Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 10:33 Go to next message
I am sure this has been covered before I couldnt find it in a search. Anyway here goes:

I have a 4age 20 valve silver top with a modified factory loom with an original ECU. I also have a spare Wolf 3.1 with everything I need. Now would there be much of an advantage in running the Wolf instead? I know I should gain something because I wont need that restrictive air-flow meter anymore but I am not sure how much. It wil be running a low restriction exhaust with long primaries, a large volume airbox, longer than standard intake runners, 4 coils with 2 x M&W twin channel ignitors powering it. I am also thinking of running a thinner metal head gasket to up the compression.

It will have closed loop wired up correctly and will still run a cat. I know it wont pass EPA resrictions anymore but I wil hide the ECU and quite possible have a fake OEM looking one.
  Send a private message to this user    
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
search worked fine for me:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=24814&rid=4176&S=df50a65fbc2bf59efddf757 0d79c63f8&pl_view=&start=0#msg_343125

These may also be of some use

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=41872&rid=4176&S=df50a65fbc2bf59efddf757 0d79c63f8&pl_view=&start=0#msg_376652

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=38039&rid=4176&S=df50a65fbc2bf59efddf757 0d79c63f8&pl_view=&start=0#msg_338926

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=42177&rid=4176&S=df50a65fbc2bf59efddf757 0d79c63f8&pl_view=&start=0#msg_378808
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that, i must of used the wrong keywords. However I read all those and none tell me how much difference there is between the stock and aftermarket in power figures.

There may be another way though, it seems the average aftermarket run 20V makes 95kw, if that's so what is the avergae power figure out of a rwd 20V with a stock ecu? or better said a modified OEM ecu.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not wire the wolf up as a iintercept. ie unichip style.

you can hide it but still use its benifits whilst retaining some of the better attributes of the stock ecu like good idle etc?

food for thought.

Cheers

Nathan
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not sure how that would work, an inteceptor is an interceptor and an AMS is just that, they do very different jobs and I dont see how a wold can be programmed to do work with an oem unit. Besides I can sell my 20V RWD loom + ecu for a nice price
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrmmm interesting point.

i cant remember where i heard but it was that an aftermarket ecu was wired in parallel with the std ecu. Now i remember it being a full replacement system that was just used in a unichip fashion.

maybe it was a feature of said aftermarket computer?

bah bugger it.... retrofit the walf guts into a 4age ecu casing ... should look the part. Very Happy

Nathan
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently a cordia has a pretty big ecu casing, with no mitsubishi markings onthe outside and the back pannel where the plug is revovable so it might be well worth looking into. I guess I would install a fan to make sure it stays cool.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam Q , i just looked at your link :

http://tacticalevo22.proboards7.com/index.cgi?boar d=project&action=display&num=1094051575&am p;start=<br />

Thats wilson old engine right ? what coils are you running on that engine now , the same ones used in the conversion .

Also there might be a few different ecus on 20v's at the dyno day at the end of the month .

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah your right it was Wilsons, although the way the electronic were done was horrid. I knew something was wrong with it when i bought it however. Basicly the guy who converted it used some dodgy elecronic kit to convert it to a waste spark setup using 2 ignitors of an unknown type. The kit did a crap job though and it didn't let the engine rev past 6500 revs, probably not enough processing power and probbaly also putting the ecu into limp mode. The guy must also of been a bit stuck up as he purposefully rubbed the numbers off the I.Cs so I cant identify what he used. The rest of the loom was done really nicely though. Oh well one nice aftermarket module will remedy all this.

What I wil most likely do is to run it with the module on the factory loom, get it running right then start mounting the bits for the wolf and convert it.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the coils where GZE units ? but its so long since i have seen that engine . So you changed the coils ? and now it runs over 6500rpm right ? Also you might meet that guy at the dyno day and maybe see his aftermarket ecu wiring .
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: 20V silver Aftermarket Vs standard ECU Tue, 08 February 2005 12:45 Go to previous message
I dont know what their off, I bought my other engine (4agze) without coil-packs so I dont know what their supposed to look like.

I havent touched the electronics yet, the engine is in my shed and I am redoing all the work that had been done to it. I will get to the ECU soon enough. I have way too many things i am working on right now.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 February 2005 13:45]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tgeu redline???
Next Topic:KE20 Master cyl??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 13:15:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041511058807373 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.