S-GTE , well its a long story . But mostly centers around that there was already one in this area , that car spend more time off the road with problems than being driven . The costs of that car /conversion and the n/a 3s-ge which where getting around at the time vs there performance and parts availability really didn't stand out as a worth while . If you cannot find a part for a sr then you haven't looked . Since then those other cars have moved on after lots of engine and the other using a east/west engine north/south problems if you drive hard , not one was every within the kw's of the sr output when it was stock .

Just also the fact that there was not another one in the state was also appealing , its just different . Price vs Performance of the car which it had to replace on the track was another issue , luckily the old track car was sold back to its original owner for a good price . The car has since cost less than the old car by a few thousand , but i have never had to do the ten suspension changes / and constant maintenance that the other cars needed .

Its all good but it might be time for another project over winter , the next one i might take components from a few more manufactures to start with . I am thinking very much about this car atm http://robx-.nopistons.com/userimages/c/c4977d75b1 e8.jpg
i don't know there something appealing about it .
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Thu, 17 February 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing @ yer sig adam Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Fri, 18 February 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 07 February 2005 00:10

hey!~!! that my line! Laughing Laughing
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Fri, 18 February 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Fri, 18 February 2005 19:37

MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 07 February 2005 00:10

hey!~!! that my line! Laughing Laughing

now now garth, sharing is caring Laughing
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Fri, 18 February 2005 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so.... does it drift?

Razz
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Fri, 18 February 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sat, 19 February 2005 04:39

so.... does it drift?

Razz

LOL yeh would be interesting
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sat, 19 February 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does your car drift Simon , since there allot in common as you know Smile But really the set up is neutral handling since thats the fastest set up for lap times . Its been sideways a few time and around in a big cloud of smoke at 180ks+ at Sandown , and out at he drift nights afew time . But is hardly easily controllable for drift since its always wanting to just bite and drive out of the corner . It did have heavier springs at first and it would have been much better for drift then . To get the car not wheel-spinning into third in the dry and still braking traction in forth gear in the wet took lots of work , but it still required more traction in the rear under power in the wet .

Now you lucky if you get a chirp in between first and second with just 195 road tyres , of course you can just overpower then if you roughly dump the power on .I guess tyres would last less than the 5000ks atm . But with the turbo on the engine now the power curve has been made much flatter , not that massive overload of torque at 4500rpm+ which sr are known for . This has made for far better traction because of the linear transition to peak torque .

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sat, 19 February 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will be going ahead with the sr20det conversion like you, because a 20valve will be too expensive to get a decent amount of power, and I can't figure out wether you are running a complete Nissan rear end or a toyota diff with some nissan bits on it.
And, in your opinion, would the t series diff would handle about 250ps at the engine with an SR20det. I don't want to have to resort to a hilux diff due to the weight.
Aslo do you have to change the struts to nissan items or would a good toyota setup handle it.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 20 February 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on your driving style. a T series will last if your not brutal.

have seen T series blow behind stock 4ages... depends on style
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 20 February 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with you there simon, you would think that with an SR or CA and having the extra power there that you wouldnt have to be as brutal on the drivetrain of the car (i.e. less of the clutch kicking)

but as you said, driving style is the key
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sat, 26 February 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan

As per the first part of the thread
"the struts and hubs where 3.5kg lighter than the stock toyota ones" That one point why

As far as the diff , well if you watch serious performance 7 you will see a sprinter aus spec diff dealing with about 170kw at the wheels , that was the only time a burnout was done on that diff but it lasted with the power . Its really all how you drive the car , if you are rough you will break it with a 4ac Laughing

But i don't think it would have taken the power figure today

247hp / 184.2kw 286.2nm @6146rpm at the wheels
349.5nm @ 4547 rpm . First run with the new turbo set up , actuator is still to softy sprung to keep the boost to maximum psi , dropping to 18psi .
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Fri, 04 March 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boost leak?
Maybe not so goot for driff.
Maybee quat schlottle bottie?

Make way for a paint job and n2 kit adam. BE A MAN!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!
taitran
Regular

April 2005
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 17 April 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much would it cost just to drop in a red top sr20det and gearbox.

And can the engine be engineered and whats involved. Ive got a s13 silvia halfcut atm what else is needed to carry out conversions.

Thanks
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Sun, 24 April 2005 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGE wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 18:20

BE A MAN!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

YOU COME BACK AND SAY HEEYYYYY! I WANT THIS BAG FOR THURDY FUR FIDDY, I SAY NOOOOO

sorry, couldn't help it.
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Improvedae86's SR20det AE86 Wed, 27 April 2005 11:18 Go to previous message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

u wrote that so well

u should see the whole clip...goes for abt 45 min....

Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Roys 1980 KE55
Next Topic:Drew's 86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:05:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075681209564209 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.