Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 03:05 Go to next message
as the other thread had 50+ replys before it got "moderated" and has now been officially censored...I thought we could have another thread where we can say whatever we want...

if anyone on this board would like to add their name in support against this new ruling, please add your name below..

1. chrisss
  Send a private message to this user    
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fail to see how having a big girlies blouse whinge here and wrongly assuming that we'll never be able to import anything again will make any difference to anything.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Horse has bolted dude. You may try and shut the gate, but the Horse still won't be in the padock.

May I suggest moving to N.Z. so that you may import anything, anytime, from anywhere?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar has said exactly what i was going to say. The talk of this law changing has been around for over a year now, and trying to do something about it now is like putting on a kevlar vest just after you've been shot - it's not going to achieve a whole lot.

Just for your reference, here are some of the previous discussions on the 15 year rule.

**found by doing a search for "import" in the topics in general chat section.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=370683&rid=883&S=25643b4dcd9dd1ea120fc 235b5c318e7

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=468970&rid=883&S=25643b4dcd9dd1ea120fc 235b5c318e7

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=151630&rid=883&S=25643b4dcd9dd1ea120fc 235b5c318e7

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=61765&rid=883&S=25643b4dcd9dd1ea120fc2 35b5c318e7

chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I agree, I have read those threads....

do you want to add your name or not?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This law change has been in the pipeline for so long , and it finally happened . Smart people in the trade have already purchased the vehicles before the change and i guess there cars will be slowly filtering in over the next three months .

Yes its a pain in the ass but people knew it was going to happen . Lets face it , the used car market at the moment is so stuffed already due the amount of cheap new cars from markets like korea etc . So i guess they also felt that dealing with the dodgy importers , which most didn't do themselves any favors was too much of a pain . As well as protecting the already crumbling local car economy .

Now if you are really concerned that this has occurred . Think that after a while you will see the prices of the cars in question come crashing down . Followed by increased insurance costs on these cars due the flow of these vehicles for parts stopping to .

Lets face it if your where to have a close look at these vehicles its not hard to see why . Most 15year old imports cars don't pass ADR's , no side intrusion bars to start with , seatbelts etc , there minor problems compared to the fact that they come from country's which don't have offset roll over tests . The construction of most of the mostly imported cars ,ie s13's etc wouldn't get close to passing shit , just look at the turret construct next time you walk passed a half cut .

Then add there less than perfect life , plus not correct emission controls and do we really need cars like that when locals car are worth shit all second hand after a few years .

Yes its a bummer that we don't get some models of cars which are good . But think of the poor americians which have had emission crazy rules which make even the most powerful cars not worth owning if from other markets . And there stupid 5mph impact rules , which make sports cars wear huge bumpers .

Hey there's even just been changes to the import rules in New Zealand too , car must have airbags , and pass a frontal crash test . So its not just us which has had the changes in this area .

No amount of petitioning will change it now its all to late , the importers didn't challenge it happening since there so disorganized . If there where professional run organizations there would have easily got a action together , and sure there might have been some changes . But now i guess they will go into just the organizing of the personal imports for people , or more dodgy parts importers Laughing .
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 16:14

The Horse has bolted dude. You may try and shut the gate, but the Horse still won't be in the padock.

May I suggest moving to N.Z. so that you may import anything, anytime, from anywhere?

Actually, NZ laws have changed. Imports have to comply with frontal impact standards, so anything older than 1996 is really a no go. There are some exceptions for older cars but I haven't bothered looking into the rules for that.

Callum
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got an email that said its still going until the bill is officially passed... So fellow toymodders... you've got about 3 weeks to put down your payment!!!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86,

actually, with a 15yr old car you have to modify it yourself and get and engineer's certificate to pass some basic ADRs.

Most notably are:
# side intrusion bars
# high mount brake light
# flat drivers side wing mirror
# retractable rear seatbelts
and a few others.

Once you have performed those, you get an engineer's certificate then register your car with a blue slip (or your states equivalent).

Its not quite as simple as you might think....
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how different, or more difficult, will that process be once the new law kicks in?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
" Most 15year old imports cars don't pass ADR's , no side intrusion bars to start with , seatbelts etc " See the Etc there , but forsure it really depends car to car . With lots of European cars normally alot more changes to be made than most Japanese cars . Like for instances south African Bm's or Alfa's , some don't even have cat converters or passenger side mirrors because there no required for that market .

