Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Forsythe
Newcomer

February 2005
How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Sat, 05 February 2005 04:22 Go to next message
Well, I'm about to be the proud new owner of a '77 TA23 Celica, but I want a little more power in it, so I was looking for an engine compatibility list and I found yours (Here). Now, I know it says that the engine will fit, but at the top of the page it also implies that such an operation may take a bit of work.

So, I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this or a similar swap, or if anyone knows how well this would work. I'm willing to put the time in, but if costs (after the engine) will exceed ~$1000 USD, or $1300 AUD with the exchange rates at the moment, then I'd have to think about it.

Thanks in advance, and I really like these forums so far... *points to registration date*.
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Sat, 05 February 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I think you're gonna need a bit more than $1000 dollars to do it. Also, I think you'll need to do some work on the firewall to fit the engine into an RA23. However, I'm not too learned on the 7M-RA23 conversions so perhaps soemone else here could enlighten you.

Why don't you put in a 3SGTE or something like that? It'll fit into your engine bay without major body work, it'll probably be lighter and therefore cause less handling issues than a 7M and with the turbs this engine can develop enough HP to keep you both happy and in trouble.

seeyuzz
river
Forsythe
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Sat, 05 February 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After doing a bit of research, it would seem that the 3S-GTE is an AWD motor? Is it possible to convert an old FR Celica to AWD?

And, just for a ballpark kind of number, how much do you think the 7M-GTE conversion would cost? I could probably go up to $3000 or so in expenses after the motor, but what all would need to be done? Firewall work probably wouldn't be a big deal, my dad's got quite a few mechanic/junkyard/autobody friends so I probably have the manpower for it...

If you don't want to go into vivid detail, is there a site (or place on this site?) you could suggest? Thanks!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Sat, 05 February 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Sorry, I meant 3TGTE engine. Also check out 1GGTE engines. Do a search on these forums 'cos there are a few people who have put these engines into their RA23/RA28 Celicas.

One RA23 with a 3TGTE made 184kw at the rear wheels at the last dyno day. That's plenty of power for a little car.

Also, you'll need to beef up your brakes, gearbox and diff and no doubt need some suspension work to take this power - all up it adds to the cost. It's not just the engine costs you need to worry about.

seeyuzz
river
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Sat, 05 February 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before. Yes it is possible, in that it will physically fit in the engine bay (with enough persuasion), but we're talking a LOT of work here and the resulting car won't be good for much except the drags with that huge lump of iron way up front. There are better options but if you really want to do it, there's no reason why you can't. Better increase that budget a fair amount though. Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Mon, 07 February 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup it has been done before and if you already have the engine and supporting gear such as transmission ecu loom intercooler etc then you could get away with it for that price.

You may need to mover the radiator forward which will restrict your intercooler thickness but they do fit.

From what I have heared they do end up very nose heavy with this engine in, but as long as you happy to insult people on a straight track and not one with corners, then I say go for it.

Contray to popular opinion, the 7M is a great motor. Very Happy
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Mon, 07 February 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i read an article on www.classic-celica.com maybe? and aparently it isnt a very difficult swap at all. but thik of all the extra weight.
Forsythe
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Mon, 07 February 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the biggest thing, the weight Confused

I jumped into this pretty prematurely... I kind of looked at the list and went "V6 turbo? I like it!", but since this car will be a rally car eventually, I'm thinking I should just go with a more powerful 4 cylinder motor. Any advice on one that would be a (fairly) simple conversion? I know turbo's nice and cuts times on the course - I've seen this in the passenger seat of two WRXs, one with turbo and one without, that were about 40 KM/h apart from eachother at the end of the same straightaway - but I guess it's not... mandatory.

Bleh, I'm such a newbee Razz
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Mon, 07 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V6? 7M is an inline 6...

Unless I missed a post or something Confused
Forsythe
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: How hard would it be to drop a 7M-GTE in a TA23? Mon, 07 February 2005 07:41 Go to previous message
Ugh, yeah, straight 6. That's what I meant, I'm just used to saying V6 because I've always been around old American cars.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cleaning Engine Bay
Next Topic:Amp to power Kicker S10L5
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:26:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047998428344727 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.