Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1?? Sun, 06 February 2005 07:37 Go to next message
Hey Everyone i've got a standard 3sge in a st162 celica sx...
Just wondering some ideas to get a bit more power out of it...

I've got a k&n panel filter and a redback muffler... The rest of the pipin is standard..

I was considering changing the piping from the cat back but i am already sitting on 87db and by the time i end up using so many resonators i will reduce performance due to the restrictions no doubt...

i was considering also getting extractors but as yet i'm still unsure due to the price vs power

I'm not after big power, just somethign that will make the car a bit more perky and fun to drive, its already loads of fun to drive i just want a tiny bit more power, maybe up the top of the rpm...

The last option was to get some aftermarket cams from Crows... I've been using billzillas idea on modifying the 4age engine and using it as a example for my engine... Wondering how 264 degree cams might go. i heard thats the limit on these ecus...

Any ideas would be great
Any other ideas for the celica st162 would be great too
Its got standard height Firmer rate king springs and a 18mm whiteline rear sway bar..
Thanx
Adrian!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1?? Sun, 06 February 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Full exhaust would definitely be your starting point mate.If its too loud, piss the redback muffler off or put in silencers. i wouldnt be touching cams unless you can change the computer int hese, they dont like it too much.

rule for NA is:
filter
exhaust
cams + ecu
throttle body port-matched
inlet manifold portmatched
port on the head

thats it mate, oh and fuel pumps etc to handle. so, your next step is exhaust-just do it already!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1?? Sun, 06 February 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC covered it all fine, but its worth bearing in mind that you are not going to milk all that much more power out of the first gen 3S-GE with all these mods anyway. And you are most likely to get a few more kW high in the rev range with the trade off being that you will move your peak torque higher up as well, reducing your low rev driveability.
Long term you would be better off considering a Gen 2 or Gen 3 3S-GE and start with more power (than these modsd would give) in the first place.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1?? Mon, 07 February 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
without soundin like im a d**khead.. your goin to spend alot of money and not benefit much at all. get an exhaust , keep the stock airbox with a k&n panel filter , and some extractors but they dont give a great deal.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1?? Mon, 07 February 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Mon, 07 February 2005 19:42

without soundin like im a d**khead.. your goin to spend alot of money and not benefit much at all. get an exhaust , keep the stock airbox with a k&n panel filter , and some extractors but they dont give a great deal.

I asked for opinions, u gave me one dude, i appreciate you goin to the effort, so in no way are u a dickhead....

Its not so much the benefit i'm just wanting to make the car rev cleaner and just feel a bit less restricted...

2.25" will cost about $140 which isn't bad for the power...

I'm not trying to get big horsepower, because the 3sgte is there.. I just wanna give my car a bit of a deeper more interesting note, let it breathe easier, and yeah get those gases out a bit easier, i think its being smart with modifications.. if i was gonna spend $800-900 yeah i reckon it would be a waste, but yeah these are generally cheap methods of getting a bit more out of the engines....
I love the 3sge gen 1 and the st162 sx, i bought the st162 sx with the intention to keep the 3sge because its a great motor, i just wanna see its potential only a bit higher i'm not expectin huge things, personally its a awesome engine already and i'll happily drive it, i just want the basic NA mods...

Any other thoughts on the piping toymodders?
Regards
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1?? Mon, 07 February 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get all your piping done keeping in mind what sorta power you are seeking in the future.

Then, get some goddamn hot camshafts and an aftermarket/piggyback ecu.
Jamier
Regular

February 2005
Re: Next mod for a 3sge Gen 1?? Mon, 07 February 2005 11:06 Go to previous message
the piping that runs from your head to the intake manifold...its near the dissy...block that up, its an enviromental thing, used to recycle exhaused fumes..you dont want that.....also, take the catalatic converter off, and bash the insides out of it, let it flow...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AG RWD block VS 4AG FWD block
Next Topic:Diff adn Gearbox Oil
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 1 02:45:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057058334350586 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.