Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rollin
Regular

December 2003
AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Sun, 29 February 2004 18:28 Go to next message
hello people,

im having a delima at which car to buy next ... i have owned an AE86 as my first car but i sold it since i stuffed up itz 4ac and then i currently have an AE82 but im getting so bored at it ... so now ive managed to save up $10,000 cash and wondering if anyone can help me out a little by giving me some advices ... my choices are:

* AE86
or
* S13 Silvia

i know most of yous will say Sprinter but itz hard to find immaculate AE86 with nothing wrong and with an engine thatz descent and proper mods done to it ...

my max budget for now will be $10,000 but later on im going to be spending about another $5k on it when my next pay comes ...

all advices are appreciated ...

[Updated on: Sun, 29 February 2004 18:45]

Send a private message to this user    
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Sun, 29 February 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well.. Some of the sprinter guys i spoke with had previously owned S13's and sold them in favour of the sprinter. And say they would not turn back.

I have owned a S13 silvia previously and have sold it in favour of a Sprinter. And loving it.

S13

Comes turbo factory with CA18DET or SR20DET..
IRS rear end
R180 or R200 LSD
4 wheel disc brakes
updated interior
expensive on insurance

If you can get yourself a a Sprinter with a 4age or gze already fitted.. or buy a cheap sprinter and have the conversion done to gze. you will enjoy that.

But just my thoughts having owned both..
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Sun, 29 February 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess you could import a really nice ae86 from japan with that kinda money...

i like sprinters... lighter, smaller, more fun...

EASY TO PARK!!!

Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Sun, 29 February 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprinter with 4agze
buy the car and do the conversion yaself
will kill an s13 in speed and handling with right mods
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprinters are the kinda car you have to love to really want. are you prepared to source parts & do maintenance yourself or do you just want a car you can jump into and drive away in "set & forget" style?

a gze sprinter will go hard...but you wont beat a sr20det if you're in stock form
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for $10K you can have my sprinter Smile
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollin wrote on Mon, 01 March 2004 05:28

my max budget for now will be $10,000 but later on im going to be spending about another $5k on it when my next pay comes ...

$5k pay cheque? where the hell do u work? can i have your job, please
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10k will get you something nice in terms of an ae86.
Maybe something with an LSD, some suspension mods and a 4age.
Probably nothing real hot to look at though. It may get you an import trueno, though the condition will probably be a bit average.

But for the money, I'd rather get a silvia.
More aftermarket support. All have LSD (which is soo important in my books). The Sr20det is an awesome engine, and extracting power from these is pretty cheap. It's a newer car, and more sporty to look at. Pretty good handling too, just got to get used to it. A pretty good allrounder.

I guess the ae86 is a car that you gotta fall in love with, and really really want. But for general enthusiast driving, silvia works out to be a more bang for your buck option.

I guess it's a question of "Am I an ae86 enthusiast or not".

rock on.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IMO, if you want to get real power out of the thing in the long run, you should get the nissan, theres only so much you can do to the sprinter, but the 'ol sr20det has alot of potential, and theres shitloads of aftermarket support. my mate had a 180sx, and his was pretty quick, with not much mods (exhaust, up the boost, which was no good for his car, but anyway), and his car was faster than most others out there, beat a clubsport once, like a VT or newer (how i dont know, he also TOLD me this, so he might have been bullshitting me:?) so with 5k, you could do a fair bit and get it quicker than any sprinter.
but the sprinter is a more orginal car (for now, inital d is slowing taking care of that) so you wont be like heaps of other dickheads on the road with a turbo nissan. and if its a road car you dont really need to make the thing a 12 second beast, gze should probably do ya. less of a target for theives and vandals too. and its got abit of a sleepa effect going on.
personally, if i had 10k, i buy a 180sx, much more attractve than the silvia, but just as fast.
just my opinion, do with it what you will.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hit the nail right on the head.

with an s13, all you need is an exhuast/intake, a bigger intercooler/fuel pump/ water pump etc... Boost it up higher, and you've got yourself a mother of a road machine!!! Slaughter almost anyone out there. The internals are as tought as nails.

