Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Tue, 08 February 2005 12:04 Go to next message
I just got my Cressida back from the mechanic who did the conversion and the p/s pump is noisy and carries on.Do they have a common problem with them?

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Tue, 08 February 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My power steering was a bit noisy when i first got the supra , but it just needed the fluid topped up ... lucky i guess
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Tue, 08 February 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the 1j power steering pumps arn't much chop. At low RPM mine's harder to turn than a car without power steering. At any rate, check your fluid levels (although I assume they'd be good considering you just got it back from a mechanic) or find out about replacing it with one from a different engine? (I'd like to know if this is possible also)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Tue, 08 February 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't see it being any different to the GA70 one on my car. Providing it has fluid it shouldn't be noisy as well. As for effort, make sure the vacuum lines are properly set up, mine is light as to turn at parking speeds.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Tue, 08 February 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a few problems with the 1jz p/s pump - the first one the front bearing went and scored the shaft, and the second one (2nd hand) was always pretty noisy too. Make sure that it's been bled properly for a start - that can cause the whirring noise when you turn and low speed.

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Tue, 08 February 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 09:46

I had a few problems with the 1jz p/s pump - the first one the front bearing went and scored the shaft, and the second one (2nd hand) was always pretty noisy too. Make sure that it's been bled properly for a start - that can cause the whirring noise when you turn and low speed.

Exactly like mine, its getting refurbished as we speak. Mine also was hard to turn at low rpm.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Tue, 08 February 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 09:52

lumpy wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 09:46

Exactly like mine, its getting refurbished as we speak. Mine also was hard to turn at low rpm.

In the end it ended up being that all the seals on the second P/S pump (I own Lumpy's old car) were buggered and air was getting into the system on load staving it of oil. This had caused wear on the pump internally.

Had the pump rebuilt with new parts and got all the old hoses replaced at the same time and its as good as new.

It was not a cheapest option but was worth it, as it is brand new now.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Wed, 09 February 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did it cost you to rebuild the pump if you don't mind me asking?
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Wed, 09 February 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$566.80 to be exact Smile

Overview of the job was "Seals & O'rings hard, Pump internals badly damaged"

So basically it involved,

- New bearing kit
- New Pump Seal Kit
- New Pump element
- misc parts (eg washers, clamps, fluid (transmax) etc)
- Labour (I am in the wrong trade)

I asked them to replace all the hoses at the same time

Basically I could have sourced another one second hand and had it installed cheaply, but 2 had already died so I was not taking the chance again.

Power steering system is now like new.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Wed, 09 February 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouch!

I think I'll just put up with my noisy pump for now. It works. Smile
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Wed, 09 February 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe

I tried to as long as I could but it was just so loud and made the worst noise that I had to get it fixed! Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Wed, 09 February 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine used to make noise when I 1st got it back
I was told it could be air bubbles in the lines from the conversion.
got quiter and quiter over time
mine makes a big squeel when car starts and now its fine.
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Thu, 10 February 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the fluid level first. it may be air bubble

drive it for a few weeks if still no good get one from a wreckers. i got one from sss in sydney, cost $150 cash. chepaer than rebuild.
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Thu, 10 February 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the power steer cut out on me today as i was flying into a corner,i shit myself.Thanx for the help guys,the motor has 6 months warranty on it i found out today so im sending the cressy back for a pump rebuild....
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ powersteer pump is noisy Thu, 10 February 2005 23:58 Go to previous message
Well, I got my bill back yesterday, was surprisingly a great price, fully rebuilt, by Terry Sheilds Toyota, for $240! Now its 100%!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MON of the 98RON fuels?
Next Topic:Jay Car kit...rev limiter and gear shift light...need info on igntion type!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:50:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052869319915771 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.