Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » reusing a metal headgasket???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

reusing a metal headgasket??? Fri, 04 February 2005 22:30 Go to next message
what has to be done in order to reuse a copper/metal headgasket. just spray copper spray on it???
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Fri, 04 February 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metal should not be re-used. If you do a search on annealing copper head gaskets you will dig up a bit about it - both here and google.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Fri, 04 February 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, you'll need to have the copper gasket annealed (read softened up again) before re-using it. Basically you need to heat it back up to almost cherry red (not quite-but get it pretty toasty) and then allow it to cool sloooowwwly. A heat treatment worshop should be able to do it properly.

cheers
sean
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sat, 05 February 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean is correct that the copper needs to be annealed (re-reading of my earlier post was not clear on this matter).

You don't necessarily need to cool it slowly, rather if you do (cool it slowly) you get more contamination of the surface (1 way to defeat that would be to treat it in a vacuum oven).
Other than that - most literature that I have read on the annealing of copper (and brass) is to cool it with water quickly.

With reference to the re-use of metal HG (multi layer steel I assume) is NOT to be re-used.

Do the search "annealing copper" here on the forums, there is plenty of reference material in past threads.

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sat, 05 February 2005 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah-so it's a quenching process rather than normalising then? Perhaps that's why I had so much trouble with my copper HG........??????? (or possibly just incompetence in general....more than likely....)

Sean

Sean
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sat, 05 February 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. well looking into i guess its better if i just get a new one rather than the price of redoing it and then theres still the risk. thanks for all the info
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sat, 05 February 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly what sort of motor and what sort of gasket do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sun, 06 February 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
copper gasket = about $80 from Ridgecrest engineering.
SprinterTRD
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sun, 06 February 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We reused TRD metal head gaskets all the time without any problems. You just need to reseal the layers when you bolt down the head.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sun, 06 February 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got quoted over $200 for a copper head gasket for a 18rgu through a qld supplier hence the reason for reusing. Anyone know where to get one cheaper in qld area
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sun, 06 February 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate your probably better off getting it from ridgecrest engineering and get them to post it to you... that would probably cost no more than $100

so if you can find one cheaper in qld then go for that
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sun, 06 February 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SprinterTRD wrote on Sun, 06 February 2005 12:32

We reused TRD metal head gaskets all the time without any problems. You just need to reseal the layers when you bolt down the head.

that is really cool to know. How did you re-seal them and what sealing compound did you use?

I have read in the past that Hylomar is supposed to be good for use with shim metal headgaskets too.

I figured against their re-use based on the embossing being flattened.
ta22gt
Regular

February 2004
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Sun, 06 February 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ben if you want to have a look at one of ridgecrests copper gaskets let me know as i have got one sitting in the shed here
Nev Evil or Very Mad
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Mon, 07 February 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im willing to look at anything but i need to organise to buy one...
ta22gt
Regular

February 2004
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Mon, 07 February 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
contact me i can give you their contact details or i may consider sellin the 1 i have here 0418530166
nev Evil or Very Mad
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Tue, 08 February 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just ordered my 1.6mm thick copper head gasket for the 1G i cant wait to see what it is like Smile
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Tue, 08 February 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much would u sell it for...is that where u got this one from...has it been used???
ta22gt
Regular

February 2004
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Tue, 08 February 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it is a ridgecrest 2mm copper gasket prob around $80it is also 93mm bore for memory as it was on my motor
jkvsnn
Regular

June 2002
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Tue, 08 February 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the 1.6mm copper headgasket being discussed here "just" a profile cut piece of copper plate or is there more to it than that?
If it's just copper plate then if someone would lend me one I could get a quote to get some made.
Are these used to increase the compression? Anyone got one for a 20V silvertop and would I need to wait till I get an aftermarket ECU to use it safely?

Cheers,
Julian.

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: reusing a metal headgasket??? Tue, 08 February 2005 14:22 Go to previous message
^^^

i couldnt tell you untill i got it dude
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:UZS131 Crown Information
Next Topic:quick query: size of bolt attaching pulsation dampener to 5ME fuel rail
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:13:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067718029022217 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.