Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bootlegapparel
Newcomer

January 2005
Toyota Corona mods Mon, 07 February 2005 12:00 Go to next message
No, it's not a joke, well it is sort of...

Anyways, got an old corona and I'm bored so I felt like doing some stuff.

It's a 1985 Toyota Corona EFI 2.4L 22R-E I believe.

Here are my questions.

1. I'd like a LSD, is there any LSDs that will be a drop in?, and not give me a crap final gear? Or are there any that will fit in, and if so, will i need just the centre or more?

2. Are there any makers who have sports shocks and springs for the old corona since it doesn't handle that great and anything would make me feel better. Not interested in standard stuff, looking for some stiff springs and sporty shocks.

3. I was thinking about chucking on a 1GGZE supercharger or perhaps a 4AGZE supercharger, anyone have any comments on this? I don't believe it would be too hard, i'd remove the air con compressor and place it there, use that belt, move the air filter to the right side of the engine, run some piping up and over and have the air flow meter after the supercharger.

If I was to do that, which supercharger would be best? Would there be a need to have a new ecu, or could it just wing it and run?

Any tips or experience would be great.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Corona mods Mon, 07 February 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. If you have the Borg Warner live axle, you're pretty much screwed - you'll have to swap the entire rear end to get an LSD in there. On the other hand if you have IRS it's easy - you can get a second-hand diff centre from an MA61 Supra, or a new aftermarket one. There is lots of stuff available aftermarket for those diffs, including helical-type (torsen) centres like I have.

2. There may not be anything much made specifically for the Corona, but there will be interchangeable parts (eg RA65 Celica) which can be used instead. Have a chat to a good suspension shop, they'll be able to find something for you.

3. Supercharging a 22R-E is possible and would be successful to a degree, but there are more cost-effective options available. The 22R-E is a workhorse, it was never intended to be a performance engine - why else would it have been the engine of choise for the Hilux and Hiace for many years? There are many engine swap options possible which will do the job better and probably cheaper in the long run; the 1G-GTE is probably the best way to go.
bootlegapparel
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: Toyota Corona mods Tue, 08 February 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Nope I have IRS, I'll look into that diff thanks.

2. Suspension sounds good too.

3. So, would I need a new ecu or could it just run on the standard one? I'm doing this very cheaply and just for something to do, so if it does i won't go ahead, engine conversion would be goood but only if the car was in pristine condition.

And would the 4AGZE supercharger work? Or would that be a dog compared to the 1G-GZE?
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Toyota Corona mods Tue, 08 February 2005 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first things first, how much money you got to spend?

i'm getting a 3t-gte in the next couple of weeks for my corona Very Happy hehehe
bootlegapparel
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: Toyota Corona mods Wed, 09 February 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah not much

the engine just got an oil leak so i won't be doing anthing except the lsd

oh well
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toyota Corona mods Wed, 09 February 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GGTE would be my engine of choice for that car.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Corona mods Wed, 09 February 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the way to go

My Corona
bootlegapparel
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: Toyota Corona mods Wed, 09 February 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeah that's an awesome car, good luck with the sale

would be good to do to mine if it didn't have the rust
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Corona mods Wed, 09 February 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could bodge it to run on the stock ECU, but you wouldn't be able to run much boost... maybe 5psi tops. This would make it a torque monster but it still won't have a lot of power. If you can do all the fabrication work yourself it would be a fun little project, but otherwise it will cost way more than it's worth.

Definitely use the 1G-GZE supercharger, the 4A-GZE one is too small for a 2.4L engine.
bootlegapparel
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: Toyota Corona mods Wed, 09 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 09 February 2005 17:49

You could bodge it to run on the stock ECU, but you wouldn't be able to run much boost... maybe 5psi tops. This would make it a torque monster but it still won't have a lot of power. If you can do all the fabrication work yourself it would be a fun little project, but otherwise it will cost way more than it's worth.

Definitely use the 1G-GZE supercharger, the 4A-GZE one is too small for a 2.4L engine.

yep, that's pretty much the idea i thought, if i can do it cheap enough i might end up giving it a go, i'll put up pictures if i do

thanks
Mudgutts
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: Toyota Corona mods Tue, 22 February 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if any of you out there know this, but... from about 86 to 89, the hilux released in America had a 22R-TE engine in it that, i believe, put out 145HP stock. it used the CT20 turbo, other than that, i think it was just a 22R-E. I would assume it had a different ECU to cope with being boosted.
I've been thinking of importing one. they are hugely popular and heaps of parts, rebuild kits, mild and hot cams, ported heads...etc, etc are available on ebay.com (forget the .au). cheap too. try $280USD for a master rebuild kit that includes new pistons.

all you RT rona owners might wanna check it out.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Corona mods Tue, 22 February 2005 11:04 Go to previous message
The 22R-TE is still a truck engine and it's designed for uber torque at low rpm. It still won't rev and still won't make a lot of power. Think of it as a turbodiesel which runs on petrol!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hi all i am new and have just got my 1st car and new major help!!!
Next Topic:HELP !! 4agze wiring (where does it go)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:40:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062270164489746 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.