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a AW11? More of a sports look than the AE86, lighter too and with the same engine. But only a 2 seater. Sad

Anyway, just a thought.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s13's engines arent tough as nails.. they are actually relatively weak compared to other engines of same size/cylinders..b ut it has the biggest aftermarket following
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OR...

you could buy an AE86 and put a SR20 in it...

light weight, and an unreliable powerful engine with an age old design...*ducks for cover* Razz
nomuken
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Mon, 01 March 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

s13's engines arent tough as nails.. they are actually relatively weak compared to other engines of same size/cylinders..b ut it has the biggest aftermarket following

Actually the SR20's can cop a pounding, In japan most of the silvias in D1 are running stock bottom ends with 1.3 bar of boost albeit with a fatter head gasket and some good cooling, but thats pretty good considering how much the engines are revved in a drift car. As for the CA18's they are still great they just need a bit more tlc, and as for what steve said about putting an sr20 in an 86, its a great Idea u get the best of both worlds. Just my 2c

[Updated on: Mon, 01 March 2004 21:44]

rollin
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the advices guyz but i think i would be better off with the S13 ... i really dont have much time on my hand these days as i have a buzy work and stuff so i think ill go with the S13 since thier easier to source parts ... i am going to check out a 180sx this week end for $5500 but with a dead motor but an immaculate body and still all electrics and sunroof ... so i think this would be a great start if i can get it ...

and for those who were wondering why my pay is so high, i am a contract worker building computers and every 6 weeks i get paid ... so yeah itz kinda long but its worth it ...

anywayz thanks again guyz, i really appreciate all the help and advices ...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't wanna piss off the AE86 boys, but apart from the commonality factor I can't think of squat in the favour of the AE86 aside from initial purchase price and commonality.

My choice would be a 180SX...
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s13's > like a clitoris coz every cunts got one

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd rather a clitoris than something rare that isn't as good
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool ZzZzZ Cool
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an ae86 with the same money spent is just as good if not better than the s13 equivalent
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I somewhat doubt that. To even get the driveline to be as strong as the S13 would eat up most of your budget, and then there is finding good suspension for the same price, and engine mods...I don't see anywhere other than initial purchase price that makes the AE86 come out on top in that.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
each to their own i spose. i obviously cant sway your opinion.

Smile
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for 10 grand....

i dont really know much about ae86s or S13s, but id assume you could get an ae86 with a higher level of modification than an s13 for 10,000.

or, you could get an RA60/65 or MA61 celica or supra and whack a giant engine in...

iuve heard they can be used as nasty mean drift cars Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a chance Smile I'd still take my car for $10k Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personally, i agree with JCMF. The s13 is going to be heaps easier to get aftermarket parts for. You can just bolt all the good bits in basically.

Most of the done up ae86's seem to be custom jobs. Custom = $$$$!

It sounds like you want to drift by the choice of cars so pick the car with the most readily availably body parts! Smile
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some more points to think about... from a dumbass perspective.

1. Silvias/180s have pretty good straightline speeds. They can have some pretty rediculous numbers when they are mildly worked.
2. Bodykits are soooo cheap for these vehicles. Weight reduction panels are too. This means that if you smash one, you won't have to worry too much. Also, it won't cost a mint to look good.
3. Silvias/180s look sportier, and to the dumbass jock who don't know or respect the ae86, you look way cooler.
Especially if you've got one of those strawberry face sil80s. Fucken hot.
4. You could sound like a sick cunt on the roads with turbo charged spooling and blow off valve noises.

What does this mean? It means you hit two birds with one stone.. pickup the chicks + impress the blokes (looks and speed), and have a pretty maneuverable car good driving/handling car.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good car. And it makes more logical sense to buy it.