Purple_Beasty , it seems like the time of car being actually the correct price for there worth might be changing over there . But is a 1996 or later jap import really very expensive over there compared to here , i was just looking in the autotrader from there and cars are still very cheap compared to here .
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Tue, 08 February 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what does this import law mean? I couldn't be bothered reading it.
does it mean that we can no longer import cars into aus?
Sorry for the laziness!

-Whitchy-
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Wed, 09 February 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHITCHY wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 23:33

Sorry for the laziness!

-Whitchy-

If you're too lazy to read it why the hell would anyone bother to explain it to you?
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Wed, 09 February 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 11:23

WHITCHY wrote on Tue, 08 February 2005 23:33

Sorry for the laziness!

-Whitchy-

If you're too lazy to read it why the hell would anyone bother to explain it to you?

I feel this is paying too much attention, and too much time on Whitchy's request. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Wed, 09 February 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cars will always be cheaper in Japan because they are heavily subsidised and thus people buy new cars instead of buying second hand ones, thus a second hand car can lose 75% of it's (already cheap) value in a few years. People also don't keep multiple cars
(except the wealthy) because having a car means paying for carspace every month.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Thu, 10 February 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of you probably got this too but alot may not have so here it is, from prestige motorsport email spam list!

So you've heard about the insane rule changes announced by the Minister on 7th Feb. You're struggling to make sense of the so-called 'transitional arrangements' that simply mean a mad rush for 3-weeks, and you are disgusted by the decision which goes against all commonsense and logic. Perhaps you angry about it all but are not sure what can be done or who to complain to. Well it is nearly too late, but in politics it is never too late.

We need your help to send letters, faxes, e-mails, or to make phone calls.

If you ever want a GTO, or a Cosmo, a cheap R32 GTR, 300ZX, Series 6 RX-7, EVO, NSX, Mercedes, BMW or a multitude of other models that this change will BAN from our shores, then you need to act now. And I mean right NOW. Tonight. Tomorrow. If you put it off, or wait until next week, it will be too late. Would you rather be able to say you at least made an effort, or will you say you stood by and let it happen. Post a quick letter, send a fax, e-mail if you have to, but do something. Then tell your friends about the ridiculous changes and ask them to complain too.

Politics is a fickle business. Some of you may have heard of the trouble that The Hon Jim Lloyd found himself in today. Poor Jim had a bad day, read here about the rorting allegations:

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_pa ge/0,5936,12199513%5E953,00.html

With kind permission we have reproduced the following from the r34skyline website at: http://www.r34skyline.com/

What can I do to stop this nonsense?
There isn't much point talking to DOTARS, as they will quite happily tell you (off the record) that they are doing it to keep the major car importers happy. DOTARS knows (though doesn't officially admit) that these changes have nothing to do with anything actually mentioned in the press release or FAQ above.

You need to talk to their political masters, soon and loud.

The first one is the Minister for Local Government Territories and Roads, as he made the announcement - The Hon Jim Lloyd
His Parliament House contact details are -

The Hon J. E. Lloyd MP
Member for Robertson
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Ph: (02) 6277 7060
Fax: (02) 6273 7112
Email: J.Lloyd.MP@aph.gov.au

Send a letter if you can (fairly quickly), if not then (in order of preference), FAX, ring, or email (politicians tend to ignore email more than they ignore everything else, but it is still better than nothing). He is already under substantial pressure (see this article) so it will be interesting to see his response if a few hundred people start to say how unhappy they are with what he is about to do!

And the same for our Minister for Transport and Regional Services, the Hon John Anderson -

The Hon J. D. Anderson MP
Member for Gwydir
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Ph: (02) 6277 7680
Fax: (02) 6273 4126
Email: John.Anderson.MP@aph.gov.au

The next one to complain to, if you are one of the many small businesses that are going collapse because of this proposal, is the Minister for Small Business and Tourism, the Hon Frances Bailey. Her contact details at parliament are -

The Hon F. E. Bailey MP
Member for McEwen
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Ph: (02) 6277 7450
Fax: (02) 6273 9394
Fran.Bailey.MP@aph.gov.au
-------------------------------------------------- ------------

I guess if u want to do something this is how to do it.

Cheers

Dust

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 15 yo rule abolished (non official thread) - PETITION Thu, 10 February 2005 12:30 Go to previous message
the truth of the matter is that nissan toyota mitsubish etc should have sold these cars here in the first place would have been much nicer to have a chaser than a avalon would have made the local boys sit up and take notice thats for sure
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:The Intial D roads used incar vids
Next Topic:PhotoChop's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:39:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049738883972168 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.