But if you are an ae86 advocate who's fallin in love with the lightweight, response, and agile feel of the ae86, then maybe not Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Tue, 02 March 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao, I think from the topic you can tell that rollin is not in love with AE86s, otherwise there would be no post... just an AE86. Very Happy

As for making each better, has anyone tested this out? And SR20 will go very hard very easily, and there is lots of support for them. Only problem is, lots of idiots seem to drive 'em. Smile
ae86-Levin
Regular

January 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my opinion i would go an AE86 as it isn't just another Silvia/180sx....

If i wanted a common car i would go out an by a vl Dunnydore...

The most common person i see driving s13's are moms....

Then second would be Sub pumpin wanks...

But then again.. each to his own..

You can't ask a forum of people to make the decision for you...

Its your decision in the end...

Common or Not so common...

Good luck...

Enjoy whatever you buy...
rollin
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey: hehe spot on ... i am going to be building a drift yet still a road car ... so im going to take your advice on your point about the body parts ... cheers

Sharaka: yeah your also correct, i have owned an AE86 in the past and i miss it yet i dont think im dedicated enough or inlove with them. Dont get me wrong, i really like how they drive but thier just not what i would deeply get attached to.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollin wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 13:45

Sharaka: yeah your also correct, i have owned an AE86 in the past and i miss it yet i dont think im dedicated enough or inlove with them. Dont get me wrong, i really like how they drive but thier just not what i would deeply get attached to.

s13 it is.

you have to LOVE an ae86 to make it worthwhile..
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 02 March 2004 18:16

I'd rather a clitoris than something rare that isn't as good

This is gold, I just yeld it out here at work and it holds it's own!!.......... Very Happy
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollin wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 13:45

Chris Davey: hehe spot on ... i am going to be building a drift yet still a road car ... so im going to take your advice on your point about the body parts ... cheers

how about me? how about my advice on looking like a sick cunt in an s13? Smile

geesh.. I want homeage! I want respect Smile
rollin
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe sorry dude i forgot to mention u in the credits ... yeah thanks for your great advices ... u really opened up my mind about the S13 ... haha nah but i dont wanna be like them guyz that drive past a group of people while letting the bov off hehehe ... but yeah thanks also to all those who gaved advices ...

cheers ...
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollin wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 19:29

hehe sorry dude i forgot to mention u in the credits ... yeah thanks for your great advices ... u really opened up my mind about the S13 ... haha nah but i dont wanna be like them guyz that drive past a group of people while letting the bov off hehehe ... but yeah thanks also to all those who gaved advices ...

cheers ...

No no, what you wanna do is DRIFT past while letting your BOV off. Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Wed, 03 March 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 20:07

rollin wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 19:29

cheers ...

No no, what you wanna do is DRIFT past while letting your BOV off. Very Happy

so u drive normally with a v8 commodore or something with a big bov going crazy on a stereo facing out towards all the bystanders
now THATS impressive!!!....... Rolling Eyes
btw.. ive actually seen that
sprinter85
Newcomer

January 2005
hy mate Thu, 10 February 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate was just wondering if you have any bumpers for sale or do you know where i can get one..is the one in youre pic an ausy bumper or a jap one?thanx please wb.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: hy mate Thu, 10 February 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man this is like the crow/eric draven, being brought back from the dead after almost a year Rolling Eyes
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Thu, 10 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your all missing the point...

if you want pussy get the s13, if you want the girls to laugh at you, get the 86.

females dont care what engine you got, they want to see a high roller in a 1996 car, rather than a high performance 1984 car!

simple as that!

P.S. note for the thick, im voting sr20det silvia, because they pull harder than fabio
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Thu, 10 February 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
girls think my car is cute Confused
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: hy mate Thu, 10 February 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprinter85 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 21:41

hey mate was just wondering if you have any bumpers for sale or do you know where i can get one..is the one in youre pic an ausy bumper or a jap one?thanx please wb.

FUCKING NOOB Mad

seriously once u become a member, u should only be able to read, not make thread, for like a week or something.

This shit is just getting really annoying.

Oh and screw S13s, wheres the FUN!? Razz
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Thu, 10 February 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

schao wrote -
Quote:

3. Silvias/180s look sportier, and to the dumbass jock who don't know or respect the ae86, you look way cooler.
4. You could sound like a sick cunt on the roads with turbo charged spooling and blow off valve noises.

What does this mean? It means you hit two birds with one stone.. pickup the chicks + impress the blokes (looks and speed), and have a pretty maneuverable car good driving/handling car.

if your buying a car to impress people and your older than 18/19 then perhaps you need to get out more....."picking up chicks" with your car! - lameo, you'd have to adopt a whole new image (if thats not u already) to go along with the ultra cool S13..

if your buying it because you love playing with cars and have the time and money then I dont think it matters which u choose..

my choice would be buy a gze ae86 then upgrade it gradually and finally put in a 3SGE or 3SGTE...but thats because I find the S13 a little common and not that attractive - and certainly not more attractive than the ae86..

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Thu, 10 February 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisss wrote on Fri, 11 February 2005 00:44

schao wrote -
Quote:

if your buying a car to impress people and your older than 18/19 then perhaps you need to get out more....."picking up chicks" with your car! - lameo, you'd have to adopt a whole new image (if thats not u already) to go along with the ultra cool S13..

if your buying it because you love playing with cars and have the time and money then I dont think it matters which u choose..

my choice would be buy a gze ae86 then upgrade it gradually and finally put in a 3SGE or 3SGTE...but thats because I find the S13 a little common and not that attractive - and certainly not more attractive than the ae86..

I wasn't being 100 percent serious there! Very Happy. In actual fact, I don't remember writing this at all Surprised Surprised.

And FYI, no, that's not the image i've adopted.
I traded in a fully sick FC3S RX7 (which the chicks loved) for a red ae86 Levin (which the chicks bag)..

oh wells Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2005 13:55]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Thu, 10 February 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollin wrote on Mon, 01 March 2004 05:28

hello people,

im having a delima at which car to buy next ... i have owned an AE86 as my first car but i sold it since i stuffed up itz 4ac and then i currently have an AE82 but im getting so bored at it ... so now ive managed to save up $10,000 cash and wondering if anyone can help me out a little by giving me some advices ... my choices are:

* AE86
or
* S13 Silvia

i know most of yous will say Sprinter but itz hard to find immaculate AE86 with nothing wrong and with an engine thatz descent and proper mods done to it ...

i had the same dilemma and i ended up getting an ae92 levin Very Happy Very Happy

honestly, i couldnt find a decent s13 with sr20det manual for 10K. maybe i didnt find hard enough so for 10K sprinter would be better bet. leaves u with some cash for modification and 10K u can get a decent sprinter.

down side, sprinter interior (dash) doesnt look as good as silvias *runs n hide frm sprinter owners Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed *
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Thu, 10 February 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 01:56

shcao, I think from the topic you can tell that rollin is not in love with AE86s, otherwise there would be no post... just an AE86. Very Happy

As for making each better, has anyone tested this out? And SR20 will go very hard very easily, and there is lots of support for them. Only problem is, lots of idiots seem to drive 'em. Smile

rollin is in sydney. unlike melbourne, there isnt many s13s over there like over here nim. get an s13 there and u can still be cool (compared to melb)
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Thu, 10 February 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn just realised this thread is one yr old!!!! Embarassed Embarassed
rollin
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Fri, 11 February 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol didnt think id ever see this thread ever again ... well just so you guys know i wasnt able to find a descent sprinter at the time so i went ahead with the Silvia (SR20DET manual) for $10k and recently traded it for a 180sx ...

and no, i didnt get it to pick up chicks or to install loud bov and chrome wheels, infact im still using the stock plumback and wheels ... Embarassed

anywayz cheers ...
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 or S13 Dilemma *sigh* Fri, 11 February 2005 09:20 Go to previous message
you should have brought 2 cheap sprinters ,gave them a polish and some drift sticker and when your $5000 dollars come in sold them off to to try hard drifter wantabes and then take the money and buy a skyline Laughing Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Yet another Trading post ARSEHOLE
Next Topic:Black Widow Alarams, Any good ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:24:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099761486053467 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.